Start of an index on Early Church Fathers

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 31812
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:38 PM

http://topics.logos.com/Early_Church_Fathers_Index

Yes, I will include Schaff but that wasn't where I needed to start - if you want the original languages done, someone else will need to volunteer.  I did put mine under "translations". Don't know if anyone else will find it useful, but I happened to need it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:05 AM

Thank you! That looks really useful.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 3:55 AM

Here is a PB with image file, and table of contents so we can use this inside Logos 4! Thanks MJ. I'll watch this thread in case there are updates to the wiki page and you post that here, I'll update the document if that serves a purpose for everyone.

A new era in my Logos library!  ---->

7180.ECF Index.zip

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 4:25 AM

Thanks a lot, M.J. and Dominick!!

Yes

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:39 AM

Love it! Awesome Job with this. It is so much more helpful with people sorted alphabetically and links to multiple Logos resources.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:44 AM

NewbieMick:

Thanks a lot, M.J. and Dominic!!

Yes

Yes!  I concur heartily!               Thanks!  And my life is now even still richer because of your contributions!

Peace to all!                           and....................                    Joy

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:56 AM

Great job! I'll see if I can find some time to help you with it, but not right now, I'm afraid. 

What's the Christian Apologetics resource that I don't seem to have and can't find on Logos webpage?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:42 AM

fgh:
What's the Christian Apologetics resource that I don't seem to have and can't find on Logos webpage?

seems to be a Personal Book...

Posts 31812
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:12 PM

fgh:

It's in Vyrso: http://vyrso.com/product/14380/christian-apologetics  as is Beginnings http://vyrso.com/product/13240/beginnings-ancient-christian-readings-of-the-biblical-creation-narratives

It's interesting that Logos doesn't offer them to you from the link.

I hadn't thought of converting the list to a PB as the list itself can be brought up in Logos - but I like the PB better in some respects because it keeps the spacing better making it more readable.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 1:25 PM

Thanks very much, MJ!             *smile*

Just bought the first and will very likely buy the second this evening when I return from some errands!

You and your contributions are much appreciated; and I'm sure Logos appreciates you for all the resources that they sell to folks like us who have a little knowledge and encouragement from you!

Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 1:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

fgh:

It's in Vyrso: http://vyrso.com/product/14380/christian-apologetics 

Ah, now I see (and buy...). Didn't occur to me to look there. If you don't own it, the link behaves like a PB from another user - I will support your suggestion they invoke Vyrso instead.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 1:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
It's interesting that Logos doesn't offer them to you from the link.

Not only do they not offer them, they do not even tell me the titles. It seems from the forums that when others (Windows-users?) click on a logosref link to something they don't have, they at least are told what resource the link was supposed to go to. When I click on a link like that, all I'm told is Resource unavailable, Title:. This time the title was in the Reading List, so at least I got that, but I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on some link in a forum post without getting even a clue about what it was supposed to go to. 

I knew about Beginnings, since you had already posted about that, but I hadn't found the other one. Looks like a must have. Weird, though, that they don't tell us it's volume one of two (I had a look at Amazon).

How on earth do you manage to locate such interesting books among all those thousands of [for me] rather uninteresting titles? Do you have any tip? I went through several categories and found nothing. And as far as I could see there isn't even a sub-category for Catholic, even though a simple search for Catholic brings up several. If not even books with Catholic in the title are tagged as Catholic, how on earth are we supposed to locate any others?

I've been thinking of starting a thread on your forum where we could alert each other when a new interesting publisher has been added, or give tips about interesting books that are hidden deep down somewhere, but I haven't had the time yet.

CORRECTION: There actually is a sub-category for Catholic now (sure couldn't see one yesterday), but there's only one book in it, so that's not much help.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 2:10 PM

fgh:
I knew about Beginnings, since you had already posted about that, but I hadn't found the other one. Looks like a must have. Weird, though, that they don't tell us it's volume one of two (I had a look at Amazon).

retracted

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 2:22 PM

NewbieMick:
the Vyrso-resource is both volumes in one.

Are you sure? The description says "from the first century a.d. through the Middle Ages", which would make it only vol 1. The listed authors are all vol 1 as well.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 2:44 PM

fgh:

NewbieMick:
the Vyrso-resource is both volumes in one.

Are you sure? The description says "from the first century a.d. through the Middle Ages", which would make it only vol 1. The listed authors are all vol 1 as well.

You are right, sorry. Volume One is internally segmented into two parts (ECF versus Middle Ages or 0-500 vs. 500-1500), that led me astray - the first Author mentioned in the ECF-Index is Abelard from the second part of the book - but still Volume One (Vol 2, 1500- seems to be brand new).

Still Vol 1 seems to be a worthwile book and with 8,99 USD less than half of Amazon's Kindle price.

Posts 31812
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:42 PM

I have begun adding in the Schaff series - I suspect given my other responsibilities this will take about a week.

Another related Vyrso book is Reading the Old Testament with the Ancient Church: Exploring the Formation of Early Christian Thought. (Heine). I'm a little concerned about these being in Vyrso - that may imply they'll never properly linked to the Church Fathers.

and no fgh I have no secret formula ... I simply ran into them while doing searches on authors.

Posts 31812
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 8:07 PM

Bumping - the list now lists all the English resources that are being included in the index. Look at it and see if there are additional items I should consider. Thanks.

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:40 PM

You have done me a wonderful service. Thanks a million! God bless you!Smile

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 28 2011 5:05 PM

Updated document in PB format with JPG for you personal book builders...

3005.7180.ECF%20Index.zip

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:00 AM

MJ. Smith:

Bumping - the list now lists all the English resources that are being included in the index. Look at it and see if there are additional items I should consider. Thanks.

This is awesome, Martha! Since you're apparently done now, are the notes to yourself near the top saying stuff like "not started" or "entered through volume V of X" no longer relevant?

The link to Theophilus of Alexandria's "Synodical letter to the bishops of Palestine and Cyprus" is broken, points to a non-existent wiki page by that name.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS