A comment and a Question

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:06 PM

Comment:  I see a lot of frustration with Logos 4.  I can understand it as I am just now able to load it onto my computer after 3 days of waiting (computer blue-screened first time, then I got an indexer error). I was quite frustrated for a while.  However, This IS a brand new search engine.  Over the next few weeks and months, I imagine Logos will work everything out to be as smooth or smoother than 3.  It just takes time... like getting used to how a new car shifts and where all the stuff is.  It took them a while to get back to me too.  But when they did, it was fixed.  Have hope!  Keep your head up!  This too shall pass Big Smile

 

Question.  I am now indexing.  I see four of my 8 cores spiking...  is this search engine TRULY made for multi-core?  Is there any way to take advantage of the I7 4 core hyperthreading (virtual 8 core) chip?  I LOVE the fact that all four cores are used, but if I can get the other four to kick in, WOW the time factor would be cut down virtually in half!

 

 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 7:52 PM

ChristianWIlder:

Question.  I am now indexing.  I see four of my 8 cores spiking...  is this search engine TRULY made for multi-core?  Is there any way to take advantage of the I7 4 core hyperthreading (virtual 8 core) chip?  I LOVE the fact that all four cores are used, but if I can get the other four to kick in, WOW the time factor would be cut down virtually in half!

I was wondering the same thing. Will I7 be fully utilized by Logos?

I don't have one yet but wondered........

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:40 AM

A comment during beta test

Bradley Grainger:
About 80% of the time of indexing is spent in work that can be easily parallelised; the other 20% (approximately) is basically single-threaded. So, upgrading from a single-core to a dual-core machine gives you about 1.6x speed-up, and going to quad-core gives a 2.5x speed-up over single core and 1.5x speed-up over dual-core.

Changing CPU architecture (e.g., Pentium 4 to Core 2 to Core i7) or clock speed will also give a (sometimes dramatic) speed increase. (A Core i7 at 2.4GHz is probably an order of magnitude faster than a P4 at the same clock speed.)

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2895
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:41 AM

Those who blaze the trail get cut by the thorns.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:42 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Those who blaze the trail get cut by the thorns.

I really like that. Thanks.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:26 AM

Thanks for finding that quote Dave, that's the first one I was thinking of.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS