What's a Good Tool for Marking Up Photos?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:40 PM

I'm using Jing for capturing pics of Logos so I can ask for help (or offer it).  I need something better than MS Paint to put arrows and text on the pics.

What do you all recommend?  (I don't want to spend much $$, but I don't need a fancy tool...simple will do.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:47 PM

Doc B:

I'm using Jing for capturing pics of Logos so I can ask for help (or offer it).  I need something better than MS Paint to put arrows and text on the pics.

What do you all recommend?  (I don't want to spend much $, but I don't need a fancy tool...simple will do.)

I thought Jing did offer some mark-up options (but I don't know, since I don't use it).

A number of tools are recommended here, though I don't know which do/don't include markup.

I use PicPick (see on that list) and it does offer me a lot of ways to mark up an image. It is a sort of nag-ware, in that it frequently updates, and every time wants to install the Bing search bar. But that can be avoided by choosing the custom installation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that PicPick is free for personal & non-profit use.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:49 PM

Free option on Windows is Paint.NET => http://www.getpaint.net/ that was designed to replace Paint accessory.

Another free option with more extensive learning curve is Gimp => http://www.gimp.org/

If using Mac OS X, Apple's Preview application has annotation capabilities, which can be used for images and PDF's.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 712
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:50 PM

I like Google's Picasa.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 3:59 PM

SnagIt is awesome. It is Jing's big brother, from the same company (TechSmith). It costs $49.95, but I use it so often I think it's well worth the money. One of my favorite apps.

Some other possibilities are:

IrfanView (free) - quickie review from LifeHacker here

GIMP (free) - very powerful, akin to Photoshop, can do the arrows and callouts but it takes some work and/or plugins

Another one I haven't tried myself but which claims to be able to do all of what you want and capture screenshots as well, and is donation-ware, is:

ScreenshotCaptor

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:09 PM

Jerry Bush:

I like Google's Picasa.

Jerry

I have Picasa. How do you do a screen shot & mark up with Picasa?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:51 AM

One of the best programs which gives you options to mark-up photos with text, arrows, shapes, etc. is Powerpoint. 

If you add the photo you want to edit to a blank slide, make the changes you want and then export the slide as a jpg or pdf.  (You can export the whole slide as an image simply by taking a screenshot.)

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:54 PM

Paul Clarke:
One of the best programs which gives you options to mark-up photos with text, arrows, shapes, etc. is Powerpoint. 

Didn't think of that one.  I'll use it while I explore the other options.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:24 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
I thought Jing did offer some mark-up options (but I don't know, since I don't use it).

The free version, which I use, has some rudimentary tools, and I had pretty much ignored them, but having read your suggestion, I'm going back to look at the documentation; they may do 90% of what I need.  Thanks for making me re-think this.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS