Just how FAST is Logos 4?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 73
Martin J Webster | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:39 PM | Locked

I ran a test on Logos 3:

I searched for "David" in all unlocked Bibles and the return was 37,629 in 70 seconds.

In Logos 4:

I searched for "David" in All Bibles and the return was 37,275 in 70 seconds. But in the line above the search results it reported "0.54 Secs"

If Logos 4 is what it is said to be there is something wrong somewhere!

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:05 PM | Locked

Bible searching is searching a subset of your library.  It's not as fast as searching the entire library.  We raised a bit of noise in the beta about this, I think there's more being done on just searching bibles.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 73
Martin J Webster | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:46 PM | Locked

I ran another test, here are the results:

Logos 3 search for "Lamb of God" 3730 hits in 610 Seconds

Logos 4 search for "lamb of God" 3662 hits in 10.25 Seconds

This is very impressive.

However I wonder why there should be a difference in the number of hits?

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:10 PM | Locked

Are there titles we might have in version 3 (various vendors, incl Nelson, Eerdmans, AMG, Baker, IVP, BAS etc) for which there are not yet version 4 files available to download ?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:12 PM | Locked

I don't think so. I think since L4 can read L3 files they use the old ones until they can update them to the new format. Not 100% on this one, though, but I'm pretty close.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:18 PM | Locked

David J. Wilson:
 Are there titles we might have in version 3 (various vendors, incl Nelson, Eerdmans, AMG, Baker, IVP, BAS etc) for which there are not yet version 4 files available to download ? 

Yes,

Oxford Bible Commentary - probably never to be rebuilt.

Any Westminster title - eg. Interpretation Commentary Series.

Anchor Bible Commentary Series, Ancient Christian Commentary Series, and the list goes on

I have 2099 resources in 3.0 format and one in 2.0 format

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:25 PM | Locked

Does the L4 "cloud" currently have the version 3 files and would it then download these if version 4 files are not yet available or do we need to get them from our version 3 resources folder ?  If we need to get them from version 3 ourselves, how do we do that ?  EG: copy them to where ? 

Posts 1660
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:29 PM | Locked

I believe that Brad G on another post said that all but 2 resources are available for DL from the cloud.

On the other hand, there are more than 2 old Logos 2.0 help manuals that Logos 4 has not DLed to me, not that I want them in Logos 4, but they are in my license.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:30 PM | Locked

David J. Wilson:

Does the L4 "cloud" currently have the version 3 files and would it then download these if version 4 files are not yet available or do we need to get them from our version 3 resources folder ?  If we need to get them from version 3 ourselves, how do we do that ?  EG: copy them to where ? 

David,

It will draw over from your 3.0 resource folders those files which have not been updated (in either 3.0 or 4.0 format)

The rest, it will download.

You just need to sit back and relax (or spend hours worrying about why it doesn't seem to be doing anything)

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:37 PM | Locked

Oh, it is very busy doing something - Downloading resources - now at 96% and steadily progressing - up from 51% this time yesterday !!

(so not had any time to actually kick the tires yet !!).   Wondering if I need to take a week off while it indexes everything after it is finished downloading ?

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:40 PM | Locked

David J. Wilson:
Wondering if I need to take a week off while it indexes everything after it is finished downloading ?

Nah, you can still go to work.....

How many resources do you have?

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:13 PM | Locked

Looks like about 3100 in my version 3 resources folder, not counting help files and PBBs  (incl. magazines but not movies)

But then I upgraded......

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:15 PM | Locked

Yeah,

It'll take a while (depending on computer specs of course)

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:11 PM | Locked

Finished the initial resource downloads and now on to "Preparing your library......", started at 1am my time : will let you know when it finishes....

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:01 AM | Locked

It was already finished by the time I got up this morning - so less than 7 hours to index and prepare the files after close to 40 hours download time...

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:07 AM | Locked

Fanatstic.

Wish mine took only 7 hours.

I'm trying the whole multiple computer install thing to get my index from the netbook the the notebook. Even that seems to be taking a while. I think I messed it up....

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:09 AM | Locked

David J. Wilson:
so less than 7 hours to index

Not to bad

David J. Wilson:
40 hours download time...

That's a long time. Hopefully you will never need an emergency re-install. A Backup to disc option would be welcomed. Fortunately for me I have a big Pipe through Fios (20 Meg/Sec) but for many its not available or they simply have a slower plan.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:13 AM | Locked

And just a reminder...a cheap way to deal with this is to image your disk

After I get Logos running perfect and all my other apps installed...I make an image of my C drive...

Then I can "reinstall" just as if it never happened, anytime...and in less than 10 minutes...a fresh clean computer!!

I use Acronis True image home edition.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:13 AM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:
That's a long time. Hopefully you will never need an emergency re-install. A Backup to disc option would be welcomed.

Yes, it would.

And it's a good suggestion to backup the resource directory for those who know how to locate and copy it to an exteernal hard drive.

Posts 8444
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:11 AM | Locked

Kenneth McGuire:

I believe that Brad G on another post said that all but 2 resources are available for DL from the cloud.

On the other hand, there are more than 2 old Logos 2.0 help manuals that Logos 4 has not DLed to me, not that I want them in Logos 4, but they are in my license.

We're trying to ensure that every resource we are legally allowed to distribute is available for automatic download, but it's possible that we have missed some old third-party files; our goal is to eventually collect and upload them all to our server. The 2 resources you mentioned are files that (without a contract change) we can't ever put on the server. (Sorry, I still don't remember which ones they are; I should try to look that up at work.)

Although (to contradict my previous statement), there are some (like LLS 2.x help files, catalogue files, LDLS3 overview books, etc.) that we're choosing not to make available, because they don't make much sense inside Logos 4. If you really want to have them, you could scan an old LLS or LDLS CD to import them.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS