Pigeons Everywhere!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 14 2012 12:43 AM

I was reading something in Mark 16, and began clicking and following links.

I discovered a few things along the way:

1) An older work was quoting some of the greek text (from Mark 16), and then re-phrased it in Latin. Clearly, it assumed the reader was more fluent in Latin than in Greek. But then is was from 1875 or something like that.

2) A reference lead in due cause to something from Philo. A bit later, on a different page in that same work, I discovered the lines below about pigeons.

My point is nothing very deep other than it say its great to sometimes get off the Internet and read some of the great works from times past. Of course, the Bible is also one such work!

(64) There is a city of Syria, on the sea shore, Ascalon by name: when I was there, at the time when I was on my journey towards the temple of my native land for the purpose of offering up prayers and sacrifices therein, I saw a most incalculable number of pigeons on the roads and about every house; and when I inquired the cause of their being there in such numbers, they said that it was not lawful to catch them, for that the use of them had been prohibited to the inhabitants from the earliest ages; and so the bird had become so thoroughly tame through fearlessness, that it not only hovered about the roofs and came into the houses, but approached their tables also, and grew luxurious in the alliance which it had thus formed.

Philo of Alexandria, & Yonge, C. D. (1995). The works of Philo: Complete and unabridged (755). Peabody, MA: Hendrickson.

logosres:philo;ref=WorksOfPhilo.Prov_II_64;off=-154

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 9:20 AM

lol Jim, it's the danger of every Logos user's study.  There are so many links to click, information to read!

Posts 57
James Tetley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 9:22 AM

Sounds like the pigeons in London, England!!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 9:28 AM

Watch out for the pigeon poop!  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS