Suggestions for naming and organising multiple collections?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:32 AM

Hi, I'm about to start renaming my collections and putting each book either dynamically or statically into one or more collections.  However, when I did this for v3, I soon found that my limited list of collections was not refined enough, with far too many books in most collections.  For many books, this removed the benefit or organising them, as I had to search through many books in a large collection.  I'd like to put multiple sub-collections into larger collections, and be able to search the larger collection at times, as well as a smaller sub-collection on their own at times too.  That is, I'd like to nest collections at one or possibly more levels.  Does anyone have a list of collections, either for Logos or for other book libraries, that would be useful for organising in Logos 4?

Suggestions much appreciated.

John Duffy

Posts 35591
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:52 AM

John Duffy:
I'd like to put multiple sub-collections into larger collections, and be able to search the larger collection at times, as well as a smaller sub-collection on their own at times too.  That is, I'd like to nest collections at one or possibly more levels.

This can be done. I know that my library is too limited and specific to make its collections of use to others.  But I, oo, would like to see the patterns set by the high-end users.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:39 PM

Well I haven't really got any suggestions for you beyond the categories that you might be interested in. 

I still haven't set up all the collections I used to have in L3, but for my money I'll be defining collections such as:

Journals,

Archaeology,

History

Biography,

Illustrations

Technical commentaries (e.g. ICC, WBC)

Devotional Commentaries (not everyone likes this designation mind you)

Studies

Puritan

Dispensational

Calvinism

Arminianism

Dictionaries

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:22 PM

Thanks for those suggestions - my current set of collections is more or less of the same order of detail.  But I've been looking for something more detailed, for when the library grows, as it has already in some areas.

I've come across the Dewey classification system for religion http://www.oclc.org/dewey/resources/summaries/#200, which is more along the lines of what I was looking for.  Here is a list that goes into some detail which is helpful http://www.mbbc.edu/page.aspx?m=1869#200 For myself, I would be happy with just a little bit more detail than the first link provides for some subjects.

However, the Library of Congress classification may be more appropriate, again with not all the detail that is available http://www.loc.gov/aba/cataloging/classification/lcco/lcco_b.pdf with the BV and BT being the most appropriate lists.  

An interesting comparison of both is here http://www.narnia3.com/students/libraryclass.pdf

An example of Dewey with too much detail in general, but which may be of interest is here http://www.acu.edu/academics/library/cfm/clorgaids.html

Thinking about it, I personally prefer the Dewey system as it seems more logical and easier to navigate at first glance, and no-one I know of uses the LOC in this part of the world (Ireland).  I could start with a basic catalogue, and if it appears that there are too many in one particular classification, I could add sub-classifications as required, and I would only need to sort out the relevant books without affecting the rest of the collections.  Or, even begin with a little more detail for some subjects, such as 253.5 for Counselling.  However, this would not cover everything, as I would need to have separate listings altogether for collections such as Journals and Best Commentaries.  But a combination of Dewey and a few other collections seems a reasonable way to start.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Would it be too much to ask for Logos to add Dewey and(/or) LOC classifications to each digital book?  It would be great in the long run, and could even allow for an alternative form of (automatic) library cataloging, with the user able to decide what level of detail to search under, by expanding the catalogue listing as desired, or set up favourite sections in the relevant listings.  E.G. some would prefer commentaries divided into OT and NT, while other may prefer to list them by Bible book.  Just thinking out loud...!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:24 PM

Thomas Black:
I still haven't set up all the collections I used to have in L3, but for my money I'll be defining collections such as:

And I'm sure if my posts showed up in his library he would have another category for "heretics".

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:27 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Thomas Black:

And I'm sure if my posts showed up in his library he would have another category for "heretics".

That's "Irritants" Philip.

John,

For IMHO Dewey and LOC data would be great, but I'm in now hurry to start adding it.  :)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:30 PM

Thomas Black:
That's "Irritants" Philip.

What can I say? I do what I can.

One thing to consider about setting up Collections is that they are in the process of correcting a lot of the metadata. that means a lot of the manual weeding of dynamic collections to get unwanted things out will be unnecessary once the correct metadata is in place. personally I'm holding off setting up my collections until I see what the changes will look like.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:36 PM

Philip,

I'm holding off on lots of collection work for the same reason.  Tagging however I'm looking to start pretty soon.  I can't wait till the meta data downloads.  But soon I'm going to have to spend time organizing my library or miss out on some good stuff.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:45 PM

Thomas Black:
I'm holding off on lots of collection work for the same reason.  Tagging however I'm looking to start pretty soon.  I can't wait till the meta data downloads.  But soon I'm going to have to spend time organizing my library or miss out on some good stuff.

Me too on all counts.

I'm finding all sorts of things in my library and really need to get tagging. I can't wait til they allow us to do this in the resource information window.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:46 PM

Damian McGrath:
I'm finding all sorts of things in my library and really need to get tagging.

I can't wait till they get the tagging synced so i can bumm off everyone else's work.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:48 PM

I've only just started tagging books with what collections they belong to.  Won't that make future comparisons easy?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:53 PM

Thomas Black:

I've only just started tagging books with what collections they belong to.  Won't that make future comparisons easy?

Yes. I tag everything with what I call a collection tag. Everything before my cross grade I tagged with "Old Resources" before the crossgrade materials were added. Then I filted out the Old, and tagged everything with Crossgrade. Then after my upgrade I filtered out Old and Cross, and marked them platinum...

If you wold like, I can tell you the rest of my very interesting story...

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:56 PM

Philip Spitzer:

If you wold like, I can tell you the rest of my very interesting story...

Maybe tomorrow, that bedtime story has already had it's desired effect and is sending me to slee......   

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:07 PM

Well, it sounds Philip, like you have used as a filter, Old and Cross.

Have you considered using "Rugged", as well?

Dan

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:29 PM

Dan Sheppard:

Well, it sounds Philip, like you have used as a filter, Old and Cross.

LOL!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:31 PM

Dan Sheppard:

I'll get to that, its in chapter 14, but since you want to hear about it....

chapter 1.2....

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:12 AM

Philip Spitzer:

One thing to consider about setting up Collections is that they are in the process of correcting a lot of the metadata. that means a lot of the manual weeding of dynamic collections to get unwanted things out will be unnecessary once the correct metadata is in place. personally I'm holding off setting up my collections until I see what the changes will look like.

That sounds interesting - can you tell me more about that? 

I missed out on repsonding last night as bedtime over here is several hours earlier than for everyone else who posted after me!!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:23 AM

John Duffy:
That sounds interesting - can you tell me more about that? 

If you look at your library information in table view you will begin to see a lot of information that is incorrect. Greek Bibles are listed as English Bibles. Commentaries are mentioned as monographs, etc. If it try to set up a collection of english bibles with lang:en then it will pull in those Greek Bibles because they are marked wrong. I then have to drag those greek bibles to the minus column. I'm waiting for the greek bibles to be tagged correctly so when I set up my collection I only have to drag true exceptions to the minus columns, not items that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:27 AM

You may have noticed that there are numerous errors in the metadata for various resources, ie all the information that is stored about a resource - type, title, author, publisher, date, series, language etc. This has caused some problems for people making collections since you make collections by filtering based on this data; eg you can create an English Bibles collection with type:bible lang:english, but it only works flawlessly if - every english bible is correctly assigned as type:bible and lang:english and no other resources are incorrectly assigned as such.

Fortunately, an ingenious but invisible change from L3 to L4 is that updated metadata can be downloaded without having to download the whole resources all over again, since L4 was released there has been a steady stream of silent metadata updates (you'll only catch them if you pay attention to what's happening 'behind the scenes' on your computer and monitor what processes are writing to the hard disk...), which means that collections are now starting to work like they were designed without manually "weeding" them...

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:47 AM

Jon Rumble:
since L4 was released there has been a steady stream of silent metadata updates

I hadn't notice them. Thanks for letting me know!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS