Slow Logos 4

Page 8 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
This post has 145 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 4:53 AM

ChrisWalley:

How I agree. See my post on Reindexing again. And please what about 3rd world pastors struggling with a Pentium and a Gig of RAM?

Someone at Logos needs to look at what Microsoft did when it went from Vista to Windows 7.

Chris,

A Pastor in the 3rd world with an older computer would be best served by using Libronix (Logos 3). Logos has repeatedly said that they design for the future. This has the unfortunate side-effect of meaning their software, in its early days, runs poorly on older machines.

Consider this post by Bob Pritchett (CEO) http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4318/35672.aspx#35672

Everyone likes to run the latest and greatest version. I do too Smile. However, sometimes the hardware available just doesn't allow for it.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 6:21 AM

OK;

I bit the bullet and bought a new system. ...i7 920, 9G RAM, 640G HD, 1G graphics card. Without a doubt...i see some improvement over my old system. HOWEVER...The ratio of money spent vs performance gained does not compute. I will have to join the camp that holds that the performance issues are not directly tied to out of date (3rd world) computers.

L4 is turning out to be it's own stimulus package...and i'm starting to wonder if Bob owns stock in some of the big name computer manufacturers. Big Smile

Posts 94
David N. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:32 AM

2011/01/11

Hi,

Bob Pritchett said: 

Bob Pritchett:
The big decision we made that's hard to undo is choosing .NET with WPF. This is Microsoft's brand new platform for the future, and it basically involves loading a system within a system on your computer. The program is compiled to a special assembly language that's then re-compiled to your chip at runtime, there is a whole set of system-level libraries running on top of Windows, and there's a whole display system running on top of the Win32 framework on your system. It's all a bit bulky, but it's the future. And it has lots of side benefits, ranging from easier porting of code to Mac, the web, etc. to easier coding of complicated features. The big negative is memory use -- you're essentially loading a second operating system/platform into memory.  -- Bob

Well, I think this post answers the question that I had.  I am looking to upgrade my hardware from "ancient" to "just old" which is all that my finances will allow.  But that is going from a single core CPU with 1 GB of RAM to a Core Duo with (hopefully) 4GB of RAM - which I think will give Logos 4 a big boost.

My question was how might I hasten the indexing on the new computer and I had toyed with the idea of swapping out my system disk from the "ancient" computer and putting it as-is in the "just old" computer.  BUT - I see from the quote above that the indexing also involves a step which recompiles the code to your specific CPU chip, so I MUST do the re-indexing to get the value out of my hardware upgrade in running Logos 4 on the "new" computer.  Is that correct?

Thanks, David

Dell OptiPlex 745 - Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz - 4GB RAM - XP Pro SP3
Seagate 160GB - 7200RPM - ATI Radeon x1300 256MB PCI-e

1 Timothy 1:17

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:50 AM

David,

Indexing is *not* recompiling the special assembly language code to your chip. That "recompilation" is what the .NET runtime does when you launch a .NET-based application (or the first time it needs to run a particular piece of code).

Indexing is what Logos does to make searching work, and links from one Logos resource to another. Since not everyone has the same resources, Logos indexes based on what resources each individual has. If you've heard the phrase "full text index", that's what this indexing is about.

As far as moving your Logos installation to a new computer, see this wiki article:

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Donnie

Posts 94
David N. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:01 AM

2011/01/11

Hi,

First I need to say that I purchased my Upgrade from Libronix DLS Scholar's Gold 3 to Logos Scholar's Gold 4 in January or February of 2010 when the upgrades were first being offered.  However, I did not install my Logos 4 upgrade until Christmas of 2010 because it was a gift from my wife for Christmas.  My main point in bringing this up is that I am basically at the point now where many people on this Forum were at in November of 2009 because I've just installed my Logos 4 software recently and I was unaware of some user's concerns with Logos 4 performance on older computers prior to purchasing my upgrade or installing it on my computer.

So even though Logos 4 has been out for a year, I am a very new Logos 4 user.

So today I read this post from 2009: 

Bob Pritchett:
I'm sorry Logos 4 is slow for many of you.

I know that not everyone can afford to stay on the latest-and-greatest hardware. That's why we made a conscious choice to keep Logos 3.0 running side-by-side. But we decided long ago that there are plenty of Bible software applications that stick with old code and run great on old machines; we're going to keep blazing the trail to the future.

Computers are cheaper than ever, and even at $400 you can find more than enough power for Logos 4. (More memory can be a huge help, too, and it costs even less.) I know everyone can't afford to upgrade now, and I'm sensitive to that.  ...  If you continue to use Logos 3, and then switch to Logos 4 when you next upgrade your system, you won't have any worse an experience. And I think you'll appreciate then all the cool functionality in Logos 4 -- Bob

I have to say that from this post and many others that I have read on the Logos 4 Forum, that I am quite tired of hearing that I should stick with Libronix DLS 3 if my hardware can't support Logos 4 - especially from Logos employees

My present computer exceeds the minimum requirements for running Logos 4 and I could grow a beard between the point of entering a passage into the "Go" box and seeing the "Passage Guide" report.  Plus - Libronix DLS 3 users were bombarded with upgrade options and discounts to upgrade to Logos 4 - with never any mention of possibly having to upgrade your hardware.  So, I went by the suggested minimum system requirements and Logos 4 runs exceptionally slow on my "ancient" computer.  But that was my choice.

The thing that I find insulting in the post cited above is the implication that I shouldn't complain and that I should be happy with other "archaic" software that matches my "ancient" computer - and leave the cutting edge software (like Logos 4) to those of you who are fortunate enough to have a job and be able to afford today's technology today - instead of four years from now.

Also, $400 dollars may buy a great computer - but when you and your wife are unemployed and without unemployment benefits - $400 goes a long way in paying the rent!  A lot changes in a year.

David

Posts 94
David N. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:06 AM

2011/01/11

Hi Donnie,

Thanks so much for your reply and pointing me to the place in the Wiki where I can get some help with my issue.  You said: 

Donnie Hale:
David,

As far as moving your Logos installation to a new computer, see this wiki article:

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Donnie

I will definitely check that out now.

David

Page 8 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 | RSS