Spurgeons Sermons as a Priority source

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
Bill Kittredge | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:44 AM

Love Spurgeon and am always curious what he has to say on a particular passage. Is there a way to have his Sermons open up when I type a passge in the passage window. I know when I prioritize commentaries they come up first, but don't know a way to have his sermons come up. In the sermon section only ones that come up are sermonaudio. Any help appreciated

Posts 24760
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:58 AM

Hi Bill - and welcome to the forums.

Bill Kittredge:
Is there a way to have his Sermons open up when I type a passge in the passage window.

I don't have this resource but don't believe it is tagged as a commentary - probably its tagged as a monograph - and so it won't appear in the commentary section of your Passage Guide.

What you could do it create a Collection containing all of the sermon resources (for details of creating Collections please see http://wiki.logos.com/Collections) and then create a customised Passage Guide which includes that collection (for details of doing this please see http://wiki.logos.com/Passage_Guide)

When you run that Passage Guide, sermons which contain the passage you are interested in should appear in the relevant section in the PG.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:39 PM

Graham Criddle:
sermons which contain the passage you are interested in should appear in the relevant section in the PG

i.e. put your sermon collection in the Collections section.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 24760
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:42 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clarifying that, I should have been a lot clearer!

And congratulations on reaching 10,000 posts. A great achievement, thanks for all your help.

Graham

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:38 PM

Bill Kittredge:
Is there a way to have his Sermons open up when I type a passge in the passage window.

Having Spurgeon results in the Commentaries section would be really useful. What we really need is a Personal Book which is an index to all his sermons. Give me a few hours, and hopefully I'll be able to produce one.

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:57 PM

Glad to give you the time. (It costs nothing to do so). There is an old AGES volume (you may have it) that is an alphabetical index of his sermons. In another thread someone had discovered some incorrect links.

A scripture and title PB would be very useful.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:03 PM

Bill Kittredge:

Love Spurgeon and am always curious what he has to say on a particular passage. Is there a way to have his Sermons open up when I type a passge in the passage window. I know when I prioritize commentaries they come up first, but don't know a way to have his sermons come up. In the sermon section only ones that come up are sermonaudio. Any help appreciated

As others have mentioned, putting Spurgeon in a collection works well. I have several sermon collections (much of the Tozer stuff is really his sermons, e.g.). I created collections for each of these and then created a guide that references them. This is a very helpful way to go. While this includes references in a sermon to a text (not just the texts a sermon is based on), it is still helpful. Often those minor texts are parts of sub-points that are still valuable to read.

My self-made Sermon Guide is one of the most helpful guides I have for sermon prep.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 15
Bill Kittredge | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:39 PM

Thanks guys, 

Have to tell you, new to the user forums, pretty new to Logos. About 8 months now, have the Platinum and just bought the Masters Holiday collection. Think I have enough books to last a lifetime and still have a 1,000 credit to pick up some Boice and Theological Journals. Waiting for my MP shipment coming to learn some more, but I guess the best thing about the Logos program is the brotherhood in the forums. You guys are sick, makes me want to learn more about the program to help others as well. Reminds me of Christ's Love for us, as the love from him that is poured into us overflows and we have no choice but to share it with others. Just want to know comments and efforts appreciated. I will experiment later, but again blown away by quick responses and efforts. Looking forward to getting in the trenches and unleash the power of this program.

Bill

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 5:15 PM

OK, here's a Scripture Index to Spurgeon's Sermons that you can compile as a Personal Book: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/44270.aspx

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:30 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I created collections for each of these and then created a guide that references them.

Thanks for the inspiration. I have attempted to use Cited by… extensively, but—at least in L4 Mac—it is more irritating than useful. However, creating an Author PG is much easier to work with and far more useful.

Posts 15
Bill Kittredge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:16 PM

Thanks Mark,

Much appreciated, so I compiled it in as a persona book and had it classified as a commentary, than prioritized it and put it near the top of my lists. However when I put a passage ( and specifically used a passage that is in the spurgeon index list. It did not come up. This was after I had updated by books and let the program reindex as well. I scrolled through all commentaries in the passage guide, and not there as well. Is there another step I am missing after it is added as a commentary in personal books?

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:26 PM

Bill Kittredge:

Much appreciated, so I compiled it in as a persona book and had it classified as a commentary, than prioritized it and put it near the top of my lists. However when I put a passage ( and specifically used a passage that is in the spurgeon index list. It did not come up. This was after I had updated by books and let the program reindex as well. I scrolled through all commentaries in the passage guide, and not there as well. Is there another step I am missing after it is added as a commentary in personal books?

It sounds like you've done everything correctly, and those steps work correctly for me.

It might be worth checking you have it classified as a Bible Commentary not just a Commentary. (Rebuild the PB after making the change.) You might also like to know that there's an updated version of the file here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/44342.aspx

Posts 15
Bill Kittredge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:45 PM

Bingo!!

Posts 15
Bill Kittredge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:52 PM

Bingo, thanks again

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS