Bring back the ability to remove books from the hard disk

Page 1 of 5 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 83 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:31 AM

There are numerous books in the standard collections that I will never use (e.g. all of the Syriac and Aramaic stuff). Some books from earlier versions of collections have been superseded with later versions of the book (e.g. NA26 has been replace with NA 27 Greek New Testament). I want to be able to delete what I have no need for. Just like I sometimes go through my physical library and give away or thrown out things I no longer need, I ought to be able to do this with my digital library.

I like that Logos 3 lets you choose what books you want on the hard disk (so does Bible Works and many other programs). I would like this capability back in version 4. An option to delete a book from the hard disk would be great. Perhaps when a books is hidden it should be removed from the disk at the same time.

My laptop space is precious. I had to remove a year's worth of digital photos to make room for Logos 4. I want to regain some of that space and remove clutter in my library.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:32 AM

Harry Hahne:
Perhaps when a books is hidden it should be removed from the disk at the same time.

It, in fact, is removed when you hide it.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:37 AM

You sure about that? Where are Logos resources stored on my computer?

Posts 2235
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:40 AM

It is definitely removed from the Hard Drive when "hidden."

Why they use the word "hidden" is beyond me - it is not "hidden" on your computer - it is deleted.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:48 AM

I think because Deleted implies permanence.  However, if you "unhide" a book, L4 will download the book and reindex it for your library.  

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:54 AM

Joe Miller:

I think because Deleted implies permanence.  However, if you "unhide" a book, L4 will download the book and reindex it for your library.  

I just experimented and found out that in fact the book file is deleted when you "hide" a book and restored if you "unhide" it. This is different than version 3, which simply removed the book from the list, but kept the file on your hard disk. I like this behavior.

However, the language is confusing. If you click on a book name in the list of Hidden Books, it says "Unhide Delete". They should just remove "Delete" and say "Unhide" or even better "Restore", so it is clear that if if you remove the book from the hidden list, it will be restored to your library.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:57 AM

I like that version 3 lets me view a book from the DVD if it is not on my hard disk. There are books that I would read once and then probably not refer to again. But hiding it is rather radical because it deletes it. I would still like to know that it is around. I guess I will just have to consult my Hidden Resources list.

Posts 2235
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 11:59 AM

Joe Miller:

I'm not sure whether it implies permanence or not - but it ain't "hiding" the resources and "unhide" is a made up word :)

I remember asking in Beta testing for several weeks (with others) whether the resources would be "hidden" or "deleted"/"removed" from my hard drive. Even after implementation we had to ask, "are they really deleted from my install?"

This question has come up a few times and it is because the language choice does not describe what is happening.

Posts 2235
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:03 PM

Harry Hahne:
However, the language is confusing. If you click on a book name in the list of Hidden Books, it says "Unhide Delete". They should just remove "Delete" and say "Unhide" or even better "Restore", so it is clear that if if you remove the book from the hidden list, it will be restored to your library.

The "delete" is the keyboard key.

It said something else in Beta - can't remember what - that was even stranger.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:10 PM

JeremyEllis:
Where are Logos resources stored on my computer?

Here's the secret paths. (No user-serviceable parts. Disclaimers apply.)

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\random.chars\ResourceManager\Resources

Vista/Win7

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\random.chars\ResourceManager\Resources

Because of both the username and the randomly named folder in the path, you'll have to drill down to find it.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 33
Randy Butler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:35 PM

Great thread.  Thanks, all!  I, too, wanted to de-clutter my library and HD.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 8:39 AM

I guess I'm wondering then; if my "hidden" resources are actually deleted from my HDD...then when you right click on the hidden resources...they say "unhide" and "delete" in a smaller font...

If you pick delete...what are you doing...double deleting it???

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:47 AM

"Delete" is the keyboard shortcut for "unhide".

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:03 PM

Darren...

thanks....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 18
James Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:30 PM

Hey All,

New to Logos and netbook space is a premium. Can someone describe how I can delete (hide), I guess, a book in the library.  In the library I get a list of my books, however nothing that would seem to hide a book.

Thanks and God's blessings,

Jim Adams

1st UMC Prestonsburg, KY

Posts 3
Sean Holder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:48 PM

This is how to do it:

1. Go to tools> Program settings
  2. Expand "hidden resources" at the bottom of the list. 
  3. Open your Library
  4. Drag and drop what you want to hide in there.
Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:52 PM

SeanHolder:

This is how to do it:

1. Go to tools> Program settings
  2. Expand "hidden resources" at the bottom of the list. 
  3. Open your Library
  4. Drag and drop what you want to hide in there.

This will hide the resource and prevent Logos from updating it, but it's still on the system using the space he wants.

If you still have Logos3, you can point to the Logos4 resource folder, restart Logos3, start the duplicate files and eliminate the duplicates from the Logos DLS\Resources folder.

You can also delete files from your hard drive after hiding them.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 18
James Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:15 PM

Thanks for the quick replies i.'m using Logos 4, scholar's library.

If I understand correctly,

1. I need to let the indexing finish
  2. Tools, Setup, Hidden files.
  3. Open the library and drag books into the hidden area
  4. Delete on the same resources on  hard drive.

Is it because the indexing hasn't finished that I can't drag & drop these resources?

Thanks again +

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:53 PM

James Adams:
Is it because the indexing hasn't finished that I can't drag & drop these resources?

Yes.

Unless this has changed, there is no way to hide a resource until indexing finishes the first time.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:49 AM

James Adams:

1. Delete on the same resources on  hard drive.

No you don't have to manually delete them on your hard drive because once you hide a book Logos 4 automatically deletes it

Page 1 of 5 (83 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS