Sermon File Addin?

Page 2 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 3:59 PM

I realise this has been done to death, however, experiencing the bad providence of buying 'Sermon Addin File' just prior to L4 release and since then waiting more or less patiently, does anyone know (Logos staff?) when it will actually arrive?  The 'features coming soon' says second quarter 2011 (that has been moving every quarter for the last year or so) and it was last updated on March 15!

Thanks

Darren Middleton

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 5 2011 4:09 PM

Darren Middleton:

I realise this has been done to death, however, experiencing the bad providence of buying 'Sermon Addin File' just prior to L4 release and since then waiting more or less patiently, does anyone know (Logos staff?) when it will actually arrive?  The 'features coming soon' says second quarter 2011 (that has been moving every quarter for the last year or so) and it was last updated on March 15!

Thanks

Darren Middleton

Dear Logos,  

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge fan and cheerleader for Logos.  I've convinced friends, family, pastors, and classes to buy the product.  That being said, I gotta say that communication with your valued customer base leaves something to be desired.  The Sermon File Addin is one of the recurring examples of where a simple and informative update on the General forum would keep the user base informed and pacified as the hard working development team chases changing priorities, bug squashing, code reviews, etc, etc.

Just be more forthcoming and transparent. Really!  We won't shoot the messenger, and everyone feels better about the product in general.

Love, One of the cheerleaders

"I read dead people..."

Posts 9195
LogosEmployee

Bob posted the following in May:

Bob Pritchett:

SermonFile is a harder problem, because we don't like the way we used to do it. People wanted to put too many too different documents into that system, so we're planning a completely different approach that's web oriented. (More http://books.logos.com with document uploading than 3.x SermonFile.) Part of SermonFile functionality will be taken over by a much better PBB tool, part by this new web solution, which is further out than Q2.

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:52 PM

If Logos 4 isn't going to allow us to easily convert a Logos 3 sermon file (not just to view it but to build onto it) I've already asked that Logos consider building in a converter to allow doc files to be uploaded if we're expected to rebuild sermon libraries in PPB.  Another option would be to be able to compile from the individual sermon files to PPB.

As I've said already, I've ditched Logos 4 on my PC and gone back to Logos 3 as it does more of what I need.  I still have Logos 4 on my iPad but the books I own but can't use there is making that less useful (no NIV and no Willie Barclay Daily Study Bible - I've bought both for use in Logos); NIV isn't a major problem as PocketBible gives me that but still an annoyance.

Posts 36
Darren Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 3:32 PM

Thanks Bradley,

I apprecaite you posting this quote, though I was hoping that someone from Logos might be able to indicate some sort of time frame. Reading Bob's quote "...further out than Q2" in Q3 and approaching Q4 does frame the reasonableness of the question though.

Thanks again.

Posts 907
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 3:41 PM

Darren Middleton:

Thanks Bradley,

I apprecaite you posting this quote, though I was hoping that someone from Logos might be able to indicate some sort of time frame. Reading Bob's quote "...further out than Q2" in Q3 and approaching Q4 does frame the reasonableness of the question though.

Thanks again.

I've suggested that Logos start giving users weekly updates for projects under development.... Hmmmm, I wonder if converting the Suggestion to a Uservoice entry might make an impression...

"I read dead people..."

Posts 61
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:26 PM

As one who has hundreds of sermons (11 years worth) entered in the Sermon File addin resource, and who has tagged each one according to Scripture, topic, date, etc.  I would really hope that re-entering all this will not be necessary.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:30 AM

one of the advantages of SFA was ability to designate tags for illustrations and sermons.  Can this be done with PB and how?

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:46 AM

Vladimir Lukyanov:

one of the advantages of SFA was ability to designate tags for illustrations and sermons.  Can this be done with PB and how?

Again, while we really have no idea how the SFL for L4 will work, there are ways to accomplish this somewhat imperfectly using the PB syntax for "headword" under "Syntax, Milestones" (see the wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books)  

For example....

[[@headword:joke]] a duck walks into a bar and says "ouch".

Perhaps not a perfect solution.  As for me, I'm going to wait and see what Logos does with sermon file before I move in this direction or one like it.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 1:57 PM

Leigh Johnson:
the Sermon File addin resource, and who has tagged each one according to Scripture, topic, date, etc.

As Bob says, the software may have been a bit of a "kluge" but as far as each of those index were concerned, it worked!

To be able to search by Topic, date, scripture etc were THE key!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 7 2011 2:57 PM

SteveF:
I agree.  Without those indices SFL will be much less useful to me.  
I am eagerly waiting to see what is coming. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 8:16 AM

Thomas Black:

SteveF:

Yes

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 8:49 AM

Thomas Black:

SteveF:

Here too.

Yes the SFA was a bit of a kludge, but to make the PB (as is) work as the SFA would be just as much/more of a kludge. Without the indices, in L4, I may go back to Libronix, compile there and import them into L4 and keep the old format.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 11:17 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
Without the indices, in L4, I may go back to Libronix, compile there and import them into L4 and keep the old format.

[Without any information coming out to avail my concerns] Richard, I too, have been concerned that this might be the only option.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 218
Scott Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 12:31 PM

I need to first say that I did not have SFA for Libronix but I've been looking forward to it since I purchased L4.  I upgraded from Libronix to L4 because at that time SFA was I believed promised at some point in 2010.  I'm sorry if I am wrong and my memory is failing me.  As a programmer I am curious to see what SFA for L4 will become.  I must admit that I am concerned about what is mentioned on the L4 missing features page.  Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't SFA a promised feature?  How is PBB plus a soon-to-be website a viable replacement?  I struggle to see how an external website is a solution and a feature of L4.  For me, I would really like the SFA to be a feature that is accessed within L4 and one that like many have mentioned has searchable indices.  I do like PBB but not for my messages.  I personally would have preferred SFA before PBB but I am thankful that we do now have PBB for L4.  Also, please forgive me if this sounds like a complaint.  I am still interested in seeing what Logos comes up with and I am praying that it will be a viable solution that will indeed become my sermon library.

Posts 35813
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 8 2011 6:17 PM

Scott Burke:
 I struggle to see how an external website is a solution and a feature of L4.

The sermon function in L3 had two functions - one with all the headings, references, delivery locations etc. that was on your machine and an upload function that put one's sermons on a website. "Sermons" on the web site contained everything from sermons to orders of worship to three word tests (okay I made the word count up).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1
Chris Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 2:23 PM

I'm glad to see that others are as eager as I am for the updated Sermon function.  The good news is that it appears to be here (or at least near).

I've only just noticed that there is a link to http://sermons.logos.com/  at the bottom of my passage guide (although according to the forums it's been there for nearly a year).  I'm guessing that this is the long promised website.  It is still in Beta and I can't find where to put data on when/where you've preached it (I assume that will be part of Logos, not the website), but it looks like you can access all of your past material and upload new sermons and illustrations there.  That may help all of you who are having to input sermons in Libronix.

Thanks Logos, keep up the good work.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 2:30 PM

MJ. Smith:
"Sermons" on the web site contained everything from sermons to orders of worship to three word tests (okay I made the word count up).

A difficulty I found with the L3 Sermon File Addin was that it defaulted to uploading your file to the website. If you omitted to uncheck the box, the file got uploaded to the public website.  I know that I inadvertently uploaded a half-worked set of notes when I was trying out the add-in, then couldn't find a way of removing it from the website. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 35813
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 3:05 PM

GregW:
A difficulty I found with the L3 Sermon File Addin was that it defaulted to uploading your file to the website. If you omitted to uncheck the box, the file got uploaded to the public website.  I know that I inadvertently uploaded a half-worked set of notes when I was trying out the add-in, then couldn't find a way of removing it from the website. 

Boy do I ever recognize that one ... I did finally figure out how to delete them but it certainly wasn't obvious.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 6:25 PM

MJ. Smith:
The sermon function in L3 had two functions - one with all the headings, references, delivery locations etc. that was on your machine

Wonder about Personal Book(s) with sermon headings references, delivery locations, etc ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS