How stable is the L4Mac Beta?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 11 2011 2:16 PM | Locked

Well, after much research and contemplation, I have finally taken the plunge and bought a MBP. Having been on PC's since the late 80's and with Libronix and Logos since almost the beginning, I was using the Beta for Windows, which, for me was quite stable. So my question is. . .how stable is the current iteration of L 4 Mac? Is it about at stable as L 4 Windows?

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 5911
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 2:37 PM | Locked

Ron Washington:

Well, after much research and contemplation, I have finally taken the plunge and bought a MBP. Having been on PC's since the late 80's and with Libronix and Logos since almost the beginning, I was using the Beta for Windows, which, for me was quite stable. So my question is. . .how stable is the current iteration of L 4 Mac? Is it about at stable as L 4 Windows?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the Mac community - you will have a bit of learning curve but I think you will find it well worth the effort.

Beta 9 seems quite stable BUT Beta 10 may be a completely different matter - that is the nature of Beta's. If you want (need) reliability then stick to the stable versions.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30533
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 2:46 PM | Locked

Ron - I agree with what Mike wrote. I would add, however, that if you have been using the beta on windows, your "gamble" will not be much more that the win doze side of things. Stick out tongue

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 6:00 PM | Locked

Ron Washington:
Well, after much research and contemplation, I have finally taken the plunge and bought a MBP.

Wiki Logos 4 Mac => Mini FAQ includes:

New to Mac OS X?

Apple has Mac OS X Applications and Utilities plus hundreds of How-To Tutorials. Apple Support includes Mac 101Switch 101 and Keyboard shortcuts. For OS X Lion, Apple Support includes Recovery (with how to install on a new drive)

Ron Washington:
So my question is. . .how stable is the current iteration of L 4 Mac? Is it about at stable as L 4 Windows?

Similar, Logos 4.5 Beta's on Mac and Windows have opportunities to crash or not look quite right.  Logos 4.3 and 4.5 were a bit crash prone for early releases, then improved.

On Mac, have couple options: can create another account to use with stable Logos 4 Mac.  Personally have Beta Logos 4 Mac in my beta user's documents folder while stable version is in Applications folder.  Wiki Logos 4 Mac => Need Logos 4 PC feature? includes virtualization and boot camp.  Having Windows in a virtual machine allows for copy and paste; also allows Libronix 3.0g to run in Windows (personally keep around for some stuff since Logos 4 has not yet implemented all Libronix 3 features).

Since Apple upgraded Safari to version 5, the Libronix 3 port to Mac OS X essentially became an eBook reader (along with lacking many feature parity items).

Wiki Mac and PC User Interface Differences => Feature Parity has about a dozen features in Logos 4 on Windows, which are not in Logos 4.5 Beta 9 on Mac.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:40 AM | Locked

Ron Washington:

Thanks,

Ron

If you have any concerns about stability, I strongly recommend that you avoid the beta.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 52
RPW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:15 PM | Locked

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the welcomes and your input. As was stated, I had been using the Windows Beta on my PC laptop. Actually, I still do have my PC laptop running the Windows Beta. So I am now running the L 4 Mac Beta on my new laptop. Thanks for your honest input. Will be checking in regularly keeping tabs on progress.

Thanks again,

Ron

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS