Can I change the location where my resources are stored?

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:12 AM

As expected, Logos 4 is taking up enormous amount of space my primary hard drive.  The vast majority of this consists of resources in the 'ResourceManager' folder (12GB), with the 'LibraryIndex' folder taking up another 3.9GB.  I don't care how much room they take up, but I do care about which hard drive they're on.

In Logos  3 it was possible to specify resource locations, so as to store resources elsewhere other than on the primary drive.  I would like to store my resources (and my index folder, if possible), on a different drive.  Is this possible?

Furthermore, I already had 13.3GB of resources in my previous Logos 3 resources folder.  These cannot all have been copied over to my new Logos 4 resources folder, since if this were the case the Logos 4 resources folder would be considerably larger than it is.  I know for a start that it didn't copy over all the PBBs I had in my original folder.  I can't find anything in the built-in help which tells me about how to point Logos 4 to resources which aren't on the primary hard drive.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:51 AM

Logos 4.0 does not do PBBs.

Logos 4.0 files are significantly smaller than 3.0 files.

You need to do a resource count for each of these folders, subtract the number of  PBBs and help files and then determine if there is a disparity.

Posts 84
Nigel Cunningham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 3:02 AM

Hi Jonathan.

I believe (though I might be wrong) that you can currently only specify a location when initially installing the program.

After that, you can get Logos to look at other directories and copy data from them (using scan d:\path\to\resources in the command bar), but not move the directory where your resources are stored.

With my Linux user background, I think of moving and symlinking. I wonder if you could cheat by shifting the files where you want them to be, then using one of those shortcut files Windows uses to achieve the same effect? Might be worth trying!

Posts 150
Victor Ulloa M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:18 AM

Jonathan:

I don't know which Windows version are you using.  I'm using Windows 7 but this procedure works also for Vista:

1. First, I checked both the program and the indexer are closed.

2. Move the complete program folder under C:\USERS\<username>'\APPDATA\Logos4 to another drive.

3. Remove the now empty Logos4 Folder

4. Open a command line and change to the C:\USERS\<username>'\APPDATA\    folder. 

5. Then I created a "junction" to the new folder using this command:

MKLINK  /D  /J   Logos4    E:\Logos4

You must change E:\Logos4 for the drive and folder where you moved the files in step 2.

This is working for me.  I cannot promise it will work for you, but maybe you can give it a try.  Have Luck!

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:20 AM

Thanks for two helpful responses.  It is incredible to me that L4 has been released with two such devastating flaws.  Since I ordered the PBB at the same time as Portfolio, it would have been useful to know that PBB is now a waste of time and that purchasing it was a waste of money.  According to this, PBB will be coming out for L4 in 2010 Q2, which is more than half a year away, and will be a new product which I am going to have to pay for all over again.  The idea that until then I can't read any of my current PBB files (and may not be able to read them ever again), is also hardly impressive, and I would have liked to have known all this before upgrading.

Since L3 was extremely tolerant of relocating resources, and since it's such a simple and in many instances a necessary feature, I do not understand why this was removed.  I had thought this afternoon of experimenting with Windows shortcuts, but I thought I would ask here first to see if I was missing something.  Apparently not.  It's L4 that's missing something.  I'll see what I can do with shortcuts.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:21 AM

VictorUlloa:

Jonathan:

I don't know which Windows version are you using.  I'm using Windows 7 but this procedure works also for Vista:

Victor, many thanks.  I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 bit.  I'll give this a go.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:34 AM

JonathanBurke:
Thanks for two helpful responses.  It is incredible to me that L4 has been released with two such devastating flaws.  Since I ordered the PBB at the same time as Portfolio, it would have been useful to know that PBB is now a waste of time and that purchasing it was a waste of money.  According to this, PBB will be coming out for L4 in 2010 Q2, which is more than half a year away, and will be a new product which I am going to have to pay for all over again.  The idea that until then I can't read any of my current PBB files (and may not be able to read them ever again), is also hardly impressive, and I would have liked to have known all this before upgrading.

Jonathan,

"devastating flaws"

"waste of time"

"waste of money"

Can I respectfully point out that these are the types of inflammatory phrases that just raise hackles on the forums?

Possibly a better way to phrase might be like so:

"It's incredible to me that L4 has been released without PBB support, I really liked it in v3 and used it a lot! Possibly I should have waited to purchase or just use CCEL .org in the mean time.

Oh well, I always have the option of getting a refund until PBBs are fully functional"

That's accurate, it reflects what you said...but much without the rhetoric.... :)

I also agree that PBB support is something that I love, and used A LOT in v3...I'm anxiously awaiting the V4 version.

I wanted all of the other functionality of v4 while I waited for PBB support so I didn't have a problem using v4 ...In any case..you still have V3 for PBBs right?

Unless there is something that I don't know about...PBB's won't be a "charged for" item.

God bless,

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:39 AM

JonathanBurke:

Since I ordered the PBB at the same time as Portfolio, it would have been useful to know that PBB is now a waste of time and that purchasing it was a waste of money.

What did you order? The v3.0 PBB builder?

JonathanBurke:
The idea that until then I can't read any of my current PBB files (and may not be able to read them ever again), is also hardly impressive, and I would have liked to have known all this before upgrading.

I know that this is an unsatisfactory response. But, in the long mean time, you can read them in 3.0. This will necessitate running the versions side by side.

You will definitely be able to read them again. They will be converted into a better format - Bob assures us.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:06 AM

Robert Pavich:
Can I respectfully point out that these are the types of inflammatory phrases that just raise hackles on the forums?

Sure, but I don't see why they would be considered inflammatory.  If something is a waste of time for me, I see no reason not to call it a waste of time.  If something is a waste of my money, I see no reason not to say so.  In this case I didn't say that the product was a waste of money, but that buying it was a waste of money for me.  If a major feature is removed from a system, a feature which was previously marketed as one of its advantages, I see that as a flaw.  In this case, a very large number of personal book users are faced with significant inconvenience as a result of having upgraded to L4.  This is a major flaw.  Not only that, but I have a very large number of resources which I've been hoping to convert to PB format, so as to use them with Logos.  I can do that now, and use them in L3, but I'll have to do it all over again when P4 comes out.  Given that I'm talking about several thousand resources, the idea of doing it all twice does not appeal.

Logos is a peerless product, and the company is likewise without peer in the industry.  This doesn't mean we can't look at it realistically, and shouldn't mean we have to express our disappointments only in terms which are considered acceptable to some kind of censorship board.  And CCEL is gruesome by the way, what a clunky and inefficient way to use information resources.

Robert Pavich:
Unless there is something that I don't know about...PBB's won't be a "charged for" item.

I was talking about having to repurchase PBB, the 'Personal Book Builder', not individual Personal Books created by the PBB.  It's clear that having purchased the PBB for L3 I'll have to later purchase the PBB for L4, given that L3 PBBs aren't compatible with L4.

Damien, I ordered the only PBB currently available, which it turns out is the L3 PBB.  According to the link I gave, PBB for L4 won't be available until 2010 Q2.

I know that this is an unsatisfactory response. But, in the long mean time, you can read them in 3.0. This will necessitate running the versions side by side.

An inconvenience, but at least I can read them.

You will definitely be able to read them again. They will be converted into a better format - Bob assures us.

How is that going to happen without me rebuilding them in an L4 PBB?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:21 AM

JonathanBurke:
Since I ordered the PBB at the same time as Portfolio, it would have been useful to know that PBB is now a waste of time and that purchasing it was a waste of money. 

Not sure if it was there when you purchased, but fortunately Logos added a note to the PBB page that it is currently only available for 3.0. I hope that those who bought the PBB in the past for 3.0 will not have to repay for this resource when it is made for 4.0 to keep it in line with the rest of the way Logos works. To be on the safe side I would ask for a refund if you do not plan to use it with 3.0 and see what 4.0 produces. I also agree that any reference to the PBB being available in a package should have a "future enhancement" note beside it.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:25 AM

Victor, I'm currently trying out your method for relocating resources.  I followed it up to step 2, then skipped to step 4 (in order to leave the original Logos4 folder intact in case something went wrong).  Then I completed steps 4 and 5.  I created a new shortcut to the relocated Logos 4, and it opened without any problems, with all its resources.

So far so good.  I then went back and deleted the original Logos4 directory, and opened the shortcut to the new Logos4 directory.  However, it didn't start up again as it had before.  It made me re-login, and it's currently stuck on 'Preparing to download', while the hard drive thrashes and grinds.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:27 AM

JonathanBurke:
An inconvenience, but at least I can read them.

If I regularly used PBBs, I would probably feel some of what you feel. I don't even have one PBB in my v3 library so...

More importantly:

JonathanBurke:
How is that going to happen without me rebuilding them in an L4 PBB?

My understanding is that they will be imported and converted. I'm still trying to track down where I got that idea from

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:56 AM

Clearest I remember getting was the following:

I'm sorry we weren't clear. We ABSOLUTELY intend to support both PBB and SermonFile in a future release. The problem is that PBB in particular uses Internet Explorer for its format and for display. And you've all made it clear how you felt about our reliance on IE, :-), so we need to do some serious work to re-do PBB.

This work will take some time, and the big open question is whether or not we can intelligently and automatically conver the HTML in existing PBB's to our core display engine, and whether or not the inevitable incompatibilities will be acceptable or if we'll need to require them to be rebulit. (My guess is it'll be worth rebuilding/recompiling them.)

The good news is future PBB titles will be built using the exact same format/engine as books we offer, meaning you will get infinitely scrolling books and other important features.

We also intend to have an easy way to share your PBB books with others via the web, but that takes so more code on the server side.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:56 AM

Victor, I have it sorted now.  The first time around I accidentally created the link in the appdata folder, instead of appdata\local, where it needed to be.  Thanks for a great workaround, this is perfect.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 5:58 AM

Kenneth, that reply confirmed one of my worst fears.

This work will take some time, and the big open question is whether or not we can intelligently and automatically conver the HTML in existing PBB's to our core display engine, and whether or not the inevitable incompatibilities will be acceptable or if we'll need to require them to be rebulit.(My guess is it'll be worth rebuilding/recompiling them.)

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:03 AM

JonathanBurke:

Kenneth, that reply confirmed one of my worst fears.

This work will take some time, and the big open question is whether or not we can intelligently and automatically conver the HTML in existing PBB's to our core display engine, and whether or not the inevitable incompatibilities will be acceptable or if we'll need to require them to be rebulit.(My guess is it'll be worth rebuilding/recompiling them.)

Thanks for finding that Kenneth.

Sorry Jonathan - I misremembered...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:05 AM

Edited:

Deleted because I'm an idiot

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:44 AM

Johnathan,

I want to say something to you.

It's been a long week and I think that I was splitting hairs when I chastised you for your language.

I was in the wrong, and I'm sorry...it's one of my more visible faults.

I was being hypersensitive I think due to some of the other posts here and you took the brunt of it...and I apologize.

I'd appreciate it if you'd just forget I said anything.

God bless,

bob

Robert Pavich

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:13 AM

Bob, thanks for a gracious apology.  No offense taken, assure you.  It was a long week for me as well, and I was looking forward to this upgrade a great deal, so this disappointment hit pretty hard. 

Regardless of the fact that I feel strongly about the issue, now that I've seen a lot of other posts on this forum I can understand that those involved in writing the software must have had their fill and more of immoderately expressed complaints, so you were right to remind me to consider their feelings.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:20 AM

Robert Pavich:
Deleted because I'm an idiot
All this and he's honest too folks. Stick out tongue

Seriously Robert, thanks for this humility.  I know it's been a long week. 

Let us labor also to show the love of Christ to one another.  Even when "wronged".

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS