Passage Guide Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 27 2009 9:35 AM

It would be nice if we could select multiple collections in the Commentaries section of the passage guide, and them have them group by collection in the results.  I'd also like to order the collections, so I can put most desired commentaries first, but also have other ones available without cluttering up the ones I need to find first.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:27 PM

Todd Phillips:
I'd also like to order the collections, so I can put most desired commentaries first, but also have other ones available without cluttering up the ones I need to find first.

I get the first part but please explain the second part ("but also").

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 10:08 PM

Todd Phillips:

It would be nice if we could select multiple collections in the Commentaries section of the passage guide, and them have them group by collection in the results.  I'd also like to order the collections, so I can put most desired commentaries first, but also have other ones available without cluttering up the ones I need to find first.

For me it would be enough to be able to open 2 different sessions of Passage Guide with 2 different collections of commentaries at the same time easier way than going to the Properties of the Passage Guide.

EDITED:  What I just found is that you can use 2 different sessions of the Passage Guide and even you change the properties in the other session, it works with the previous properties in the first session. I might build a Workspace with the 2 opened Passage Guide sessions, I will experiment with that.

Bohuslav

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 7:34 AM

Dave Hooton:
I get the first part but please explain the second part ("but also").

Well as it is now, I feel I need to limit the commentaries I have in the selected collection so that it isn't too cluttered in the result, but if the commentary section could have multiple subsections (categorized my way of course), then I would be able to include more types of commentaries in the PG.

Bohuslav Wojnar:
For me it would be enough to be able to open 2 different sessions of Passage Guide with 2 different collections of commentaries at the same time easier way than going to the Properties of the Passage Guide.

Well, you would only have to set up the PG properties once, and it would be set that way every time you use it, so I'm not sure how having two PG sessions is easier. It certainly would take up more screen space.

I envision my main collection to have the modern exegetical commentaries I use the most, a second collection would have older classic commentaries, another collection would have the brief laymen-oriented commentaries and expository-sermon commentaries, and a final collection would be a catch-all with single volume commentaries and others that I find less useful.  That way I can easily see by type what commentaries I have available for a passage and easily find the kind of commentary I want to look at, all in one window.  It would also be nice if these sub-sections were collapsible, too.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 7:53 AM

Todd Phillips:

Well, you would only have to set up the PG properties once, and it would be set that way every time you use it, so I'm not sure how having two PG sessions is easier. It certainly would take up more screen space.

I envision my main collection to have the modern exegetical commentaries I use the most, a second collection would have older classic commentaries, another collection would have the brief laymen-oriented commentaries and expository-sermon commentaries, and a final collection would be a catch-all with single volume commentaries and others that I find less useful.  That way I can easily see by type what commentaries I have available for a passage and easily find the kind of commentary I want to look at, all in one window.  It would also be nice if these sub-sections were collapsible, too.

What I speak about looks possible even now. What you speak about is much better but we can expect it only in the new version of Logos, I suppose. I like your suggestion and support it also.

Bohuslav

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 2:33 PM

Todd Phillips:

I have something similar set up using Parallel Resource Associations, but that requires me to start with a window from each group open. However, even this does not work in the Mac version. I support your suggestion, and can see it as a very positive step to improving the Mac version.

Jack

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 4:33 PM

Todd Phillips:
Well as it is now, I feel I need to limit the commentaries I have in the selected collection so that it isn't too cluttered in the result, but if the commentary section could have multiple subsections (categorized my way of course), then I would be able to include more types of commentaries in the PG.
Todd Phillips:
It would also be nice if these sub-sections were collapsible, too.

Logos instigated discussions a few years ago regarding flexible structuring of resources into Collections and Associations (parallel, serial) for the new-generation Libronix. The aim was to be able to define groups of resources (e.g. libraries or a commentary collection) and nest them to form larger groups (e.g. Collections). This would negate to a large extent the need for any report (eg. Passage Guide) to sub-divide and/or categorise collections for you!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 4:48 PM

Dave Hooton:
Logos instigated discussions a few years ago regarding flexible structuring of resources into Collections and Associations (parallel, serial) for the new-generation Libronix. The aim was to be able to define groups of resources (e.g. libraries or a commentary collection) and nest them to form larger groups (e.g. Collections). This would negate to a large extent the need for any report (eg. Passage Guide) to sub-divide and/or categorise collections for you!

Actually, with some effort and care, something like this is CURRENTLY possible.  Here's how I've done this:

1. Decide on various "categories" that you want, such "great", "good" and "soso" commentaries (or whatever)

2. Define a Parallel Resource Association (PRA) for each category, and load appropriate resources into its list in whatever sequence you prefer

3. Check ALL OTHER PRA's to make sure that none of those resources are present in any OTHER PRA.  This is important, due to the somewhat idiosyncratic way that Libronix (mis)handles PRA's with duplicate resources.

4. Set up a workspace with several tabs ... one tab for each PRA.  Also include other useful items such as Bible(s) and lexicons, etc in the workspace.

That's it.  To use the collection of collections, just open the workspace, click on the tab with the particular group of commentaries you want to study, and use rightarrow to cycle thru them.

NOTE:  this does not, unfortunately, interface with "collections" ... some of the other L tools use collections for their framework.  So, if you prefer using those tools rather than or in addition to building your workspace as described above, you'll need to duplicate the arrangement in custom Collections

I hope this helps.

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 5:10 PM

Dave Hooton:
This would negate to a large extent the need for any report (eg. Passage Guide) to sub-divide and/or categorise collections for you!

Hmm, not sure I follow you in this--I want the PG commentary section to be divided into subsections.  I want the visual separation between the different types of commentaries I have.  And I want to be able to define it.  This has nothing to do with nesting collections in collections, but rather controlling the visual layout of the report.  I want nested collections too, but that seems not to influence my suggestion in this thread.

I use many ways to access my commentaries (including parallel and serial associations), but the Passage Guide provides a helpful overview/map of what's available and I think my suggestion would help organize it better.  When using the default collection (All Unlocked Commentaries), the PG will put the most used commentaries first, which is handy, but it doesn't do that with a user created collection, plus that nice new commentary you just bought wouldn't show up at the top anyway, since it hasn't been used yet.  I'd prefer a categorized listing, using the categories I've defined in my collections.

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 8:06 PM

Todd Phillips:
Hmm, not sure I follow you in this--I want the PG commentary section to be divided into subsections.  I want the visual separation between the different types of commentaries I have.  And I want to be able to define it.

Sorry Todd, I did not elaborate the use of nested collections. If one is specified as the input there could be an option for the output to list the resources within each nested level, thereby producing your subsections. So if you carefully define nested collections this may negate the need for complex inputs.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 9:08 PM

Dave Hooton:
So if you carefully define nested collections this may negate the need for complex inputs.

Yes, how the collections are specified could be done that way, although supporting multiple hierarchies may be overkill.  The PG already has a multi-collection input further down the page in the collections section, so it could be easily be reused.  That's what made me ask for it in the first place, because it was already being used.

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:24 AM

Todd Phillips:

Dave Hooton:
So if you carefully define nested collections this may negate the need for complex inputs.

Yes, how the collections are specified could be done that way, although supporting multiple hierarchies may be overkill.  The PG already has a multi-collection input further down the page in the collections section, so it could be easily be reused.  That's what made me ask for it in the first place, because it was already being used.

But the other collections further down the page have a display more like the Reference Browser than like the Commentary section at the top of the PG. For me, this makes it more difficult to use effectively for large collections, especially if the collection contains Vine's Collected Works.

Jack

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:35 AM

JackCaviness:

But the other collections further down the page have a display more like the Reference Browser than like the Commentary section at the top of the PG. For me, this makes it more difficult to use effectively for large collections, especially if the collection contains Vine's Collected Works.

Jack

Yes, that is my problem with it also. I would like to see 2 (or more) separate collapsible sections of the commentaries in the main commentary list. The universal collection thing we have lower in the PG is not serving well that purpose. It might be good for some other things.

Bohuslav

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:35 AM

JackCaviness:

Jack

I wasn't referring to how it displayed, but rather to how the collections were selected.

Posts 10867
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 8:24 AM

Todd Phillips:

JackCaviness:

Jack

I wasn't referring to how it displayed, but rather to how the collections were selected.

What I meant was that you don't have a neat link to the target reference, but a listing of every time the reference appeared in the resource similar to the Reference Browser. Vine's was a poor example since that is not a commentary. Some commentaries have miltiple refreences to certain verses. The Collections section of the Passage Guide will list each of these. You then have to hunt for the actual commentary.

My point was that this section does not make a suitable substitute for an imporved Commentary section of the Passage Guide.

Jack

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS