Joining resources together into linkable sets

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12
Jeremy Wales | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 4 2012 2:49 PM

I like the way commentary sets are able to be linked to a bible so that when you go in the bible to e.g. Genesis the linked commentary set moves to the corresponding Genesis volume and when you switch in the bible to e.g. Romans the Genesis commentary volume is replaced by the corresponding Romans commentary volume.

Obviously Logos 4 knows somehow that e.g. all the WBC volumes form their own set and all the UBS Handbook volumes form their own set.

My question is: is it possible in Logos 4 for users to join resources together to make their own linkable sets and if so how?

I know users can make their own "Collections" so that you can e.g. search a particular collection of resources, but this seems to be quite a different concept to the kind of linkable, joined sets of resources I'm talking about (i.e. as far I can tell you can't open a "Collection" and have it closing and opening resources in place as it follows another resource to which it is linked).

Some use cases I can imagine would be e.g.:

1. Making a "Greek Bible" by joining together an LXX and an NT which can be linked to a full English bible like e.g. NRSV
  2. Filling in some gaps in an otherwise fairly complete commentary series with volumes from other similar series so that you can always have a complete commentary "series" open and linked to a bible
  3. Creating your own commentary "series" consisting of your favourite commentary on each book of the bible so that can always have them open wherever you go in the bible

I apologise if this already well documented somewhere. I have searched and not found anything but possibly I'm using the wrong search terms.

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:01 PM

Jeremy Wales:
is it possible in Logos 4 for users to join resources together to make their own linkable sets and if so how?

Keeping in mind your entire thread the short answer would be "No."

The previous version( Libronix 3) did allow for this, using the term "serial" as its description.

I believe that a number of people have asked for this feature and may have included their request in a suggestions Forum?

I do not know what the technical challenges would be to program this.

Others might also chime in with their own understanding of "serial collections"

All the best.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 12
Jeremy Wales | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:23 PM

Thanks heaps. "Serial" was the key word I needed. Further googling with that key word turned up that "Serial Resource Associations" was a feature of Logos 3 now not supported by Logos 4, or even planned!

That's really not good.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:35 PM

SteveF:

I believe that a number of people have asked for this feature and may have included their request in a suggestions Forum?

It might be better in uservoice....I would add some votes to this.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:44 PM

William Bingham:
It might be better in uservoice

It's already there: http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/549445-resource-associations?ref=title

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12
Jeremy Wales | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:55 PM

Yes, thanks. I've just added my 3 votes and a comment.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS