Open book/collection to random place

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:55 PM

I know about facilitating serendipitous discovery, but I'd also be interested in seeing this implemented for books and collections.  Why?  Well, for example, I have a collection called sermons, and would often like to read one at random.  Or I might want to test a hypothesis about a common Greek word in the NT and wanted NA27 to open to a random place to analyse the Greek. 

I thought such functionality would be fun and hopefully not too much coding (assuming it's not there already and I've not missed it, which is quite possible! :) )

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 4:29 AM

Paul,

Do you mean

1. "Open to a random place when I open it from the library?

Or

2. An extra option to open this book to a random place, when I right click it in the Library?

I wouldn't mind the second option, but I'm not fond of the first.  Logos remembers where I read the book last and lets me pick it up from that spot: Good behavior IMHO.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:27 AM

Paul Chatfield:
I know about facilitating serendipitous discovery, but I'd also be interested in seeing this implemented for books and collections.

Yes plus this idea for adding a collection for FSD has been requested several times.

Wonder about Logos User Voice Suggestion ?

Please add FSD collection option

Please add collection option to FSD (Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery) command (e.g. FSD mytag:sermons).  Adding a collection option to FSD command would be similar to walking around a set of library shelves to pick something to read while ignoring other shelves.  Ideally, FSD command could use same list of collections as Cited By.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:52 AM

Hi TC Black - no, not the first.  Something like the 2nd was what I had in mind.  I envisaged typing into the command line instead of "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery" which is somewhat longwinded and not the type of thing one might guess, creating code that would work like

"open ESV random" OR "open coll:journals random"

I thought that might be useful if I wanted to read a random journal article for example.  KS4J: it sounds interesting suggesting it on a user voice forum - where are these - I remember following a link to them on some other issues months back, but I can't find them direct from the home page - is there a way to click there so I can find them again? Thank you!

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:28 AM

Paul Chatfield:
Or "Open ESV FSD"  :-)

And for uservoice: http://logos.uservoice.com.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19357
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:46 AM

TCBlack:

Paul Chatfield:

Random is easier to remember; FSD is quicker to type. I suggest implementing them both as synonyms of each other.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:02 AM

Good ideas guys.  Thanks for the link TCBlack.  If you want to vote for this, the link is http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2494632-add-an-fsd-collection-book-option

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 9:46 AM

TCBlack:

Paul Chatfield:

Wonder about adding an optional parameter to FSD ?

• FSD ESV
  • FSD journals
  • FSD mytag:exegetical
  • FSD rating:3

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 9:54 AM

Paul Chatfield:

Good ideas guys.  Thanks for the link TCBlack.  If you want to vote for this, the link is http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/2494632-add-an-fsd-collection-book-option

Hi Paul,

This isn't really something I had thought about previously, but having considering your suggestion I can see that it would be helpful to limit the range of FSD. In all honesty, I rarely use FSD because, in a larger library, the odds are very high that it will pull out something inappropriate for casual browsing. It would, as you suggest, be nice to limit the range to, say, journal articles. Were this possible, I would be inclined to use it.

I have added my three votes.

Andy

Posts 9159
LogosEmployee
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS