"Rogue" Personal book left in my library but not in the Personal Books tool

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 78
Christopher Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 11 2011 1:34 PM

Hi,

As I have been playing with the Personal Book Builder (which is great so far, btw), I came across a weird problem.  I have been creating some test books trying to understand how to get personal bible commentaries to work correctly. I've gotten this working, and right now I have 3 personal books.  However, when I looked at my full library resource count and saw that it was +5 resources from where it would be without my personal books, rather than +3.

I couldn't understand this, did some searching, and found two instances of a personal book called "Test" that I had created.  I had deleted and recreated this more than once while experimenting, but there never had been any errors.  Earlier today I did completely delete "Test" from Personal Books.  However, these two instances of "Test" are in my library.  The content is still there, and the content in each one is the same.

How do I get rid of them? (I don't want them in the list, of course, nor do I want them using drive space).

Any ideas?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:12 PM

Christopher Davis:

Hi,

As I have been playing with the Personal Book Builder (which is great so far, btw), I came across a weird problem.  I have been creating some test books trying to understand how to get personal bible commentaries to work correctly. I've gotten this working, and right now I have 3 personal books.  However, when I looked at my full library resource count and saw that it was +5 resources from where it would be without my personal books, rather than +3.

I couldn't understand this, did some searching, and found two instances of a personal book called "Test" that I had created.  I had deleted and recreated this more than once while experimenting, but there never had been any errors.  Earlier today I did completely delete "Test" from Personal Books.  However, these two instances of "Test" are in my library.  The content is still there, and the content in each one is the same.

How do I get rid of them? (I don't want them in the list, of course, nor do I want them using drive space).

Any ideas?

You say you deleted them using the Personal Books tool already (Did I understand that right?).

Did you try "hiding" the books Tools > Program Settings > Hidden Resources ?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:38 PM

Just to confirm a few things with you: did you install the Beta at any point or are did you begin using Personal Books in the 4.3 update?

Have you scrolled all the way up and down in the Personal Books panel and ensured that you're not missing the 'Test' books in there?

Is your program indexing?

Did you close the Personal Book panel immediately after deleting the book?

Posts 78
Christopher Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:45 PM

Yes, I did delete them from Personal books tool.  I've checked more than once just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind Wink

Hi, I have tried hiding them and that gets rid of them from my library list.  However, what I am really concerned with is understanding how this might have happened in the first place.  And I would like to permanently delete them rather than just hiding them since this takes up space.

Right now, of course, these test resources are small, but I'm worried that this will happen again with some larger resource and I could end up with a build up (over time) of these "rogue" resources.  Sad

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 2:56 PM

When you 'hide' a resource, the file gets deleted so it isn't taking up space on your drive.

I'm also curious as to how this happened to you as the only other time I've seen 'rogue' books was during the beta cycle.  And then, those books were not actually available (i.e. they showed up in the library but trying to open them gave an error message, 'You own this book, but...')   I'm especially interested in the answer to the last question I asked you in my previous post.

If you're so inclined, you might make sure diagnostic logging is enabled for your program and try to recreate the situation.  As I mentioned, I'm not able to reproduce the issue at this point.

Posts 24757
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:01 AM

Hi Tonya

It looks as though others are seeing this issue as well.

Please see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/36792.aspx for details

Graham

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:08 AM

Tonya J Ross:
When you 'hide' a resource, the file gets deleted so it isn't taking up space on your drive.

With the Logos resources when one "hides" a book it can then be recovered by "unhiding" it.  Is this the case with PBs as well?  In other words, do they get store "in the cloud"?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:11 AM

George Somsel:
With the Logos resources when one "hides" a book it can then be recovered by "unhiding" it.  Is this the case with PBs as well?  In other words, do they get store "in the cloud"?

No. At least not at this time.

PB's will not sync between computers either (yet), though the information about them will. If one has more than one computer, the PB has to be compiled on each system.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:24 AM

I have found that the deleted books stay in your library however, if you click on the book in the library it then goes away. Hope this is helpful.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:36 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
PB's will not sync between computers either (yet), though the information about them will. If one has more than one computer, the PB has to be compiled on each system

So the PBB license is generated using the individual computer's MAC?  Will I have to recompile all of them very time I upgrade my hardware?

Would a USB installation lock the files if used with a different computer

Will these books be accessible on mobile devices?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 24757
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:56 AM

Super Tramp:
So the PBB license is generated using the individual computer's MAC?  Will I have to recompile all of them very time I upgrade my hardware?

I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe this is the case - in that I don't think it is "tied" to your machine in any way. It is rather that the compiled PB isn't synced with the cloud at the moment so can't be synced to your other machines. Hence the need to copy the source .docx and recompile to other target platforms.

Super Tramp:

I would have thought that a USB key containing the .docx files would work well and could be used for different computers. Haven't checked this.

Super Tramp:

At some time in the future but not yet

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 12 2011 2:55 PM

Super Tramp:

The current limitations are all the logical consequence of the "missing" sync process. The need to recompile for the individual hardware will go away when there is a global way of keeping track of their resource identifier. At that point, I would also expect them to be visible on mobile devices.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 8:17 PM

Working these answers backwards:

Graham Criddle:

Super Tramp:

I would have thought that a USB key containing the .docx files would work well and could be used for different computers. Haven't checked this.

I was asking if a USB drive populated with Personal Book files compiled on laptop A could be imported into laptop B OR do the .docx files have to be recompiled on laptop B to be useable on laptop B. I thought what was posted earlier in this thread meant all Personal Books have to be compiled on the hardware it will be used on

Graham Criddle:
I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe this is the case - in that I don't think it is "tied" to your machine in any way. It is rather that the compiled PB isn't synced with the cloud at the moment so can't be synced to your other machines. Hence the need to copy the source .docx and recompile to other target platforms.

If it is only a matter of syncing, the trusty old "sneaker-net should work and the files on the USB drive need not be .docx format

Hmm Methinks me needs a fancy new 64GB USB flash-drive for my Logos installation migration kit  Travel I can then destroy one laptop a month without fretting. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 8:42 PM

Super Tramp:

Hmm Methinks me needs a fancy new 64GB USB flash-drive for my Logos installation migration kit  Travel I can then destroy one laptop a month without fretting. Coffee

Apparently you are more financially endowed than I.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26677
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 8:48 PM

Super Tramp:
I thought what was posted earlier in this thread meant all Personal Books have to be compiled on the hardware it will be used on

Correct - until the resource can be sync'd as per normal books.

Graham Criddle:
Hence the need to copy the source .docx and recompile to other target platforms.

You could put the docx on a USB drive but make sure it is assigned the same drive letter on each machine (right click Computer, select Manage then Disk Management, right click the drive and choose Change Drive Letter). Choose a letter like J, K or higher to avoid clashing with assignments to fixed disks and the DVD drive.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS