What am I doing wrong on HIghlighting?

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:13 PM | Locked

I have a Bible up. I have a Note file up. I click the Note file to ensure it is active.  I highlight text in the Bible and right click on it, and at the bottom, when Selection is active on the right column, I see Add a note to "My Note file" which says it does think my active Note file is the active one.

So far so good, everything is set. So now I try to use it.

I highlight Bible text, click on a highlight in "Solid Colors". It CREATES a Note file Called Solid colors, and puts the annotation there! Says "Annotation added to Solid Colors."I highlight another section of text, click on a highlight in Inductive Colors. It says and adds, "Annotation added to Inductive Colors" after creating THAT Note file.

What happened to adding the annotation to my active note file, or is this a change I missed? How do I get this to do what I want?

Beta 13..

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:33 PM | Locked

Each pallette has a Save-in setting.  The default is "Pallette-specific note file".

Click on the pallette-specific menu, then click on "Save-in" to change.

You can select "Most recent note file" (which is what you want) or you can specify a custom-named note file to use.  This affects all the styles in that pallette.

P.S. thanks for asking this. I had forgotten how this worked and I needed to go back and figure it out for my own purposes.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:04 PM | Locked

Thanks Todd. Is this written up anywhere? I have been looking at the release notes but it's hard to decipher, and threads don't tell the whole story unless I missed a good explanation.

Also - I have resources with lots of highlighting, and because of that setting it has built new Note files with names like "Highlighter Pens". I don't want the Note file, as all the notes are auto-generated by old highlights. It appears that if I delete this Note file I lose all my highlighting (and I think I read something similar). Is that true or was that corrected and there is a way to get rid of that Note file?

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:28 PM | Locked

Dominick Sela:
Thanks Todd. Is this written up anywhere? I have been looking at the release notes but it's hard to decipher, and threads don't tell the whole story unless I missed a good explanation.

I am not aware of it anywhere.

Dominick Sela:
It appears that if I delete this Note file I lose all my highlighting (and I think I read something similar). Is that true or was that corrected and there is a way to get rid of that Note file?

Yes, I believe that is true.

You can drag notes to another note file one-by-one (you have to click in the empty space below or to the left of the note icon to drag them).  I don't know of anyway to move multiple notes at once.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:51 PM | Locked

So I upgrade to 4.5 (beta), I get these Note files auto-generated from all my existing highlighting of resources, and I can't get rid of them, or if I do it deletes my highlighting with no notice or hope of recovery since there is no Undo?

Who thought of that? Boy is that going to give us some business in the forums. I really can't believe that is the implementation. I hope there is something I am missing, or this can be changed.

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 4:34 PM | Locked

I agree.  I think it's too easy to delete in Logos in general, and this just adds another thing that can easily be deleted.

Plus, there is no backup.

Posts 27483
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 2:38 AM | Locked

Dominick Sela:
So I upgrade to 4.5 (beta), I get these Note files auto-generated from all my existing highlighting of resources, and I can't get rid of them, or if I do it deletes my highlighting with no notice or hope of recovery since there is no Undo?

You summed up what I think will be a common experience with Highlighting in 4.5. There are other pitfalls because of the Notes/Highlighting symbiosis, which at least two MVP's have discovered. And how about not knowing what Note file your Highlighting is in or what style your "Add a Note" will have until you create it? Or what will happen when you "remove annotations" vs. Erase in Highlighting. 

There is some hope of recovery because Logos has backup files (*.bak) for Highlightihg and Notes, starting with your v4.3 databases, but there is no indication of their utility from the developers.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9161
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:24 AM | Locked

We are developing a tool that Customer Service can use to "undelete" a deleted Notes document. (It will undo the effect of right-clicking a Notes document on the File menu and deleting it.) Anyone who deletes a Notes document containing their highlights should be advised to call CS to recover it.

This is just a short-term fix; eventually we plan to expose the "undelete" functionality directly to all users (once the implementation is finished, the UI is cleaned up, it's gone through more testing, and when it can handle all document types, etc.).

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:32 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

We are developing a tool that Customer Service can use to "undelete" a deleted Notes document. (It will undo the effect of right-clicking a Notes document on the File menu and deleting it.) Anyone who deletes a Notes document containing their highlights should be advised to call CS to recover it.

This is just a short-term fix; eventually we plan to expose the "undelete" functionality directly to all users (once the implementation is finished, the UI is cleaned up, it's gone through more testing, and when it can handle all document types, etc.).

Thanks Bradley, that will be great once it's done! And thanks for the CS help in the interim.

Will the final design require there to be a permanent connection between a highlight and a Note, ie. deleting the Note deletes the highlight? Will there be a way to "just highlight" text without creating/adding to Notes? It's a nice feature but I am puzzled why this needs to be a one-way implementation and not user choice whether or not they want a Note created...

Posts 9161
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:13 AM | Locked

Dominick Sela:

Will the final design require there to be a permanent connection between a highlight and a Note, ie. deleting the Note deletes the highlight? Will there be a way to "just highlight" text without creating/adding to Notes? It's a nice feature but I am puzzled why this needs to be a one-way implementation and not user choice whether or not they want a Note created...

Yes, this is the final design: a note is a highlight. Notes and highlights are the same thing. The only difference (between "Add a note" and applying a highlighter to the selected text) is the visual settings that are applied by default. "Add a note" turns on the note indicator icon and highlights with the note colour. Applying highlighting uses no note indicator icon and highlights with the highlighter style. (This is for notes applied to a selection; notes applied to a reference only support the Indicator and Color options.)

Some advantages of the unification include:

• You can turn sets of highlights on and off (by (de)selecting a Notes document in the resource panel's visual filters list)
  • You can modify an existing highlight (e.g., change the highlighting style) by clicking its note indicator icon in the Notes document
  • Many users expressed a desire to add textual notes to a highlight (e.g., while working through an inductive study) without requiring a note indicator icon in the resource text
  • Document sharing will require the highlights to be contained in a document (so the items being shared can be identified)
  • You can convert a highlight to a note and vice versa (e.g., mark up a passage quickly, then return and add detailed notes)
  • We get some new features "for free", such as being able to use any highlighting style for a note, not just solid colours

Posts 34450
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 4:58 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
Some advantages of the unification include

My list of "disadvantages" not with the overall design which I like but being nitpicky about the problems I have with the current implementation:

• The same icon is used both to mean to icon in the text and highlighting
  • The "before text" image now repeats on each new line making it useless for numbering items in a list, etc.
  • If is difficult at time to associate the highlight to the appropriate note as there is no indication of what highlight is attached.

I may have just not found it, but not being able to change the default file in which highlights fall is also becoming a problem as I actually attempt to use the feature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27483
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:25 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
Some advantages of the unification include:

I understand the reasons, but the UI is not intuitive e.g. the intent of many actions is not clear, the result of certain actions is not predictable and more information needs to be available from/on the context menu vs the invitation to "remove annotations" (whatever that means).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 25491
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:34 PM | Locked

Hi MJ

MJ. Smith:
I may have just not found it, but not being able to change the default file in which highlights fall is also becoming a problem as I actually attempt to use the feature.

This is done at a highlighting palette level - it was introduced in 4.5 B3 - from the Release Notes

"Highlighting note destination can be selected for a particular palette by clicking on the Palette’s menu in the Highlighting tool, selecting “Palette specific note file” (default) and changing the selection to “Most recent note file” or a specific user-created Notes document. (See Known Issues for Mac.)"

When you use it, you will see something like this:

Graham

Posts 34450
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:59 PM | Locked

Graham Criddle:
changing the selection to “Most recent note file” or a specific user-created Notes document.

Thank you - I hadn't remember that ... I think I can make that work for me with only a little hassle starting with a dummy note to make a file the most recent.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:10 AM | Locked

I have created a notefile for all the "junk" in-fact any new note/highlight gets added to it, I then drag the "real" ones out to their final resting places.. and the junk can keep growing without poluting the important stuff.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:04 AM | Locked

DominicM:

I have created a note file for all the "junk" in-fact any new note/highlight gets added to it, I then drag the "real" ones out to their final resting places.. and the junk can keep growing without polluting the important stuff.

That is how I am now using it, except I just l;eave it building the size of the default note per Palette type. Then I drag out entries to another note when needed, Does anyone think this is intuitive?

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:19 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
this is the final design: a note is a highlight. Notes and highlights are the same thing.

I have now deleted all my notes. Notes were bad enough before...Sad

quote: and the junk can keep growing

As I do make the mistake of regularly highlighting I will just have to keep deleting the subsequent notes. When I wonder where my highlights have gone I can just pretend I have short term memory loss.

The larger problem is the "mess" this makes with continuous (unwanted) synching - It appears to mean that I have to remember to delete all notes before closing down the program.  -- unless there is some hidden "do not make any notes" switch? Basically it means that for all intents and purposes "high-lighting" has been "wrecked."

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9161
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 9:49 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Basically it means that for all intents and purposes "high-lighting" has been "wrecked."

I don't mean to be dense or confrontational, but can you please explain how it's been wrecked? You seem to be stating that notes were bad, continuous (unwanted) synching is bad, and highlighting is wrecked, but why is this the case? What makes it bad/wrecked for you? Why do you have to remember to delete all notes? (Sorry if you've posted this before, but I couldn't find it after a quick search.) Again, I'm not trying to argue, but trying to understand your concerns correctly.

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:15 PM | Locked

Bradley,

I know from a DBA point of view treating annotations and highlights the same makes sense, as it didnt need a new table,  I would also have likely used that logical route.

However, Highlighting is not the same as notes, and the extra highlighting stuff which was background/invisible before, at first seems to clutter/break the system, it is a new learning curve, and most of us hate change

It is probably what's annoyed me the most, but now I have found I can hive the highlights off into a "temp" file, I am much happier, and do like the way  I can attatch notes in the future if I choose to..

I know there are those who will continue to hate the change, but its growing on me

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 3:00 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
Why do you have to remember to delete all notes? (Sorry if you've posted this before, but I couldn't find it after a quick search.) Again, I'm not trying to argue, but trying to understand your concerns correctly.

From my perspective, Highlights are not Notes - they are not one and the same thing. To me, a Note is content I want to add to one or more resources. A highlight is just a simple aid to visual review of a resource.  The paradigm of the paper world works very well for me. While it is very nice to be able to search through highlighting (the main reason I used to highlight), to create data about highlights all the time makes no sense to me as it's not the paradigm I have ever seen/used. Highlights = visual. Notes = additional content.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS