I need a STARs installation help please for a Beta (2nd) user

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:11 PM | Locked

I've unistalled and then re-installed as Stable 4.3 etc. Great. All is well  [This is on my User-Admin "side"]

Now, on a second user (with Admin priveleges) I 'm trying to put on the Beta. (A few monyhs ago, I thought that I had run it like this)

I have gotten past the "you are not an administrator" etc  (and NO I have not clicked "run as administratorSmile)

And I have gotten to the "custom" chouices of where to install and to unclick "down load resources."

BUT then - this [attempted beta]  instal process -- on the new user account -- ends with a message to the effect:  "there is a more up-to-date version"installed."  [I assume that it is referring to my stable version on the admin main user side?]

I was trying to use "Method 1/2 etc" but as I never get to "sign in" cannot  get to the "scan/ backup of reasources " etc.

[As a last resort I again tried to use the "beta" installer. It said I was 'up-to-date' ]

WIKI says: The new installation cannot be a version older than your working installation. [But shouldn't a 4.5 beta  be newer than a 4.3 Stable?]

Suggestions? Corrections? Comments?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:27 AM | Locked

SteveF:
I have gotten past the "you are not an administrator" etc  (and NO I have not clicked "run as administratorSmile)

When does this happen? What OS are you using?

SteveF:
BUT then - this [attempted beta]  instal process -- on the new user account -- ends with a message to the effect:  "there is a more up-to-date version"installed."

I think you need to install 4.3 first using Method 2 and then update to the beta (best to be an Admin user account if OS is Win XP as there is an update of Prerequisites with this beta).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 7:06 AM | Locked

Thanks for the reply Dave

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you  (North American time difference Smile).

I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows 7 (64 bit version) OS.

I had put 4.3 on first on the main admin user account.and then was trying to put the beta on the new user account

[Once I had allowed the  entire newer 2nd  "user" account to have administrative priveleges I no longer got the "elevation" requests.]

The installer does add the following to this 2nd user account --   C:\Users\Logos Stable\AppData\Local\Logos4\Install\LogosWebScript.    Then things stop with a message saying that Logos is "up to date."

[But the part that makes no sense is that] this is a 4.5 beta installerthat I'm tryiong to put onto the new (as of yet - non Logos equipped) user,

Does this information change any of your suggestions?

[Please do not let my naming this a  "user:Logos Stable" confuse the issue--it is a Beta I'm trying to install. At first I had intended to put the Stable on this 2nd user. Then decided it should have the beta version on the lesser used account--so again, sorry if my 'naming' schema causes confusionTongue Tied]

Clarification Question: Must I:

1. delete Stable 4.3 from the main administrative side;

2.then try to load Stable 4.3 onto this 2nd admin-abled user account;

3.and then try to install beta version 4.5 onto the main admin side?

I was hoping to keep the stable version on my "main" side and only switch over  to the beta on the second users side when I wished to do testing etc. 

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 11:17 AM | Locked

All is well. The Beta has landed, and in the desired User account!

I deleted and then re-created the "second" admin-allowed user.

With a brand new user all went as expected.

I do not know what I had done to "harm" or confuse the earlier 2nd user account.

Thanks for your help/questions & suggestions.

I've given it the Scan command and it is now preparing my library

regards

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 7:48 PM | Locked

SteveF:
With a brand new user all went as expected.

Well done, Steve. Completely uninstalling was the part I had omitted.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS