facing a bloat problem

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:35 AM

I am very thankful to Logos for all of the electronic titles that I am fortunate to have, index, search and read. However, especially with Perseus collection being shipped right now and thousands of books coming via Vyrso channel, we (logos customers) are facing a huge UI deficiency in Library view. A cold and sterile "excel" like table just won't cut it with thousands of titles. A "picture" view of book covers is only a little better.

What I would like to see:

• a page that looks like a bookshelf. Only if I want to, I would switch it to the spreadsheet view.
  • a few of dynamically generated categories/collections such a "last downloaded" or "last read" that would be just 1 click away, and not several as it currently stands.  This would alleviate issues of users who download a couple of Vyrso books, which get drowned in Logos library.
  • "Hiding" books must be moved to the Library view and away from "Program Settings." Users must be allowed to select multiple resources at the same time and hide them (I am not a programmer, but I think it is done by a single binary switch "display/hide" and as such would be very easy to implement).  I ordered Perseus collection as well as hundreds of other books that came in bundles, which I have no immediate use for. Can you imagine how long it would take to hide Perseus one title at a time? Can you imagine the processor resources expended to index all of the unnecessary books over a lifetime (and on multiple computers)? Why hasn't this issue given more design thought? Why this was put on the back burner is beyond me.
  • Logos could even create "people who bought what you have also purchased ..." or "you bought qqq, you may also be interested in QQQ" categories.

what do you think?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:47 AM

Vladimir Lukyanov:
what do you think?

Before Perseus I had about 2400 books. That's not really manageable either, unless you begin using the power of "My Tags." My Tags help organize and view relevant books easily.

Look at this wiki article for help on tagging: http://wiki.logos.com/Tagging

Really, it's worth it, and with a little effort it does make even the largest library quite manageable.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting anything about your other suggestions. I do like the idea of putting an option in Library view to hide books (although the effort to do this through settings, does make it harder to do this accidentally).

BTW, there is a "Last Updated" category (not quite "Last Downloaded" which would be different).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 9:15 AM

Richard, thank you for your reply.

I am well aware of mytags.  I have Portfolio and many other collections that I purchased on top of that. There is no way a library of this size (I am not bragging, I know for a fact that there are others who have Logos libraries much bigger than mine) can be managed without mytags and custom collections.

However, mytags can be linked to an accelerator pedal and "hiding" unnecessary resources as the brake pedal.  No amount of acceleration can substitute braking ability and visa versa. We NEED (not just want) both and have them well designed.

Richard, you suggested going to the Library, scroll to the "Last Updated" column, sort it, and then click on a resource.  How many clicks is that? It could very easily be made into 1 click.  Companies like Apple position themselves with best in class products because they put cool user-friendly design as one of the first priorities and not as afterthought.

By the way, "hidden" books should be removed from user's computer and index, but info about the book should be present in the Library view (maybe greyed out), so the user could get them back at any time.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 9:28 AM

Your suggestions sound better and better as you continue to describe what you're after. (Though I don't particularly like Apple's 'user friendly' design.)

Why not put this in the suggestions forum?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:08 AM

Agree that 'Hidden Resources' in the Settings doesn't make a lot of sense; belongs somewhere in the Library window.

Also, one by one putting resources in  'Hidden'???  That's going to be a pain with Perseus.

Anything that would make the library more intuitive and easier to manage would be good.  I never dreamed my library would get much beyond the OL package.

Early on Mark built his visual-library view; I copied mine into an RTF, and it's a whole lot easier to keep track of what I have (especially to remember!).

I'd guess the present approach originated as you say from a spreadsheet concept.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:55 PM

I've really had this problem when using the Android app--on-line library navigation is like moving the ocean with a spoon.

On the desktop, I've got much more screen real estate, but the available views haven't kept up with long-term logos users' library growth.  Concur w/OP.  

I use Logos nearly daily, but spend nearly no time on behind-the-scenes mgt tasks--which in part is why I like L4 much more than L3.  I've done some tagging, but mostly just to define what I want to read & what I have read.

Posts 27467
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 6:07 PM

Vladimir Lukyanov:
"Hiding" books must be moved to the Library view and away from "Program Settings." Users must be allowed to select multiple resources at the same time and hide them

This was reluctantly provided during initial beta testing in 2009 and the request to hide multiple books at a time came almost immediately! It's time to allow hiding via multiple selection in Library +  a view to show hidden resources and allow unhiding.

Vladimir Lukyanov:
a few of dynamically generated categories/collections such a "last downloaded" or "last read" that would be just 1 click away, and not several as it currently stands.  This would alleviate issues of users who download a couple of Vyrso books, which get drowned in Logos library.

Much of the functionality was driven by Logos' "analysis" that too many options/menus increases complexity for users and Logos Support! But it is time to re-assess this in light of the vast increase of resources available and the different markets that Vyrso and Personal Books (PB) represent  e.g. menu options to show only Logos, Vyrso or PB's. Also allow Collections to be viewed similarly to Series. Apart from that manipulating the columns or typing tag values is OK.

"last read" is a click away if you keep History open!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27467
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 6:35 PM

Vladimir Lukyanov:
By the way, "hidden" books should be removed from user's computer and index, but info about the book should be present in the Library view (maybe greyed out), so the user could get them back at any time.

Hidden books are removed from the Resources folder when you restart L4, but removing them from the Index requires a costly re-index (several hours). The current system allows you to unhide "at any time" without indexing, so it is better to manually re-index when you have completely finished hiding.

BTW re-indexing does not provide a significant performance improvement, but it might save a few hundred MB of hard drive space.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 6:56 PM

Dave Hooton:
it is time to re-assess this in light of the vast increase of resources available and the different markets that Vyrso and Personal Books (PB) represent  e.g. menu options to show only Logos, Vyrso or PB's.

There is this ability to some extent and it should provide a work-around for the time being. Just a current observation

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:43 PM

Dave Hooton:
BTW re-indexing does not provide a significant performance improvement, but it might save a few hundred MB of hard drive space.

I was talking about a situation in the future when we add resources that would trigger index rebuild.  Why index unnecessary resources over and over and over and over...?

What about if a user buys a collection and can only use 50% of it. By Logos' own admission, that is their modus operandi. They make a deal with publishers (similar to music industry in years past) to include books that otherwise would not sell on their own into massive collections and give sers a huge discount.  I actually like this system from a business standpoint, because such collection can attract a larger audience, users get a "perceived" value, publishers get sales volume and Logos gets to broaden their base. However, with such a collection Logos' design is that all of it must be downloaded, indexed and then 50% of resources manually hidden and re-indexed again? That is not only inefficient, it is a bad design.

EDIT: could it be possible to select multiple resources in Library, right click and chose "never to index" option? The more I am using L4 I am more and more convinced that indexing should be triggered manually. It is too disruptive when indexing starts when one is studying.  This is why Logos provided the "pause indexing" option.

My paradigm would be that resources get automatically downloaded into the Library view, from which you could immediately hide it or index on demand. An even better option for huge collections would be downloading JUST the metadata of all resources into the Library, where you can sort, select multiple resources for downloading/ hiding/ indexing, etc.

Another related idea is to have 1 master switch, which would toggle "novice"/"advanced" options.  Make novice options fully automated, but give advanced users advanced capabilities.

Posts 27467
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:19 PM

Vladimir Lukyanov:

Dave Hooton:

I was talking about a situation in the future when we add resources that would trigger index rebuild.

The context for my remark was your comment that hidden books should be removed from the index as this requires a rebuild.

When you add resources the individual resources are indexed and then merged into the main index, which is significantly faster than a rebuild (minutes vs. hours). This has been happening since v4.2a (March 2011). Since then a rebuild will only be triggered by a software change (see Indexing in http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4.2a).

Vladimir Lukyanov:
My paradigm would be that resources get automatically downloaded into the Library view, from which you could immediately hide it or index on demand. An even better option for huge collections would be downloading JUST the metadata of all resources into the Library, where you can sort, select multiple resources for downloading/ hiding/ indexing, etc.

There is always some baggage with base Library packages and I think the same holds for Perseus! But it is very personal and I do not think there is any advantage in what you propose given that Logos already allow us to hide resources and hopefully will make that function much easier. Overnight downloading and indexing is easy to automate and then you know the resources are ready for use. I could cheerfully hide 100+ resources but it is only the 70 Earliest NT Manuscripts that annoy with their presence in Bible drop-downs! If there was any performance hit I would have already hidden them.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:39 PM

I guess the key is to constantly manage your library (with each download), by tagging, creating collections, hiding resources. Then it will be quite doable.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 12:39 AM

Logos User Voice suggestion => Ability to filter the library by collections currently ranked # 10 with 411 votes.

Looking at a resource, wish for collection(s) containing resource.  With Canonical Commentary Collections, have some resources in ~ 40 collections (one volume commentaries).

Other Logos 4 library item missing from Libronix 3 is "about this resource" licensing information (know which base package included this resource).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2877
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 5:14 AM

Vladimir Lukyanov:

I guess the key is to constantly manage your library (with each download), by tagging, creating collections, hiding resources. Then it will be quite doable.

This just sounds painful.

I think I will hire a librarian and help the economy get stronger. Lot of those out of work in my county due to school cutbacks.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 9:18 AM

Vladimir Lukyanov:

Yes! Very doable and the easiest way to go! This is how I manage my 2200 resource collection that is soon to be expanded with all of Pegasus. Also I keep collections to a minimum. Tagging books makes a virtual collection of those with identical tags so you do not need to build collections for them.. These virtual collections can be specified in searches and the guides.

About the only time I use collections is to group several tags to give me a superset. I tag at a subset level then "collect" them into supersets.

Collections built by looking for words in the book title, are to me, defective. You cannot know what a book is about without at least scanning the table of contents and probably doing some spot reading especially in the front matter. Based on title who would ever guess that "Be Worshipful" is a commentary on the Book of Psalms. Since you have to open a book to know what it is about you might as well go ahead and tag it. You are already there and it is easy to do.

Yes, I will tag each resource in the Pegasus collection. Some I may be able to do in groups but much of it will be done one at a time. If I go at it for 15 to 20 minutes a day I think I will be done in less than a month.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 9:56 AM

Frank Fenby:
Yes, I will tag each resource in the Pegasus collection. Some I may be able to do in groups but much of it will be done one at a time. If I go at it for 15 to 20 minutes a day I think I will be done in less than a month.

This is yet another reason Logos needs to address the Library functionality and allow us to share mytags, collections, etc.

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 1:41 PM

Vladimir Lukyanov:
"Hiding" books must be moved to the Library view and away from "Program Settings."

Makes much more sense.   Yes +1

Vladimir Lukyanov:
Users must be allowed to select multiple resources at the same time and hide them

Yes +1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1722
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 1:59 PM

I appreciate the feedback, and we'll look at improving library management.

In the past we've had users hide books and then forget they hid them, then call customer service and want to know where they are, etc. Our experience was that hiding books just caused a lot of frustration, so we made it something that's more intentional -- especially since it removes the book from your hard drive and the index. We're reluctant to put that into the library, where it would be easy to do, and quite a bit more trouble to undo. 

Why do you want to hide so many books? To unclutter the library view? To free up space? Speed indexing? Are you "permanently" hiding them -- what the current feature is really designed for -- or just getting them out of the way? Would you prefer an "archive" feature that was somehow less intense than hiding them? (Moves them out of searches but makes them available in an "Archive" collection in the Library?)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 2:11 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Why do you want to hide so many books? To unclutter the library view? To free up space? Speed indexing? Are you "permanently" hiding them -- what the current feature is really designed for -- or just getting them out of the way? Would you prefer an "archive" feature that was somehow less intense than hiding them? (Moves them out of searches but makes them available in an "Archive" collection in the Library?)

I don't know about others, but I hide books which I have received with others (usually in base packages) which I have no desire to own.  I have kept some which really don't interest me very much, but I don't particularly dislike them enough to hide them.  I may eventually find that I want something I previously thought I would never want (such as Oswald Chambers or In His Steps), but should that happen, I would check the list of "hidden" resources and "unhide" it.  What is so difficult about that?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS