What if I am nor ready to move to L4 yet?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
Slabs | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:54 AM

I am a user of Logos software since 1997 (I think, can't remember that far back Embarrassed ) Anyway, I started with Logos 1.6. which still ran on Windows 3.1. I still remembered the feeling of seeing my Greek and Hebrew text on my computer screen and doing a search in my Biblical text.

Anyway, I have been following the posts on L4 and having some struggles of my own getting my copy to work to my satisfaction etc. Although I am quite intrigued by L4, I am still hopelessly committed to L3.L4 has a lot of potential and abilities that must be commended.

However, it appears as if L4 still has some way to go before being completed. I was just wondering if Logos is going to stop creating books in L3 format now that L4 is on the table. I am not yet ready to make the move to L4 permanently. Perhaps in a year or so. However, there is a lot of upcoming resources that I am extremely interested in... just hoping that L3 resources will not drop of the production mill very soon.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:57 AM

John Phillips:
However, it appears as if L4 still has some way to go before being completed. I was just wondering if Logos is going to stop creating books in L3 format now that L4 is on the table. I am not yet ready to make the move to L4 permanently. Perhaps in a year or so. However, there is a lot of upcoming resources that I am extremely interested in... just hoping that L3 resources will not drop of the production mill very soon.

My understanding is that Logos is going to make most new resources available for L3. There may be some though that are too dependent upon the features of L4 to be able to replicate them in L3 format.

Posts 16
Slabs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:07 AM

Philip Spitzer:
My understanding is that Logos is going to make most new resources available for L3. There may be some though that are too dependent upon the features of L4 to be able to replicate them in L3 format.

Great news. I think that L4 has great potential, but at this moment L3 is still tops. Actually, I am currently using my L3 very extensively... I do not really have the time to wrestle with L4 at this moment Cool  So please, I am not trying to compare L3 against L4 to determine which one is best. I am simply stating that, given my workload, I find it best to keep to the one I know by heart.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:10 AM

John Phillips:
Great news. I think that L4 has great potential, but at this moment L3 is still tops. Actually, I am currently using my L3 very extensively... I do not really have the time to wrestle with L4 at this moment Cool  So please, I am not trying to compare L3 against L4 to determine which one is best. I am simply stating that, given my workload, I find it best to keep to the one I know by heart.

Understood and understandable :-)

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:15 AM

John,

I am in-between classes and so it is a great opportunity to spend time getting through the learning curve.  I also have used Logos for longer than I can remember and the learning curve is turning out to be quite a bit.  I am definitely still referring back to my L3 occasionally to compare results.  I am in process of adjusting but L4 is not a load/go and you are up to speed type of program.  Probably the most frustration comes from our forgetfulness of the time we put into L3 and previous and expect to be instantly proficient in L4.  Probably a wise move to wait if you don't have the time to put into learning on L4 what you can already do on L3.  Hope this helps.

don

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:46 AM

John Phillips:
given my workload, I find it best to keep to the one I know by heart.

Hi John,

You're not alone... Though I was a beta tester & have been learning the software for a couple of months, I still have the weekly sermon & bible studies to prepare... and I'm still finding that once I finish the basic research, when I move past research into the mode where I'm working primarily in Word (in the sermon), I'm still more productive in L3 because of its tighter integration with Word (Smart Tags, CBV in system tray, etc.). So I give myself permission to revert. Smile  I still stand by my beta post that the real challenge for Logos is going to be getting us to the point WE'RE willing to turn out the lights on L3.

I'd encourage you to keep playing with L4 while doing your basic research. Before long, I suspect you'll find (as did most beta testers) that L4 will make you more productive in that arena, even in its current state. There's a lot of promise... and the payoff is worth the additional effort.

Blessings to you!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:58 AM

Bill Stonebraker:

I still stand by my beta post that the real challenge for Logos is going to be getting us to the point WE'RE willing to turn out the lights on L3.!

Bill, I can hardly believe I am saying this (if you remember my rant(s) in beta testing) but I LOVE L4 and to turn on L3 and look at the screen makes me want the new one.  As far as function, I don't have any crunch times right now, i.e. having a deadline to prepare a teaching, so I am viewing all the tutorials and creating a file of L4 which I've added to My Favorite of different posts re: how to do specific things in L4 like create collections.  (That one is not easy for me.) Thanks for having such a positive and gracious attitude!  I'm not turning all the lights out; PBB's are too valuable.

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:07 AM

Joan Korte:
PBB's are too valuable.

Hi Joan,

I do remember your frustrations early on in beta... you don't remember mine, because in the middle of beta, I moved 350 miles to a new state, new city, new house, & new parish... was off line & without internet for awhile, which effectively pulled me out of beta... but I WAS frustrated... and unproductive until I started to get it. Now, like you, I prefer L4... but there are just too many things I need that it doesn't do yet. CBV help (multiple verses separated by commas, ala L3, just made my list; smart tags were already on it; & somewhat further behind them, sys tray) & PBBs top my list.

Another area that's painful is mousing around on my synaptics touchpad. Lots of issues there, too. (Scrolling often just doesn't work. Sometimes, up & down arrow & pageup/pagedown keys don't work either. Reduced to mousing on toolbars. With RSI in both wrists, it doesn't take long to pop L3 open.) 

And PBBs...

I prefer to focus on what IS there in L4. Because I'm drawn to it--like you. It'll be better! Bob & crew have proved themselves to us many times over. We're in good hands. Big Smile

And lastly, in the end, we're all (or should be) brothers & sisters... so in the end, how do we want to treat our extended family members?

Many blessings to you!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS