Search HELP

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 25294
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:01 PM

1     Hopefully, this will help explain the Search features on L4. Much of this is available in L3, so you could get a little more documentation from L3's Help!

1    1. References  <datatype Op reference>   eg. <bible = Jn 3:16>, <LN ~26.5>

Op can be ~ intersection (default),  =, subset, superset

Note many types are handled automatically, so  <~Jn 3:16> or Jn 3:16 are the same and

<G5547>, <H6213> are recognized as Strong’s numbers.

2.       2. OR, AND, ANDNOT, unary - eg. x OR y

Note Jesus Christ  = Jesus AND Christ, Jesus  -Christ = Jesus ANDNOT Christ

3.       3. ANDEQUALS, NOTEQUALS   (same/different location in text) eg.  x ANDEQUALS y

4.       4. BEFORE, AFTER, WITHIN, NEAR  eg. x BEFORE y. Note NEAR is a restricted proximity(??)

5.       5. Proximity The only unit is words eg. x BEFORE 3 words y 

6.       6. List (x, y, z) = x OR y OR z.  Note ( ) are optional in simple cases.

who, whoever, whom is a list of 3 words

who*,  -whoever, -whom is a list of all words beginning “who” EXCEPT whoever and whom.

7.       7. Wildcards *   Note processing can be slow eg. God ANDNOT heaven*

BUG:  * does not work within a word eg. who*ever + no ? wildcard.

8.       8. Phrase eg. “the God”  Note works in lists.

9.       9. Field search  eg. footnote:him, words-of-christ:bless

See Search Fields in resource Information for what is possible.

10. 10. Morph Search format is lemma:λόγος@N. Type λόγος (or g:logos). Type @ to get Morph table.

Translates to Bible Search as <lemma = lbs/el/λόγος> ANDEQUALS <lbs-morph+el ~ N???? >, where lbs=Logos Morph, el=Greek.

Note λόγος by itself is a surface search only! Use with operators and lists #2 to #7 above. Use h:transliteration for Hebrew eg. h:el

11. 11. Bible Search can be used with operators and lists #1 to #9. Get lemma format <lemma = lbs/el/λόγος> by using Morph Search as above. 

Note λόγος by itself is a surface search only!

12. 12. Basic Search can be used with operators and lists #1 to #9. Usually for non-bible searches and very fast.

13. 13. Topics are listed within the TOPIC section of Basic Search if entries can be found within Logos compatible dictionaries eg. salvation.

Use right and left arrow to see the topic in other dictionaries.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 76
EdB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:50 PM

what about searching for exact words, such as heal, without healed, heals, healing, etc.?

Ed B

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:57 PM

Ed B:

what about searching for exact words, such as heal, without healed, heals, healing, etc.?

Ed,

In the Bible search window click on the icon at the top left and click off on the "Match all word forms" that makes it an exact search.

Chris

Posts 76
EdB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:07 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to know about searching terms/operators that I could just type in when speed searching.

Ed B

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:10 PM

Ed B:

Thanks. Just wanted to know about searching terms/operators that I could just type in when speed searching.

Haven't heard of any typable limiters.

Dave's the man on this. Guess you'll have to wait :(

Chris

Posts 25294
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 4:58 AM

Ed B:

There is no speed searching in L4, unless you are using the Command bar?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:07 AM

I find myself constantly referring to this. Could it not be stickied?

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:15 AM

Mark Barnes:

I find myself constantly referring to this. Could it not be stickied?

Sticky would be great for this.  It's also on the  FAQ under Search HELP

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:18 AM

Dave Hooton:

. 13. Topics are listed within the TOPIC section of Basic Search if entries can be found within Logos compatible dictionaries eg. salvation.

Use right and left arrow to see the topic in other dictionaries.

Yes, but how do you search a collection by topic? I have created a collection of sermon illustration books. These books are indexed according to topic. How do I search this collection for the topic I want? The topic section of basic search only gives results from my dictionaries and encylopedias. It doesn't give topic results from the collection I am trying to search.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:33 AM

Sorry William.  At present there is not suitable way to do that in L4.  Here is a thread on the topic: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3470.aspx

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1
Edwin Colon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:05 PM

thanks dave this is very helpful

do you know how i can search a word like "rest" but search only the words of christ?

Posts 28005
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:15 PM

EdwinColon:
do you know how i can search a word like "rest" but search only the words of christ?

Yes, there was an example of the syntax in the forums - or check Help and the wiki ... think the old give a fish vs. teach to fish proverb - I want to teach you to fishCool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25294
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:28 PM

EdwinColon:

thanks dave this is very helpful

This has been updated and placed on the wiki at http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

There is an example of words-of-christ in section 9. Remember that you need a red-letter bible version (ESV, NKJV, NIV etc).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 82
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 12:06 PM

Trying to learn these things.  The syntax is a bit different than I'm used to, but I think I'm getting it.

I'm primarily trying to use the search parameters to create visual filters.  Is there a way to search all references to a given resource?  I'm looking to highlight all the links in my NA27 w/ apparatus to the apparatus itself, since the diminutive dark blue links don't stand out to my eyes well at all.  I can't get it to key off the link text itself, but if I could have it highlight anything going to another resource that would help.

I might also then apply one for the TDNT in the lexicons as well.

Thanks everyone! :)

Posts 25294
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 2:50 PM

TimothyShrimpton:
I'm primarily trying to use the search parameters to create visual filters.  Is there a way to search all references to a given resource?

Hi Timothy

Submerging your individual request in another thread is not the best way to get answers!

If you wish to highlight all refs to the book of Isaiah then create a Filter using

<isaiah>

You can substitute any book of the bible inside the angle brackets. HTH

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 82
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 3:24 PM

Thanks Dave!

However, I'm not trying to highlight references to Bible books, but I'm trying to highlight references to other resources in my library.  Thus changing the color of links to, say, my critical apparatus or to  the TDNT or really any other book in the library.

Any thoughts?

Posts 25294
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:22 PM

TimothyShrimpton:
Any thoughts?

I can only suggest a limited number of resources accessible via data type:

<TDNT 1-10>             ==> because there are 10 volumes

<LN 1-93>                  ==>  Low_Nida has 93 domains

You could do the same for Strong's numbers:-

<H1-Hmax>

<G1-Gmax>    where max is the largest Strong's number (different for Hebrew and Greek)

I think you can highlight all Protestant bible refs using:-

<Gen-Mal>

<Matt-Rev>

If you want to enquire further then start a new thread & state the specific resources you wish to reference.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 82
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:57 PM

Dave, thanks for the suggestions again.  I had posted in its own thread but hadn't gotten any response.  But I bumped it up here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12271.aspx

I'll stop cluttering up this thread!  Sorry!

Posts 2
Cody Gustafson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 10:11 AM

Does anyone know how to specify a search doing a general search using functions? What I'd like to find is every patter of "from x to x" or "from y to y"... Something like "from WORD to WORD"? Anyone know how that goes?

Posts 22285
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2017 10:18 AM

Hi Cody - and welcome to the forum 

This is a very old thread and I don't think many people will see it.

Please start a new thread in the Logos 7 forum and explain what you are trying to do.

And please provide some specific examples - I'm afraid i don't understand what you are trying to achieve!

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS