Why Notes on Passage Guide et. al.

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:44 AM

I understand why someone would put notes on a book or bible. But does anyone actually put notes on a passage guide and if so what kinds of things would you put in notes there? Where else besides books and bibles do you put them and why?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:52 AM

I had to ask the same question Kevin.

It was suggested that you might want to annotate which commentaries where most useful or something along those lines.  Certainly not much of anything passage related.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3316
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:55 AM

I actually build a lesson in "notes" as I study the passage and keep records of my observations, its a nice way to keep track in an ongoing study, and its great for sermon prep.

Works for me.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:03 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I understand why someone would put notes on a book or bible. But does anyone actually put notes on a passage guide and if so what kinds of things would you put in notes there? Where else besides books and bibles do you put them and why?

Here is my "For instance" example. This is a note attached to the commentaries section of a passage guide. I can add to the commentaries list by simply pasting a link to other sources that provide commentary on a passage. this lets me build a more complete guide. I find this far more effective then creating a collection search in the guide. You can do the same with the cross-reference section. Add your own cross references to the guide. If the guide is used for sermons you can put the songs that you sung for the message into the music section.

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:30 AM

Thanks. I don't think I will use it, but I was just wondering how someone would.

Again, thanks!

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:50 AM

I've actually learned to like this feature. When I'm studying through a passage, I can quickly take notes on positions taken by various commentators, note what was important, etc. This way when I open the next day I'm not trying to remember who said what. I suppose in the future, when I come back around to that passage I'll be able to see some of those notes which may be helpful.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:09 AM

But those notes will be assigned to the Passage Guide and not the passage won't they. Wouldn't you have to go back to that Passage Guide?

I do this, but in another program attaching the notes to the verse.

Posts 3316
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:29 AM

Kevin

Some have used the notes to mark passage all along even in v3, I used v3 notes to do the same thing as v4. I also labeled all my sermons and lessons by their Scripture reference and title- easier to locate by searching.

Thats why I was concerned about how long a PG layout could be saved - indefinately is the answer there I believe. So the notes tab I save to it will always be with that study.

I like to return to them occasionally and review them or modify for SS lessons in a different format.

I use a 1 t-byte external drive so storage is not an issue.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:43 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

But those notes will be assigned to the Passage Guide and not the passage won't they. Wouldn't you have to go back to that Passage Guide?

Yes. But I'm hoping for something like this in the future, which would essentially attach the note, and whole passage guide to the passage....

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:44 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
I use a 1 t-byte external drive so storage is not an issue.

Gotta spare? :-)

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:55 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I do this, but in another program attaching the notes to the verse.

Yes you would. The passage guide will show up in future reports under "My Content" so it's easy to stumble back upon a passage guide you've already worked through.

My custom passage guide has a section that reports back not only commentaries but a bunch of Journal Articles as well. It can take a long time to mine those lists for treasures. So my notes are a valuable annotation of which articles I find helpful and which I don't (and potential quick summaries of their content). This saves a lot of time and helps keep my exploration of the passage guide somewhat systematic.

You are right though, those notes are tied to the passage guide, so only make notes there about the results of the passage guide. I simultaneously have notes that I'm working which are tied to the passage.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:33 PM

So does every passage guide I run get saved for future reference or just those that I give a title to?

I would personally hate it if all of them did.

UPDATE:

OK answering my own questions.  Ran a passage guide on Luke 23:32 and then closed it. Ran another one on a larger passage and there was nothing under My Content.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:36 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

So does every passage guide I run get saved for future reference or just those that I give a title to?

I would personally hate it if all of them did.

My personal experience is that when I work on them (starring resources and making notes) they do get saved. The only way I know if to get back to them is to run another report that contains their range. They are saved though, but since they don't appear all over the place they aren't clutter. I'm sure they don't take up too much space so I'm glad they do it. Why would you hate it?

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:43 PM

Because it would just be in the way for me. I don't plan to save them that much. If they showed up under my content then that is one more thing there that I would have to wade through.  What If over the years I ran a passage guide on a single verse for each verse in a chapter and then ran one on the whole chapter? Lot of waste.

But it is moot as they do not show up.

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:10 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
But does anyone actually put notes on a passage guide and if so what kinds of things would you put in notes there?

I use them primarily as a to-do list - it was an almost automatic response so I nearly forgot it was new.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:56 PM

Actually the more I think about it the more I wonder if we are not letting our 3.0 thinking hinder us from seeing a better way. Notes in the guides might be the better way to go. If I run an exegetical guide, I can add notes to each individual word. This would get very cluttered in a note file, but the guide organizes them all and gives 1 click access to them. Simply create a guide called "Word Study notes" with only the word for word in it and have it automatically lookup up nothing. Click on the word you want to add a  note too. No needing to link to resources, they are all right there. Word study is linked as well. Just add your note to the word.

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:38 PM

I agree with you up to a point - I think you are headed in the right direction but I've not yet been able to get the "perfect" workspace. I do agree that habits from L3 (and other products) hinder us from seeing the best way to use L4.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:20 PM

Yes you would. The passage guide will show up in future reports under "My Content" so it's easy to stumble back upon a passage guide you've already worked through.

Jacob,

If I no longer need a passage guide that's listed under My Content, how can I remove it or permantly delete it?

Michael

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:22 PM

RevMichaelLBurns:

Jacob,

If I no longer need a passage guide that's listed under My Content, how can I remove it or permantly delete it?

Michael

As far as I know there is no way to delete it. But the good thing is that it doesn't clutter up any menus (it's not accessible on the File menu); you'll only see it when you run a guide covering a similar verse range. 

There may very well be a way to delete it, but I don't know about it, and for me, there is no point to deleting it.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:31 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Actually the more I think about it the more I wonder if we are not letting our 3.0 thinking hinder us from seeing a better way. Notes in the guides might be the better way to go. If I run an exegetical guide, I can add notes to each individual word. This would get very cluttered in a note file, but the guide organizes them all and gives 1 click access to them. Simply create a guide called "Word Study notes" with only the word for word in it and have it automatically lookup up nothing. Click on the word you want to add a  note too. No needing to link to resources, they are all right there. Word study is linked as well. Just add your note to the word.

Philip,

This sounds useful, but you lose me on the "Click on the word you want to add a note too [sic :)]" Where is this word since the guide is looking up nothing?

Can you show or make up a screenshot?

Chris

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS