MY Library: Publishers observation

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:49 AM

In MY LIBRARY, under Publishers, I have: Intervarsity, InterVarsity Press, Inter-Varsity Press, IVP and IVP Academic.

I know that Logos is working on these kinds of redundancies and that they are not Logos-generated, but differences in tagging generated by the publishers. I pray for wisdom for the Logos staff/developers that they will find the best of ways to handle these kinds of issues :)  Go Logos!!!

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:54 AM

yeah - its annoying when publishers have name changes or re-brand, but technically they are all correct, until we can update our metadata ourselves I cant see this being corrected or given a high priority

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:10 AM

This might not be helpful when dealing with publishers but it has been suggested using collections to handle author name variations (John MacArthur's many monikers)

It would be time consuming and to what useful end?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:11 AM

You could use tagging to help with this

1. In the Library window in the Find box type: pub:(intervar OR ivp OR Inter-Varsity)
  2. Then you could on your keyboard press Ctrl A to select all the resources which are by this publisher
  3. Then press the i icon to show the information panel of the Library.
  4. Then add a new Tag for all your books for this publisher.

Now you could use MyTags to view them in your library window or use your tag in your collections.

This is just a work-around until Logos might fix your problem

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 12:49 PM

Super Tramp:

This might not be helpful when dealing with publishers but it has been suggested using collections to handle author name variations (John MacArthur's many monikers)

It would be time consuming and to what useful end?

I have done this for particular authors and included their articles from journals as well as their books. I wouldn't want to go to that work for many authors but it does solve some problems.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 2:02 PM

MJ. Smith:
I have done this for particular authors and included their articles from journals as well as their books. I wouldn't want to go to that work for many authors but it does solve some problems.

Was there a quick way to find particular authors in all journal articles?  Or do you have to go through all the journals one by one?

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 2:16 PM

Ron Corbett:
Was there a quick way to find particular authors in all journal articles?

Not that I've found.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 2:29 PM

MJ. Smith:

Ron Corbett:
Was there a quick way to find particular authors in all journal articles?

Not that I've found.

In most journals, article authors are tagged with the "Author" field, so a Basic Search limited to this field is currently the quickest way to do this.

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2011 3:29 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:
In most journals,

Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, I seem to specialize in journals that aren't yet tagged. But the Journal of Biblical Literature is and it will help. However, I'm starting another thread with an apparent bug.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS