John Piper sermon manuscript updates?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:58 PM

As part of the deal when purchasing the John Piper sermon Manuscript Library (http://www.logos.com/products/details/3392) it said that we would receive free updates with future sermons.

"you'll receive free updates of future Piper sermons. If your computer is connected to the internet you will be able to painlessly download these additional sermons in a matter of minutes"

I recognize that this won't be on a week-by-week basis, but the most recent sermon that I have is from April 20, 2008! I expected updates more often than this. 

Since I'm running Logos4 I'm going to assume that I have the most recent version of the resource and respectfully ask that it be updated.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:37 PM

And it's advertised on Piper's own site as "Free regular updates" http://www.desiringgod.org/Store/Software/ByTopic/All/724_The_John_Piper_Sermon_Manuscript_Library/

Any idea when these updates will occur?

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 6:43 PM

Sheesh Jacob, it's taken us hundreds of years to get some sermons into Logos....

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:26 PM

Jacob Hantla:
I recognize that this won't be on a week-by-week basis, but the most recent sermon that I have is from April 20, 2008! I expected updates more often than this. 
I would think january for the 2008 and all 2009 sermons would be acceptable.  Maybe January every year would be good?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:55 PM

Joe Miller:

Jacob Hantla:
I would think january for the 2008 and all 2009 sermons would be acceptable.  Maybe January every year would be good?

My assumption when I bought it (based on nothing but the word "regular") assumed that they would be about every 3-6 months (I hoped for more often). Every year certainly is regular, but probably not what people expect when they buy this. And we are well past a year. 

I know they've had all kinds of busy-ness, and this thread is not intended to complain, but just to bring it to Logos' attnention.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 10:14 PM

Jacob,

I had just been wondering the same thing. Apr 20, 2008 is the most recent for me as well. I thought I remembered updates coming quicker earlier on but that has certainly tapered off.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 1:58 PM

Chris, I think we've gotten one or two updates back in the early days right? I can't remember when it came out. But I'm hoping stuff like this does't die on the vine. My guess is that the text development department has just been a bit overworked with all of the prepubs & work on getting things ready for 4.0.

So hopefully soon.

-Jacob

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 12:08 PM

Bump. I was just wanting to see if we could hear from Logos on this and how often we can expect updates to resources where part of the purchase included regular updates.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 109
Darryl Burling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 8:51 AM

Also bump... keen to know this myself.  I think a yearly update would be good.  Maybe we could get the MacArthur sermon library going too.

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 8:58 AM

I, too, was wondering about this.  Seems like it should be at least semi-regular (6 months? 1 year?) to at least keep up somewhat with the steady stream of sermons that appear directly at desiringgod.org.  Maybe they could get whoever's updating it there to also build the resource each time? Big Smile (As far as I know, the main tagging is Scripture...)

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:46 AM

Oh yeah, and with all your free time, can you sync each sermon to the audio saved on Desiring God so we can play it right out of Logos4?

That would be a nice touch, but I'd prefer more frequent updates over having that functionality.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:55 AM

I'd love some feedback from Logos on how often we could expect regular updates. It's been more than a year and half since our last update on the Piper sermon manuscripts. 

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:38 PM

Reading a Piper sermon from 2001 as I study and noticed that the file still hasn't been updated.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:39 PM

I volunteer my services to do whatever needs to be done to copy the text from DesiringGod.org, tag the resource, and get the updates to Logos to maintain an up-to-date resource. Logos, let me know.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 4:46 AM

I'd love some feedback on this, please.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 3:18 PM

Looking for some of his John sermons and even though I have the Piper sermons in Logos, I've had to go to desiringgod.org to get them. The problem was that all weekend I was away from a hotspot so I couldn't read the sermon I wanted utnil I got home. Not the end of the world, but having offline access to Piper's sermons was the reason I bought this.

Logos, please update the resource as promised. Also, a reply here to this thread would be greatly appreciated so I know that I have been heard. An ETA would be nice too.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 588
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 6:24 PM

Logos any word yet on when the update to Piper's sermons will occur?

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:22 PM

It's now been 2 years (on April 20th, so not quite yet) since the last update. Regular updates were promised. Logos, please give us a response on this, and please update the resource.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:52 PM

With Piper taking a leave of absence (http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2010/4555_John_Pipers_Upcoming_Leave/) on May 1 keeping it updated this year won't be hard. I guess I'm just more than a little disappointed that

1. I have to go to desiringgod.org when I purchased the resource for integration into my library,

2. Logos hasn't seemed to keep their side of the deal on this one.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:58 PM

I don't even have the resource but I agree with Jacob that Logos should honor their advertising. I would be a bit disappointed as well.

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS