Help Please: Can't do much in 4

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 230
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:01 PM

I have recently upgraded from gold to platinum. Software has loaded, upgrades and indexing complete. My problem is when I try to do something nothing happens. For example I open library, it shows I have 1356 resources, but when I click on a book, rarely one opens, usually nothing happens or the system crashes. Searches return nothing. Passage guide opens a few resources, but very few. Frequent system not responding messages, etc. 

I'm I doing something(s) wrong or is the Mac version just not ready? I know it's alpha, but was hoping to get some functionality.

Thanks, and God Bless

James

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:35 AM

JamesAlexander:
I'm I doing something(s) wrong or is the Mac version just not ready? I know it's alpha, but was hoping to get some functionality.

"Alpha" when it comes to software can vary as to what it means when it comes to functionality. It almost always means expect lots of crashes and unfinished functionality. In this case with release 3, it means very limited functionality and lots of crashes. Usually, software companies don't start to involve testers until the Beta versions are being released. So, we get in this case to watch for the fun of it the development of this software before most get to see it (outside of the developers) and maybe even speed up the development process by testing it and posting logs.

That said, I would not recommend anyone attempting to use Logos 4 Alpha (or any other software in Alpha for that matter) for anything they really need to depend on. You either need to use the old Mac 1.2.2 version or even better run Logos 4 Windows on Fusion/Parallels so that you can get all the benefits of version 4 now. If Logos 4 Alpha is your only Logos programme, you are seriously going to be constrained!

Posts 230
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:00 AM

Thanks, I knew an alpha version would be limited, but can I thought I would be able to at least open resources?

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:11 AM

JamesAlexander:
Thanks, I knew an alpha version would be limited, but can I thought I would be able to at least open resources?

It sort of does, if you are patient. I don't know why sometimes I can and sometimes it crashes. Here's a current screen shot.

Yesterday I had a layout with about six resources loaded, but haven't been able to get it loaded again since.

Posts 230
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:15 AM

I know what you mean. I just opened the ESV Bible, read chapter 8. When I went to chapter 9, the program stopped responding. Sometimes resources open, but most of the time they don't.

I do have the prior version. So, have great software to use as I try to remain patient and enjoy the Alpha RideYes

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS