New Interpreter's Bible (12 Vols.) - Pre-Publication Examples

Page 12 of 14 (272 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next >
This post has 271 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 4:40 PM

James R Harlan:
one missing resource that would make Logos just about complete.

That's just it…. Logos has almost everything you could need or want but NIB, the New Interpreter's Bible may not be for everyone, but i know a lot who have it alone, and for me personally if I could have only one commentary I would take the NIB in a heart beat. To me the NIB not being in Logos is like a grocery store without milk… Something important is missing. It seems like a no brannier that Logos should be working their hardest on getting this in their Library ASAP, but they have their pre pub system and apparently I am in a minority among Logos users. My only hope is the growing number of Catholic users may help generate more interest.

-Dan 

Posts 11
James R Harlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 7:25 PM

Exactly, Dan. It seems that this should be one of the most broadly-appealing resources around. I generally appreciate and understand the pre-pub system, but this is a resource that should warrant some different thinking, perhaps.

I'll still wait, but it's seeming a bit discouraging at times.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2013 8:03 PM

James R Harlan:
I generally appreciate and understand the pre-pub system, but this is a resource that should warrant some different thinking, perhaps.

Bob Pritchett <bob@logos.com> If people like me who feel passionate about this politely write Bob and explain why they feel this way perhaps Bob will do something. I wouldn't hold my breath but if he gets numerous emails making a good case, perhaps we can convince him.

-Dan

PS: My last plea just led to him examining it closer and things being moved back so I don't hold a ton of hope, but I have no illusion about being powerfully persuasive, and I am just one person, although even the persistent widow can wear down a judge.

Posts 11
James R Harlan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 3 2013 3:11 PM

Dan,

I wrote him a note. I'll keep hoping to get it sooner rather than later...and love Logos in the meantime.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 3 2013 4:15 PM

Dan Francis:
although even the persistent widow can wear down a judge.
True, but there's a condition: the judge has to have God-like manners. Otherwise he'd be really annoyed!

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 3 2013 5:43 PM

I've written, too.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 3 2013 7:08 PM

Sleiman:
True, but there's a condition: the judge has to have God-like manners. Otherwise he'd be really annoyed!

“Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart. He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Grant me justice against my opponent.’ For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, ‘Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.’” And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long in helping them? I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them. And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”” Luke 18:1-8,  NRSV.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 3 2013 8:07 PM

Thanks Dan for the correction.Embarrassed I did realize your allusion to this passage of course but I had thought I was on to something. It turned out that I easily forget details in parables and spoke too quickly before checking. Indeed, the judge was not God-like in manners at all.

At the same time, Jesus is not saying everyone will do the same if asked repeatedly.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 1:31 AM

It looks like the bar is at about the two-thirds mark now. Not sure, but that may be a slight increase (I need to start remembering where it was last!).

As for the dictionary, that still looks pretty low.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 9:13 AM

Sogol:

Which is a shame because it's an outstanding resource.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 9:54 AM

I agree. It's the only dictionary I want: New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 vols.). (All categories, as I have Gk tools already.) Some interesting Editors for example:

Adam Rao:
Which is a shame because it's an outstanding resource:
Sogol:

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 4:59 PM

Hopefully if Bob gets enough positive feedback he might make an exception. I know it is not a set for everyone, but I honestly believe Logos will end up attracting more users than the imagine by having it.

-Dan

Posts 611
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 7:23 PM

I like this set but I just can't pre-order it right now with so many items on community pricing. It is an item that I will definitely purchase down the road. I think that many people may also bein this position.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 9:23 PM

Jay:

I like this set but I just can't pre-order it right now with so many items on community pricing. It is an item that I will definitely purchase down the road. I think that many people may also bein this position.

Jay you are the type of person I am hoping to convince. Your pre pub is in no way false, for one thing, we don;t know how long it will take to make, two if you cannot afford it you have two options before release day cancel it, or contact customer service who can make sure the pre pub price is honoured and you get it on a payment plan. And most importantly you have stated solidly one day I will purchase it. I am guilty of having to back out due to too many things coming through at once, Logos is aware this can and will happen. If I had unlimited resources I would of course never cancel a preorder (although with unlimited resources I would be happy to start a program where every seminarian graduating who wanted the NIB could get it, but I doubt I will ever win the lottery and am content with being blessed as I am (besides a lottery win might be more bane than blessing anyhow)).

-Dan

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 2:38 AM

Jay:

I would like to say what Dan just said.  I would say that this resource is about two years away from going into production.  You will not be charged for this purchase until then.  Please go ahead and order the resource.  When it comes close to the time when it goes into production and you cannot afford it, then go ahead and cancel it then.

Posts 887
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 5:10 AM

tom:

Jay:

I would like to say what Dan just said.  I would say that this resource is about two years away from going into production.  You will not be charged for this purchase until then.  Please go ahead and order the resource.  When it comes close to the time when it goes into production and you cannot afford it, then go ahead and cancel it then.

And if the examples aren't enough to convince you one way or the other, then seek out a print copy at a seminary library or bookstore and spend some time with it. Plus, even if you do buy it, you can return it to Logos within 30 days for a full refund if it doesn't meet your needs or wants or budget.

Win-Win.

I'm glad this is at least a year or more away - that way I don't have to decide against it anytime soon.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 5:34 AM

tom:
I would like to say…

So, if you would like to say it, just come out and say it.  Don't be shy.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 6:14 AM

I was excited to see that https://www.logos.com/product/16061/westminster-bible-companion-series has been bumped up to development. Now if I could compliment it with the more academic NIB I would be one very happy logos user.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 9:01 AM

Alan:

I was excited to see that https://www.logos.com/product/16061/westminster-bible-companion-series has been bumped up to development. Now if I could compliment it with the more academic NIB I would be one very happy logos user.

This is good news indeed! Thanks for the heads-up.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 6 2013 12:34 PM

Adam Rao:

Alan:

This is good news indeed! Thanks for the heads-up.

I was pleased when i saw this a week or two back, I am more concerned with the NIB but do think the WBCS will be a wonderful edition to Logos. and I would bet that the majority of WBCS purchasers would be happy with the NIB, but I think production costs on the NIB are just being set so high...

-Dan

Page 12 of 14 (272 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > | RSS