Why I am starting to hate this software

Page 3 of 7 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 123 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1491
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 12:21 PM

The problem is not the software - it's us. We think that anything that takes longer than 2 minutes (more like 5 seconds actually) to load is too slow. Our standards have been increased to a ridiculous level. I remember when a 56k modem was considered fast. Even if Logos took 5 minutes to run a passage guide that would be fast compared to me running to my bookcase and opening up all my commentaries to the correct page and organized for study.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 12:28 PM

I did disable updates but that has nothing to do with starting the program. Yes I got every free stuff and that slowed it down a little I guess. However I bet it the SP that does more slowing then the free books.

Logos need to make the engine or books smarter. If the goal is to get more money out of me for books which I don't mind then the programs should handle it. Beside when indexing the program should not lock up.

I formatted my hard drive and reinstall everything I am running O&O Defag after I did all the Windows updates. I am going to run it again when Logos4 is done. I will see i that helps.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 12:35 PM

WOW sounds like my problem but it more like 5 mins total. Which is insane since all books are on my hard drive.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 12:51 PM

Randall Lind:

WOW sounds like my problem but it more like 5 mins total. Which is insane since all books are on my hard drive.

Randall, those symptoms sound like the signs of a hard drive that's on its last legs. Make sure you have a current backup of your system.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 1:56 PM

Randall Lind:

Jeepers. BUT - come to think of it, I do remember that I did a defrag when I went from L3 to L4, it was a IBM recommendation, so I accepted what it told me. But that was so long ago, I never remembered till just now.

Oh, I forgot: Xp/SP3, IBM R60, T2400, dual 2ghz, 2gb ram, [3/4rd] 120gb, external servered - 1/2'vd - 300gb Sata(s). Startup time averages 20-30sec empty layout from a cold boot. [IBM:TOOLBOX keeps everything topnotch for me and gives warnings and the like - ne'er a problem yet...VPN to server]

[[edit: I believe someone said something about the Perseus collection that was handed out as free.Well I got it when it came out but did not notice any slow-downs during the startup process...]]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 1:59 PM

Lynden Williams:
Here are my start up times using this computer.

To provide another data point, I launched Logos 4 on my 2006 Macbook (2ghz, 2gig ram) with 7102 resources. It took 25 seconds to sign in, sync, and open to my blank layout. Not bad at all. I credit my SSD.

I'm currently indexing a small resource download, but a full library search of "Jesus" took 10.93 seconds. Maybe it'll be faster when the indexer is finished. In either case, not bad at all.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:09 PM

mitchellisdumb:

]

Randall, those symptoms sound like the signs of a hard drive that's on its last legs. Make sure you have a current backup of your system.

How does one make a back-up?

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:25 PM

Dean053:

How does one make a back-up?

See this article: http://lifehacker.com/5816453/how-to-back-up-your-computer

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 3765
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:38 PM

BillS:
I'd sure vote to go ahead & start it up & sync AFTER we can start using it. Don't delay us any more than it already does.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but I see the start up screen as a little button that allows us to open it up sooner if we like.  Also, I right click on the Logos icon and select "pause for 4 hours" if I need it.

Crying is okay, btw.  We all do it!  Wink

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3765
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:40 PM

J. Kane:
I think a lot of this is simply a matter of perspective.

no kidding. I often think about what it was like lugging my books around and how LONG it took to open the pages, to set them up in a half circle on a large enough desktop around me, etc. etc.  In view of that 20-190 seconds seems like nothin'.

on the other hand, when I have my laptop at a basketball game and want to show a seminary student something in Logos and it takes 40 seconds to load, that is really annoying.  i'm soooo deprived.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1798
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:49 PM

Dan DeVilder:

J. Kane:

no kidding. I often think about what it was like lugging my books around and how LONG it took to open the pages, to set them up in a half circle on a large enough desktop around me, etc. etc.  In view of that 20-190 seconds seems like nothin'.

on the other hand, when I have my laptop at a basketball game and want to show a seminary student something in Logos and it takes 40 seconds to load, that is really annoying.  i'm soooo deprived.

Having the books on your books with you on the laptop or the iPad you don't have to worry about them being checked out of the library or only at the reserve desk with a two or three hour limit.

Posts 1798
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:50 PM

Dan DeVilder:

J. Kane:

Having your books with you on the laptop or the iPad you don't have to worry about them being checked out of the library or only at the reserve desk with a two or three hour limit.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 3:22 PM

I reinstalled Logos 4 at 4pm it is now 6:20 it is still preparing the library this is freaking crazy. 2+ hrs stuck on stage 1.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 4:03 PM

Randall Lind:

I reinstalled Logos 4 at 4pm it is now 6:20 it is still preparing the library this is freaking crazy. 2+ hrs stuck on stage 1.

Thats interesting. I loaded a netbook in about 20minutes and the prepare and the indexing were done in about another 20. Ofcourse I only have a little under 2k resources.

If you have more then the longer it will take...................

Posts 3644
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 4:12 PM

Dan DeVilder:

BillS:
I'd sure vote to go ahead & start it up & sync AFTER we can start using it. Don't delay us any more than it already does.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but I see the start up screen as a little button that allows us to open it up sooner if we like.  Also, I right click on the Logos icon and select "pause for 4 hours" if I need it.

Crying is okay, btw.  We all do it!  Wink

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response... I've seen the "Start Now" button in the splash screen & have tried it... does Logos miss something I'd care about if I do that?

And LOL on Crying   Blessings!

I'm still of the opinion that Sync needs to be streamlined... more in parallel with software open rather than in serial, prior to start. YMMV. :-)

Posts 3644
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 4:25 PM

FWIW, after closing L4, reopening my layout for OT studies took 1 minute 39 seconds. 19 resources and/or reports, 1 main window & 3 additional floating windows.

I'm pretty sure it's over 2 minutes on a 1st open.

It's slow enough that I ALWAYS open Logos WHILE working on something else so I'm not dead in the water for however long it takes.

Just for recreational purposes (I'm sure), though I've had it open all day, Logos decided to reindex after restarting just now. Though the NIV11 RI downloaded earlier today, AFAIK it already reindexed once... No clue why it's reindexing again. <sigh>

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 4:41 PM

Randall Lind:

Depends on resources in your Logos library and computer capabilities for indexing time.

For my Logos library, creating Bible and Library indexes takes 3.2 hours on a Windows 7 laptop with 2.0 GHz Quad Core i7-2630QM, but takes 10.5 hours on an iMac with 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7 (first generation); both computers have 7200 RPM drives.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2816
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 5:00 PM

Alan Charles Gielczyk:

I understand all the frustration BUT, we have all been pestering Logos for notes and highlighting on our mobile devices for almost two years now and we finally have it. That said it comes at a price, the syncing to keep every platform in line with each other takes time. There are trade offs for every feature we all want so I just want to speak up and say thank you Logos for putting up with all of us and still trying to make all our desired features a reality!

Actually, we. All have not been pestering Logos for notes and syncing.  I prefer not to take my notes in Logos, but other software.  I have been pestering Logos about Personal Books on my iPad.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 5:23 PM

Michael Childs:

Actually, we. All have not been pestering Logos for notes and syncing.  I prefer not to take my notes in Logos, but other software.  I have been pestering Logos about Personal Books on my iPad.

Ditto on the notes. I was getting many in the L4 so I started to use another source, after I deleted many that were imported from L3. Now I basically will put a note next to the verse or leading in the passage and make the referral to the out-sourced note(s) file. Found it to make for better record and file keeping. I think that it does have some bearing on the indexing and the notes file in general when loading.....

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:08 PM

I called Logos but didn't have 30 mins to wait for tech. I am re-installing and if I have issues I will try to call Logos again tomorrow. I did wait a bit but got disconnected.

I have 7.09GB of resources to download over 2000+ books

Page 3 of 7 (124 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS