Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011 7:13 PM

6837.Logos4Crash.zip

5466.Logos4Error.zip

1663.Logos4IndexerCrash.zip

2654.Logos4IndexerError.zip

Although this is the stable version it has NOT been working lately. WHEN I can get it to do anything I get "not responding" messages.  It downloads, it upgraded to Release 7. It appears to index.

Yet there do appear to be "errors" and other problem issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 7:33 PM

Steve, these files are a mix from different crashes. Some date from November and are SR-6 crashes. The topmost one is from Tuesday and is from SR-7.

It would be good to clean up your log file folder and be sure non-current log files are deleted. There isn't much information in the error file. Do you have a Logos4.log file from the same time as the error (2011-12-13 00:23:55)?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:49 PM

Mark, this is all that is in that drawer. There are no more files.

Which specifically would you suggest I delete / try to regenerate?

Mark Smith:
It would be good to clean up your log file folder and be sure non-current log files are deleted.

Do you want me to go into Notepad and delete the earlier lines? ie, just leaving the latest dates' contents?

ALSO in its present state this program WILL NOT shut off. It must be turned off by the task manager

Actually, right now it will not DO anything! It just sits there giving "non-responding messages

I've also re-booted as well as turning this off with the task manager

I believe that this(non-activity) has just started [during/since] the latest Release 7.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 9:37 PM

As I said the Logos4.log file which should be generated each time you open Logos would be helpful. If it isn't there, it isn't there, so that's all you can do.

I am assuming that Logos will not open to your normal Home Page or layout, correct? If not, have you tried starting Logos using the CTRL-key method? (Hold the CTRL-key down while you click to start Logos and continue to hold it down until a login screen appears.) If you try, take the options of starting off-line and opening to a blank layout. You may, however not be able to get that far.

Dave Hooton is good about these issues. Maybe he or a Logos tech will have a better idea, but it seems likely that the only way to fix this is by reinstalling from the Internet: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:23 AM

Mark Smith:
Dave Hooton is good about these issues. Maybe he or a Logos tech will have a better idea, but it seems likely that the only way to fix this is by reinstalling from the Internet: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

The log files suggest that an important file cannot be accessed by Logos4 and that there may be problems with the resource index files. So I suggest you re-install using Method 3 to save downloading of resources:-

• restrict your Security Suite (Anti-virus, etc) from accessing the \Logos4 folder
  • save your resources by moving the \Resource folder outside the \Logos4 folder (this will take seconds!) 
  • backup the \Logos4\Documents\ folder  (this is relatively small)
  • uninstall Logos4 from Control Panel
  • reboot the computer
  • remove the C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Logos4  folder
  • install as per http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers#Method_3

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:46 AM

Dave Hooton:
The log files suggest that an important file cannot be accessed by Logos4 and that there may be problems with the resource index files. So I suggest you re-install using Method 3 to save downloading of resources:-

Dave, Thanks for putting the "Methods"list together.

But It was not that long ago that I had to re-instal.

As I am very busy getting ready for Christmas services, I will probably have to switch over to the "other user" and use my bata version.

I had put the stable version on as my "main" one to get away from these types of problems. Oh well...

Thanks, Dave,

Bye for now - Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:50 AM

Mark Smith:
I am assuming that Logos will not open to your normal Home Page or layout, correct?

No, it loads just fine to the last resource I was able to load - an NIV 1984 with Luke 1 showing (Angel Gabriel's speech to Mary).

The problem is not with the "loading" but with the susequent "operating" -- as in, it doesn't!

But maybe I will delete ALL log files before re-installing.

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 2:57 PM

SteveF:
But It was not that long ago that I had to re-instal.

I hadn't forgotten that!

You might look at your Startup programs (Start menu, type msconfig, open msconfig.exe) and suspend any suspicious/unnecessary ones.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 6:53 PM

Dave Hooton:
You might look at your Startup programs (Start menu, type msconfig, open msconfig.exe) and suspend any suspicious/unnecessary ones.

Any further suggestions as to which ones (or why them or what exactly to look for?) would be happily aaccepted Smile

ie. If I am letting everything else load first before Logos, how do these affect things?

[Usually when Logos is working I leave Logos running and put the computer into "hybernation." My computer no longer properly "sleeps" so I have dis-ables that function. I almost alwaysd though, shut down the browser.]

Having now finished this weeks message (with the help of  my "other" 3 BS programs, I am feeling a little more interested in re-loading). Big Smile

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 7:04 PM

SteveF:
Any further suggestions as to which ones (or why them or what exactly to look for?) would be happily aaccepted

I think Dave may be referring to programs that you cannot identify as actually needed when you start up. Sometimes the name may sound curious or the Command line looks suspicious (not malicious, just unnecessary to run constantly in the background). You can drop any you wonder about, reboot, and if something isn't working go back to msconfig.exe and reactivate them on startup. Thinning the herd improves startup times as a side benefit. Be sure to look at the Startup tab on msconfig.exe as there are some others to leave alone.

SteveF:
If I am letting everything else load first before Logos, how do these affect things?

There may be a conflict with one of them that is causing the problem you are seeing.

The fact you have had to reinstall recently makes looking outside Logos compelling. If you haven't done so, run check disk on your Logos drive as well.

BTW: what machine are you using and what are its specifications and age?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:11 PM

SteveF:
[Usually when Logos is working I leave Logos running and put the computer into "hybernation." My computer no longer properly "sleeps" so I have dis-ables that function.

Coming out of hibernation can slow things down, so it would be worthwhile to investigate why "sleep" no longer works.

SteveF:
Any further suggestions as to which ones (or why them or what exactly to look for?) would be happily aaccepted Smile

Upload a screenshot of the Startup tab in msconfig and I should be able to make some suggestions Expand the first column and the Command column as much as possible (you may have to scroll the window and produce 2 or 3 screenshots).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:28 PM

Mark Smith:
BTW: what machine are you using and what are its specifications and age?

Mark, please see my signature. It is 18 months old.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:29 PM

Dave Hooton:
Upload a screenshot of the Startup tab in msconfig

I will do this after my Sunday services etc are over.

Thanks, Dave

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 6:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
Upload a screenshot of the Startup tab in msconfig and I should be able to make some suggestions Expand the first column and the Command column as much as possible (you may have to scroll the window and produce 2 or 3 screenshots).

Here they are Dave,

thanks

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 11:15 PM

Is VIPRE Internet Security your main security suite? Did you uninstall AVG Security but you couldn't get rid of AVG Secure Search?

Otherwise I wonder how many really need to be part of your Startup unless you use the associated application regularly  e.g. MS OneNote, Evernote Clipper, PDF Complete, Googletalk, Zipscript.  Untick them in msconfig and reboot the computer. If the application does not run properly then re-tick the Startup item.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27420
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:33 AM

Dave Hooton:
Otherwise I wonder how many really need to be part of your Startup

Others include PIconSta, Apple Push, MS Office 2010, Google Desktop, 2 x Accelerator items.

Also consider "do I really need the application"; in which case you should uninstall it.

Also notice you have 2 serious business-class protection tools, Infineon TPM and HP Protect. The File Sanitizer startup is the one that worries me, so try disbaling that in msconfig. I wonder if a secondary effect of these tools is that the computer won't sleep?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 8:52 AM

Dave Hooton:
Is VIPRE Internet Security your main security suite?

Yes

Dave Hooton:
Did you uninstall AVG Security but you couldn't get rid of AVG Secure Search?

Yes

Dave Hooton:
MS OneNote, Evernote Clipper, PDF Complete, Googletalk, Zipscript

I use the last two regularly, I an untick the first 3. They wouldthen still load when needed.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:03 AM

Based on the information in Logos4Error.zip, I wouldn't worry. There's only one crash in your error logs, and that was a very rare one - a file in use error on your library catalogue.

The hangs are another problem. We can't diagnose them without full logs, so as Mark suggested, turn on permanent logging, and upload a full log (not just an error log) when you get a hang.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:32 AM

Dave Hooton:
Others include PIconSta, Apple Push, MS Office 2010, Google Desktop, 2 x Accelerator items

I use Google Desktop for searching for files and the 2 accelarators for various downloads.

As for "Office" as I constantly use Word & Excel I assumed that it should be allowed to "'start-up"?

Dave Hooton:
File Sanitizer startup

This one is part of a utility program that I use for keeping files cleaned up. I have been assuming that it is a "super-strong" "Trash can" I was not aware that it was , or needed to be, a part of the "Start-up" routine?

Dave Hooton:
you have 2 serious business-class protection tools, Infineon TPM and HP Protect

HP protect came with the computer. I DO NOt know and it had Infineon TPM (built in?) as a part of it.

This is located in my Appdata/Roaming drawer which Microsoft says is for:

Windows uses the Roaming folder for application specific data, such as custom dictionaries, which are machine independent and should roam with the user profile.

I am assuming HP "wedded" them in order  that  "Software can use a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) to authenticate hardware devices."

[Based on the above I think I really need to have that on there--the question is does it have to be a part ofthe "Start-up" routine?

I am going ahead to uncheck some of the above list that I can tell will start up when I choose to access them.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:37 AM

SteveF:
Dave Hooton:
Did you uninstall AVG Security but you couldn't get rid of AVG Secure Search?

Thanks for finding that one. I thought that I had cleaned all of the AVG stuff out.

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS