A Million Dollars...in pennies

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:18 PM

The Perseus Collection is an embarrassment of riches...that is embarrassingly difficult to contend with. I know others have already griped about this swollen beast and how it has been plopped unceremoniously in their libraries--and you're not supposed to look a gift-horse in the mouth, right?

Logos is losing touch, IMO. This situation is a manufactured disaster. Many hundreds of worthless titles now clog our libraries and the only options are either ignore the situation, which is untenable, or spend countless hours (adding up to days of my life) just weeding through tons of crap. And the one credible solution, hiding the swill, must be done through a 1x2 inch keyhole called Hidden Resources. Enjoy!!!

I spend anywhere from 4-16 hours a day in Logos, mostly in L3 because of the L4 Notes fiasco. In some ways it is my home. Unfortunately, Logos reminds me of Love Canal. It's home, but it's killing me. Sadly, Logos continues to be one of the biggest sources of grief in my life...and I can't do anything at this point to get away from it.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:25 PM

You can always mail Logos with the request to remove your Perseus licence. Than all those Perseus resources that are clogging your library are gone.

I myself rather enjoy the Perseus collection. And the best thing is: it is free.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:44 PM

All or nothing, is it? Eat your beans (the whole barrel full) or you can't have any pudding.

I would like to make use of perhaps a hundred titles, and am glad (I say it with trepidation) to have them. But the truth is, I really may never use them, I want them more for their potential usefulness than for any immediate perceived need. And for that slight bit of very muted desire comes the "all or nothing" curse.

Truth is, even if it were the pudding rather than the beans, it still wouldn't want to eat a whole barrel full. It's a bit like pulling up to a drought stricken town in a water truck and saying to the desperate souls, "Open wide!"--and then unleashing a firehose on them.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:57 PM

David Paul:
Many hundreds of worthless titles now clog our libraries and the only options are either ignore the situation, which is untenable, or spend countless hours (adding up to days of my life) just weeding through tons of crap.

David, 

By crap I presume you mean respurces you want to hide..

Hide multiples: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/41127/306582.aspx

Help on collections without perseus http://community.logos.com/forums/t/40023.aspx

it took me of all 5 mins to purge my unwanted perseus using above methods

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:03 PM

David,

I'm sorry, I really can't understand someone who gets a wealth of resources for absolutely nothing then starts to complain. Just say No and your problems are over.

On the positive side, you can use Library to mark the items you don't want and tag them so you can eliminate them from searches, or mark the 100 you do want. Create a collection with those to use for your searches.

The larger issue is getting rid of unwanted resources, not just those from Perseus. Perseus just highlights the difficulty of 'hiding' resources in L4. I think your pique could be directed at that and not the Perseus resources or Logos' release of them. If you haven't done so add your votes (all of them you haven't devoted to notes issues, that is) to the UserVoice recommendation on hiding resources: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/562637-an-easier-way-to-hide-and-unhide-multiple-resource I realize that won't fix anything but is a positive step you can take that will help all of us concerned with this larger issue.

Blessings on your studies.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS