Vetting of e-mail addresses for posting

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 3 2011 7:39 AM

Many news organizations have a registration to post on their pages.  After one registers they then send an e-mail to the registered address and require a reply before the registrant can post.  I suggest that Logos do the same.  I suspect that some of the troll posts would go back to a common address.  In this manner those who are attempting to flood the forum from what are supposedly different addresses could be discovered.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 348
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:00 AM

George Somsel:
After one registers they then send an e-mail to the registered address and require a reply before the registrant can post.

Yes But I thought that only those who have an account could use this forum, or is that only in my dreams? Big Smile

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:05 AM

George Somsel:

Many news organizations have a registration to post on their pages.  After one registers they then send an e-mail to the registered address and require a reply before the registrant can post.  I suggest that Logos do the same.  I suspect that some of the troll posts would go back to a common address.  In this manner those who are attempting to flood the forum from what are supposedly different addresses could be discovered.

I agree that it would be great to do something.

But this probably wouldn't solve all the problems. I personally have 5 email addresses that I monitor regularly, e.g. If I ran out of those and wanted to come under another name I could still get a free email address at a dozen places on the internet and continue to post as much as I want.

Most ways of keeping out those that are unwelcome only make it a bit harder for them to come back (not impossible), and also make it harder for good folks to join in a discussion, or ask their first question.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:05 AM

George Somsel:

I agree with this. Some of the posts (particularly in the past week or so) have been toxic.

I noted elsewhere that Bob P. questioned whether these forums could be successfully moderated. Presumably banning users by IP address would be effective in some measure.

I know this will be less popular, but, given the nature of this forum (i.e. primarily users from a Christian tradition), I wonder if we should be required to register a brief biography with an approximate location.

There is such a thing as 'internet tough' which, in my experience, thrives on anonymity.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:07 AM

Ralph Mauch:

George Somsel:
After one registers they then send an e-mail to the registered address and require a reply before the registrant can post.

Yes But I thought that only those who have an account could use this forum, or is that only in my dreams? Big Smile

Yes, but under the current program one user address could have several user names.  All that would be necessary is to sign out from one account and back in under another.  Just for a test I did this myself once.  Registrants should be allowed only one registered user per e-mail address (I realize this may be a problem when a husband and wife use the same e-mail -- sorry, but I think it necessary).  If they attempt to post under multiple screen names from one address they are likely up to no good.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:19 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

But this probably wouldn't solve all the problems. I personally have 5 email addresses that I monitor regularly, e.g. If I ran out of those and wanted to come under another name I could still get a free email address at a dozen places on the internet and continue to post as much as I want.

Most ways of keeping out those that are unwelcome only make it a bit harder for them to come back (not impossible), and also make it harder for good folks to join in a discussion, or ask their first question.

True, but I want to make it as difficult as possible for those who would disrupt the forum.  Let them be required to register a dozen new e-mail addresses -- and ban every one of them.  If it were regular e-mail, each post would have a header which could be examined.  I believe it is possible to trace it back to the actual machine through the header.  The machine itself could be banned.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:37 AM

Not to disagree with your intent, George, but machine-tracking relative to emails hasn't been do-able for quite some time. But Logos does have the Logos installation that is machine specific (similar to MS and Apple).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:37 AM

George Somsel:
True, but I want to make it as difficult as possible for those who would disrupt the forum.  Let them be required to register a dozen new e-mail addresses -- and ban every one of them.  If it were regular e-mail, each post would have a header which could be examined.  I believe it is possible to trace it back to the actual machine through the header.  The machine itself could be banned.

You're talking about looking at the IP address in the email headers, what would be even better would be to check the MAC address of the sending computer (each computer has a unique MAC address). While are ways around this (post from different public computers, like in a library, would be the easiest), it does require much more effort on the part of the disrupter.

The downside is that it's not likely this forum software has the capability to do either of those things, though of the two the IP address of the email header would be the easiest to look at. If the forum software can't flag or filter IP addresses, these would have to be checked manually by someone - that means less money going into resource and software development. But it may need to be done for a while to keep out the current wave of trolls.

I'm quite sure there are folks at Logos contemplating their options about this. They stand to loose big time if the forums loose out to trolls, or if a portion of their customers walk away from the forums and start calling tech support instead.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 8:56 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
But it may need to be done for a while to keep out the current wave of trolls.

I suspect that what we have is ONE troll who thinks he is too cute by half.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:06 AM

George ... if you Google the phrase 'Two Dixie Cups, A String, A Wing, And A Prayer' and then select the entries going back to late 2010, you'll quickly see the problem. Compare the name of the Chris entries to where someone quoted Abi Gail. Kind of illustrates how the forum software database is structured.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:11 AM

Denise Barnhart:

George ... if you Google the phrase 'Two Dixie Cups, A String, A Wing, And A Prayer' and then select the entries going back to late 2010, you'll quickly see the problem. Compare the name of the Chris entries to where someone quoted Abi Gail. Kind of illustrates how the forum software database is structured.

Apparently you know more about this than I.  I miss the point.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:18 AM

That phrase is in the current Chris Thompson entries. If you look at the 2010 Google-search entries, you'll find that the screen name 'Chris Thompson' has overlayed Abi Gail's entries (best seen where someone quotes Abi Gail ... the screen name doesn't match the actual post).

My guess is that Logos is going to quickly have a legal problem, if I'm not mistaken. If not that, they're certainly going to have a customer problem since Google will have already have stored your false entry (and your reputation).

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:28 AM

Denise Barnhart:
My guess is that Logos is going to quickly have a legal problem, if I'm not mistaken. If not that, they're certainly going to have a customer problem since Google will have already have stored your false entry (and your reputation).

<Sarcasm>Joy to the world. </sarcasm>

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:45 AM

Hi George, I did not see your thread until after I posted mine.  Because emails accounts can be set up in a matter of seconds, I suggested that Logos use their MAC address(es).  There is a limit on how many computers, ipads, smart phones, etc... a person has access to.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:50 AM

tom collinge:

Hi George, I did not see your thread until after I posted mine.  Because emails accounts can be set up in a matter of seconds, I suggested that Logos use their MAC address(es).  There is a limit on how many computers, ipads, smart phones, etc... a person has access to.

I think yours is an excellent suggestion.  Even if they go to the library to post, they will be put to more trouble than if they can sit in their parents' basement in their underwear to post.

EDIT:  One thing I would change in your suggestion -- there are some posts that are so egregious as to be summarily banned with no warning.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 10:25 AM

Denise Barnhart:

That phrase is in the current Chris Thompson entries. If you look at the 2010 Google-search entries, you'll find that the screen name 'Chris Thompson' has overlayed Abi Gail's entries (best seen where someone quotes Abi Gail ... the screen name doesn't match the actual post).

Yes, now I see what you mean.  Have all of Abi Gail's posts been highjacked?

EDIT:  I've noticed her absence of late.

2nd EDIT:  Or was Abi Gail a troll as well?  I noted a certain tone to much posted under that name.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 11:44 AM

You'll also notice the spoofed post counts don't change from spoof to spoof. I'd be curious how the database software operates. If anything, today has been an interesting test-case for Bob (and demo'ing my own incorrect judgment about forums).

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 12:57 PM

Um, DMB...aren't you Abi Gail? I recall Abi Gail having the christiansedona link at the bottom of her (his?) posts.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 1:57 PM

David Paul:

Um, DMB...aren't you Abi Gail? I recall Abi Gail having the christiansedona link at the bottom of her (his?) posts.

No, that's not Abi Gail.  It is Denise Barnhardt.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2011 2:00 PM

DMB:

You'll also notice the spoofed post counts don't change from spoof to spoof. I'd be curious how the database software operates. If anything, today has been an interesting test-case for Bob (and demo'ing my own incorrect judgment about forums).

The only way I can think that this would happen would be if the poster created a new account for each post, but then it would simply begin at 0 and not contain any previous posts. 

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS