One-way / Asymmetrical Link Sets

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 17 2011 8:29 AM

It would be nice to be able to have one-way / asymmetrical link sets. What I mean by this is that there would be a set of master panels that have regular links that are symmetrical with one another - if you change the content of any one of the them, the others sync to the new location. That's the current behavior. I would propose the addition of a passive link set that follows the master links, but does not move the master panels if the passive panel(s) is moved. 

For example, I have my commentary panel set to be a master link (A) as well as my ESV panel. I set my textual apparatus to be a passive link that's following the master panels (A) links. If I move the ESV or the commentary, everything stays in sync (including the apparatus). However, if I move the apparatus, the master panels do not sync to the new apparatus location.

I find that as I'm working through a passage, I might jump around in other panels, without desiring that I move forward in my commentary and scriptural panels that I'm working through. It's frustrating when I move my apparatus forward to check on something because it might not have a verse that corresponds to where I was in my commentary so I have to then go back to the commentary panel and relocate myself to my original position. My work around is that I don't link my apparatus panel and manually sync it up as needed... this works, but the asymmetrical linking would be spiffy.  

Sorry if I haven't articulated this well.

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 8:41 AM

An alternative idea is to introduce the concept of pausing a panel's link. So for example, I have a commentary synced to my scriptural passage in another panel. I have a thought while reading through the commentary panel and decide to look back in my scripture panel to confirm some thought I have. I don't want the commentary panel to follow me back; I want to keep my place. So, I pause the ESV panel, scroll back to earlier in the passage, then un-pause the scripture panel, which causes it to snap back to it's original location.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 8:59 AM

J.P.:

An alternative idea is to introduce the concept of pausing a panel's link. So for example, I have a commentary synced to my scriptural passage in another panel. I have a thought while reading through the commentary panel and decide to look back in my scripture panel to confirm some thought I have. I don't want the commentary panel to follow me back; I want to keep my place. So, I pause the ESV panel, scroll back to earlier in the passage, then un-pause the scripture panel, which causes it to snap back to it's original location.

An interesting suggestion.

I never link commentaries, just because of the problem of how reading a commentary can move the Bible around, and vice versa.

However, there's another way of dealing with this particular issue. I have a second, non-synced Bible open and designate that Bible as the  hyperlink "target" (Send hyperlinks here in the panel menu). I've found this works very well, and even better than what you're suggesting (IMHO). I can scroll the second Bible to the location I want without disturbing the location of other synced material, and, when I'm reading my commentary and want to look up the context of a verse quoted in the commentary, I just click on it and it opens in that second Bible (once again, my sync's aren't disturbed).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:05 AM

Thanks Richard. I can see how that will help in many circumstances. Help me understand how that would help in the following scenarios:

1) I desire to backtrack in the immediate context I'm working in from time to time. The second ESV panel is not linked, so I have to update it's location manually, then backtrack. That's fine - it works... but seems less automated than my typical Logos experience... perhaps Logos is making me lazy... LOL... evidence: I bought a roomba vacuum robot about six months after upgrading to Logos 4... coincidence? Stick out tongue

2) What if I want two panels that are asymmetrically linked? For example, I have an ESV panel that has my current passage linked to my commentary so that as I read my commentary, I can glance over to the current verse in my ESV panel - but then from time to time, I want to scroll back to remind myself of the prior context... but I want to do this without losing my current place in my commentary... so I have a second ESV panel that I use for this purpose (as you've proposed)... then I decide I want to scroll back in my apparatus to check on a varient reading that suddenly sticks out based on something I just read, but run into the same problem... but I also want the apparatus to stay linked with my current verse so that I can glance down and see if there is anything interesting going on in the manuscripts as I'm reading through the commentary... so perhaps I could have a linked apparatus pannel and an unlinked one... but now my windows are multiplying each time I want to interact this way with another resource.

Part of my problem, I guess, is that I have many concurrent resource spread out over my two screens (passage guide, commentaries, ESV, NA27, commentaries, apparatus, Summarized Bible, Harmony (if I'm working in the Gospels), etc. My proposed solution is an attempt to find a way to interact with a complex set of interacting resources without introducing duplicate windows in an already complicated layout.

Your solution, however, does help me with certain aspects of what I'm looking for. Thanks!

- jp

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:03 AM

J.P. Poveda:
Thanks Richard. I can see how that will help in many circumstances. Help me understand how that would help in the following scenarios: . . .

1) Yes, this may require manually entering the passage. Or, you could link it, let it sync, then immediately unlink. (That's what I do for commentaries.) You're on your own about how L4 relates to your robotic vacuum. Wink

2) My solution has nothing to do with your suggestion for asymmetrical linking. The suggestion has been made before, though with different terminology. There is one similar request on User Voice (I may have missed other similar suggestions), but it only has two votes. You may want to make that suggestion there, and drum up support for that option here on the forums.

Here's the URL for Logos' UserVoice: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:16 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

J.P. Poveda:
Thanks Richard. I can see how that will help in many circumstances. Help me understand how that would help in the following scenarios: . . .

...The suggestion has been made before, though with different terminology. There is one similar request on User Voice (I may have missed other similar suggestions), but it only has two votes. You may want to make that suggestion there, and drum up support for that option here on the forums.

Thanks Richard. I've spent one of my votes on the similar idea at User Voice: Pinned Resource. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, it only has two votes... ranking it 216th... if anyone else wants a feature like this, click on the link for "Pinned Resource" and cast your vote.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:17 AM

JP,

i have created a small app which communicates to Logos4 via API calls which performs somewhat similar actions in that it allows you to direct an unlinked window to the location of a linked window. This may or may not be useful to you. You can check it out here QuickLinks.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:22 AM

steve clark:

i have created a small app which communicates to Logos4 via API calls which performs somewhat similar actions in that it allows you to direct an unlinked window to the location of a linked window. This may or may not be useful to you. You can check it out here QuickLinks.

Interesting... I wasn't aware that the Logos app has an API. Could you point me towards the documentation (I come from a software engineering background -- so I'm kinda curious now!).

Thanks,

- jp

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:23 AM

J.P. Poveda:
I wasn't aware that the Logos app has an API. Could you point me towards the documentation (I come from a software engineering background -- so I'm kinda curious now!).

Logos 4 COM API

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:36 AM

steve clark:

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately, as a Mac user, it doesn't look like I can use your solution. I'll try to have a look at it on my Windows system tonight, however. Thanks for the help!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 17 2011 2:36 PM

Text Comparison has Link Set option: Follow (wish could use for resources, too).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS