New English Bible [version 1960-1970] - & JB PHILLIPS New Testament in Modern English

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 7 2011 8:46 PM

I LOVE the NEW ENGLISH BIBLE translation [1960-70]. I came to know this version when I was using the facilities of a Baptist church to conduct our services. In a moment I sat by one of the bookcases and saw the version. I needed to consult a verse and took the Bible from the shelve for some minutes. I JUST GOT IN LOVE WITH IT. I dared to ask the senior pastor in a way that he gave me that Bible as a gift. Later I needed to move to Florida and committed the horrible mistake of giving it away [I needed to reduce my library]. It was a horrible mistake I did. I was blessed that God allowed me to find a nice and mint condition copy of the Bible through an used book web site. WOW! What a relief!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have been observing that this version is not included in Logos. Not to mention JB PHILLIPS The New Testament in Modern English! What a jewel! I LOVE THEM BOTH......................... 

I will be greatly blessed when I see these two versions. May the Lord permit it to happen AMEN! There was a group of people interested, but it went down. I want to open a new line of interest and see them soon in Logos.

In Christ Jesus,

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 3:27 AM

I certainly concur about the Phillips New Testament. Logos is aware that we want it. The best I can do is be sure that you are aware that it is available free online. ... 

http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm

Posts 11318
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 6:46 AM

Bruce Metzger quoted F.F.Bruce in his 'The Bible in Translation': http://www.logos.com/product/2816/the-bible-in-translation-ancient-and-english-versions

"Of all modern English translations of the New Testament epistles, this  [Phillips]  is one of the best—perhaps actually the best—for the ordinary reader. The reader who has never paid much attention to Paul’s writings, and finds them dull and sometimes unintelligible in the older versions, would be well advised to read them through in Dr. Phillips’s version. He will find them (possibly to his surprise) interesting and (more surprising still) remarkably relevant to the present day and its problems."

By the way, if you don't have Metzger's book, it's quite readable and quite affordable. It essentially looks at the translations of the OT (LXX, etc), and then the NT (Latin, english, etc). It's not meant to be a 'critical' study but rather key features.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:16 AM

Thank you Chris. I didn't know that was available online; that is great. As an extra blessing having it in Logos would help reducing time in having to access other web pages and also could integrate in the note preparation. Lets keep moving this and see if we can get our goal met.

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:18 AM

Hi DMB:

Thanks for the reference on Metzer. I will definitely check on this resource. It looks very interesting.

Rev. Nannette La Fosse

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:47 PM

Here is a good rendition of Phillips!          http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPhillips.htm         *smile*

Peace to all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 891
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:52 AM

We are not far from pushing the NEB over the line...

Go to the Pre pub page and be part of historyYes

Posts 818
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:04 PM

Just a few more and it's there ... go on you know you want to!

Posts 891
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 4:50 AM

Two quality BIbles on Pr-pub

NEW ENGLISH BIBLE (1970) AND REVISED ENGLISH BIBLE

http://www.logos.com/product/24552/the-new-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

http://www.logos.com/product/24537/the-revised-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

Your Logos library is not complete without them (IMHO).

Wink

Posts 1
Marina Tieken | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 5:29 AM

Would love to see this added. 

Posts 1391
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 5:44 AM

Marina Tieken:

Would love to see this added. 

The NEB and REB are available to buy.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 12:18 PM

JB PHILLIPS New Testament in Modern English is not yet available in Logos or most Bible software, Online Bible is the only place I have ever seen it, although I have lost access to it  in my regular computer set up since they stopped developing the mac version (not to be confused with Online Bible Europe who do have an iOS and mac app, but modules are few and must be purchased in APP), luckily I kept a copy in sheepshaver (my OS 9 emulator). It is for whatever reason very hard to get permission for electronic rights ....

-dan

1972 New Testament in Modern English by J. B. Phillips

The Bible text designated Phil is from The New Testament in Modern English by J. B. Phillips. Copyright (c) 1958, 1959, 1960, 1972 by J. B. Phillips. The electronic text and KJV verse synchronization is copyright 2000 by Larry Nelson. Published with permission of Mrs Vera Phillips and the J. B. Phillips estate. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS