The Desiderius Erasmus Collection... OH MY GOODNESS!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 905
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2011 4:30 PM

Friends, please don't miss out on a collection that will not only give you a great deal of enlightenment from a historical perspective, but insight into the incredible tensions that gave birth to the reformation... including surprising similarities between Erasmus and Luther.  The value is astonishing, and I'm hopeful that we can get the CP price down to $20 by this Friday.

If you have any lingering doubts about whether to drop a $20 on it or not, have a comfortable read of MJ's post here, and ST's more condensed synopsis below:

Super Tramp:

The Desiderius Erasmus Collection (19 vols.) ,

is very important to the understanding of the Reformation.  Erasmus had a keen mind and was a great scholar. To read both Luther and Erasmus is to get a balancedpicture of the dialogue that encompassed the Reformation.  Surely Luther had the background to understand the issues he grappled with. But today's believers have probably never encountered most of those issues.

For the price of one or two books we can lock in the whole set in Community Pricing.  Please give it your consideration.Geeked

addendum: Erasmus is probably the best known of the Christian Humanists. That term is not to be confused with Secular Humanists and we would do well not to confuse it with Liberation Theology.  Help this collection into publication and learn the differences among these three ideologies. Devil

"I read dead people..."

Posts 30049
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 4:50 PM

Yes

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 101
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:28 PM

Brother Mark:

Friends, please don't miss out on a collection that will not only give you a great deal of enlightenment from a historical perspective, but insight into the incredible tensions that gave birth to the reformation... including surprising similarities between Erasmus and Luther.  The value is astonishing, and I'm hopeful that we can get the CP price down to $20 by this Friday.

If you have any lingering doubts about whether to drop a $20 on it or not, have a comfortable read of MJ's post here, and ST's more condensed synopsis below:

Super Tramp:

The Desiderius Erasmus Collection (19 vols.) ,

is very important to the understanding of the Reformation.  Erasmus had a keen mind and was a great scholar. To read both Luther and Erasmus is to get a balancedpicture of the dialogue that encompassed the Reformation.  Surely Luther had the background to understand the issues he grappled with. But today's believers have probably never encountered most of those issues.

For the price of one or two books we can lock in the whole set in Community Pricing.  Please give it your consideration.Geeked

addendum: Erasmus is probably the best known of the Christian Humanists. That term is not to be confused with Secular Humanists and we would do well not to confuse it with Liberation Theology.  Help this collection into publication and learn the differences among these three ideologies. Devil

You convinced me. I put in my bid at $25. Hope it drops to $20.

Greg

Posts 30049
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:56 PM

Did we mention that it is 17 volumes? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 7:01 PM

Looking at several sample pages noted witty sayings that are still worth pondering (and perhaps a chuckle or laugh, wondered if humanist description should have been accompanied by humorist).  Likewise noticed English word usage had been updated since original publication. Bid placed; looking forward to reading more.  Also enjoyed reading MJ's post with fascinating historical insight.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:17 PM

I bid $30, I think, so delighted it's down to $25!

Am not so happy about Jn McNeill's sermons reaching 100% before tomorrow, as I doubt whether they'll now go down to a price I'm prepared to pay for a single volume.  Ditto princeton Pulpit.  Can  anyone convert me to raising my bid?  

Am waiting to see if price of Dionysius will drop to $11, or whether I'll need to raise my bid, which I happily will.  This is a form of gambling.  It turned against me when I rushed off to hospital before raising my bid for Puritan sermons.  Actually, aged 68, I have more than enough reading matter for the rest of my life!

Posts 905
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 20 2011 6:06 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
wondered if humanist description should have been accompanied by humorist

Yes

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS