Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 19 2009 11:07 PM

Is it possible to filter out an individual topic/thread or an individual author on the forums?  Perhaps just mark the posts as read - so they don't show up in my UNREAD filter.

For example, I get tired of having to visits question dealing with Barclay's commentaries (I already own them) - and if a thread extends over several days, it starts becoming a nuisance.   A check box on the home page that would mark all messages in a chosen thread (or two) to indicate that I no longer want to read those messages would be helpful.  In the newsgroups it was easy enough to set up a filter based on author or subject or both and mark those messages as "READ".  I don't see any comparable way to manage my reading of the threads or articles on the forums.

Thank you for any ideas.

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 19 2009 11:28 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Is it possible to filter out an individual topic/thread or an individual author on the forums?  Perhaps just mark the posts as read - so they don't show up in my UNREAD filter.

We'll have a popularity contest to see who gets filtered the mostSmile

But maybe a right click for individual topics, or Mark All Read when I have read the topics of interest.(for all the Home page filters).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 5:19 AM

I use the sorting and filtering procedure to sort my messages. I have it set that I only see threads that have unread messages in the last 48 hours. It has made the thread list manageable in size. I click on the last post if I am interested in reading that thread. If I am not interested, then I just ignore it and move on. This doesn't elimate posters or threads, but moves threads that haven't changed in the last 48 hours out of the way.

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 6:41 AM

Wayne W Penner:
I use the sorting and filtering procedure to sort my messages. I have it set that I only see threads that have unread messages in the last 48 hours. It has made the thread list manageable in size.

I have done this - but when a thread goes totally off topic, like the current "NASB Interlinear" thread, it still shows up as posts are coming every 4 to 6 hours (or less).  I really do not want to follow this thread.  In the newsgroups I would filter it as "read" or "junk" - but there is not such option in the forums.  My list is managable - I just see no need to manage a thread that is of no interest to me.

The suggestion to mark "all read" would help.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 8:28 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Years ago I designed a phpBB forum that had all the features you are looking for.  So I know it is possible, but not in the current state of this forum.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 8:42 AM

I agree, Floyd.

I'd like to be able to "start" with getting all posts sent to me (as it is now), then be able to disconnect that service for:

1. a particular "folder"  &/or

2. a particular "thread" &/or

3. a particular "author" (ie the immediate author of the reply)

Any of these without the others would be helpful, particularly #2, but all would be preferable.

Better yet, if we could just get a few more "dedicated" folders out there, then maybe only #1 would be necessary - as long as people "followed the rules".  Additional dedicated folders might be:

1. General discussion about theological topics

2. General discussion about hardware topics

3. General discussion about the use of Libronix

4. General discussions about other things (music, etc).

5. Suggestions for additional resources to be added

6. Suggestions for changes to the existing PC-based Libronix engine

7. Suggestions for implementation of Libronix on other platforms

8. Requests for assistance with using Libronix engine

9. Requests for assistance with 3rd-party products

Maybe I missed something ... but an organized folder layout like this would be excellent, esp if people would honor it.  If a thread in one folder starts to morph, then a simple request by any user would hopefully be effectual in moving the discussion to a more appropriate folder.

This is how I've seen it work successfully on other forums ... and it would take VERY little work for Logos to implement it.  Hopefullly they'd actually post some "rules" to go along with it, too.

Jim

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 9:05 AM

JimDean:
Maybe I missed something ... but an organized folder layout like this would be excellent, esp if people would honor it.  If a thread in one folder starts to morph, then a simple request by any user would hopefully be effectual in moving the discussion to a more appropriate folder.

This too would help - but if I remember right, when Bob first started the forums, one of the goals was to reduce the number of forums that were being followed.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 9:16 AM

Floyd Johnson:
if I remember right, when Bob first started the forums, one of the goals was to reduce the number of forums that were being followed.

I wasn't around then, so I did not know.

Maybe I used the wrong terminology.

I was not suggesting additional FORUMS, but rather a few extra "folders" (containers that hold threads) within the single Forum.

That way, posts can be placed in appropriate buckets, with zero extra trouble for Logos to manage.

I *think* it's pretty simple, and clean ... but I'm no expert!

=============
Jim Dean

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2009 9:18 AM

Current "folders" (my terminology) are:

General, Mac, Suggestions, Beta, Espanol, Files

It appears that 95% of the postings are going into General and Suggestions.

Finer resolution on those would be helpful, I think.

=============
Jim Dean

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS