A way to download different books on different PCs?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:04 PM

I use two different PCs. One for heavy study usage. One for casual usage. The casual usage machine is older and very short of storage space. Is there any way to limit the number of books on one of the PCs (turning off online sync won't work long term)? For instance the Perseus collection is great, but takes up a lot of space on my casual machine. I believe that the 'hide' function will impact all PCs with that user logon. 

I don't recall this question being asked before.

Posts 30060
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:42 PM

Danny - 

Sorry, but there is no easy way to do this. Every installation of Logos is intended to sync to the server each and every resource. If you remove a resource from one, it removes it from the other. [Mobile apps are different... every resource you own ALWAYS shows up there].

I am sure there would be a way, but not an easy one. This is especially true if you don't want turn off sync disabled.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 3:05 PM

Yeh, that's what I figured but thought I would ask around.

I may try to go into the library file and delete specific entries or creat null files. It may be smart enough to turn around and redownload them -- or it may just blow up the program. Won't hurt to try (I hope lol)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 3:08 PM

Danny Parker:
 I use two different PCs. One for heavy study usage. One for casual usage.

Resource licenses for your library are identical, however, different computers can have different subset(s) in Logos4 folder.  Forum discussion => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/38693/289484.aspx#289484 has steps for Logos 4 "Lite" so could hide and reduce casual usage library size.

Caveat: when resources are unhidden, they may download (again) to heavy study use computer.

Caution: with "Use Internet" set to Yes, Logos 4 does check for updates.  If "Automatically download updates" is set to No, a pop-up is displayed with resource size to download.  The pop-up can be dismissed without causing download, however, if click middle of pop-up instead of close, then download starts (can be canceled using Logos indexer icon).

Another option for casual usage is an iPad (choose which resources to download for offline use); refurbished iPad 2's dropped to $ 349 today => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad while the new iPad is available for pre-order.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:01 PM

Thanks. I guess I should have searcher better - a good thread. No really good solutions though, at least not without continual headaches with maintenance. It would seem that merely deleting the larger files from the Resource folder accomplishes about the same thing (can easily weed out only the larger files to make an impact by looking through a sorted folder). Because it is not easy to Hide resources either (at least if you are trying to delete a bunch) I might just delete the larger of the files that I don't need, with Autoresource update turned off.

I will have to decide about the potential tradeoffs.

Sure wish there were better library management tools - I now have over 10 Gig of resources and thousands of titles. The management services in L4 is actually inferior to L3 (at least as far as flexibility is concerned). One of the better solutions would be to have the capability to add a flash drive with the seldom used books on machines with insufficient hard drives. Then you could include them if/when needed. 

Overall the management of files (including note files, etc.) is a pretty important need that will only continue to increase in priority with time and more resources.

Posts 30060
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 4:02 AM

Danny Parker:
Overall the management of files (including note files, etc.) is a pretty important need that will only continue to increase in priority with time and more resources.

I don't disagree, but so will the necessity of having an updated computer. If buying a new machine is out of the question, what about a new hard drive?

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 9:09 AM

Without question today's technology drives the need for current equipment - a fact of life. However, in this case in point, my old PC is an I5 processor with 8 gig memory - a nice machine - it just lacks a large hard drive. I have no other software that demands 11 gig (the closest is a 3 gig encylopedia and even it has options to run on alternate drives). The idea that the average pastor must continually buy the lastest machine every year in order to run Bible software is a bit ambitious if the desire is to reach as many pastors as possible. (I know, a bit exaggerated and reactionary).

I am a loyal user since the very beginning - love the software - however I am concerned by the more recent tendencies of overlooking the realities of the average pastor. Logos has a real danger of looking so far ahead to whiz/bang features  that they overlook the value of stability/flexibility/simplicity. Even as a very technical oriented user, I mostly want a system that is very user friendly and just works to meet my needs in a cost effective manner.

Having said all this, Logos is a great tool. It's just at times they think more like technical people and less as real world people.

Posts 30060
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:43 AM

Danny Parker:
they overlook the value of stability/flexibility/simplicity

Like the old Sesame Street song, two of those things aren't like the other. Simplicity & Stability can go hand in hand. Flexibility has a tendency to make things less stable and more complicated. [I am not arguing against flexibility… just saying that there is a tension between these "values"]

Danny Parker:
It's just at times they think more like technical people and less as real world people.

I think that syncing of resources among devices is an eye towards "real world people" and less towards "technical" people. 

Danny Parker:
The idea that the average pastor must continually buy the lastest machine every year in order to run Bible software is a bit ambitious if the desire is to reach as many pastors as possible.

What has changed in the past year that this computer is inadequate? 

Danny Parker:
my old PC is an I5 processor with 8 gig memory - a nice machine - it just lacks a large hard drive.

Again, why haven't you considered getting a bigger hard drive? Do you know what kind you need? They are relatively cheap.

Danny Parker:
I have no other software that demands 11 gig

I have more music than 11 gig. Big Smile

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 12:40 PM

Don't disagree about the 'tension'. I also do not intend to communicate that Logos is a 'bad' company or product - been with it since CDWord - great software. For example, syncing is truly inovative and real world useful (at least when my large highlight files will finally be able to sync - soon I hope). However, when frustrations do occur it is as often as not in these realms (and it might be a serious inhibitor to not technical pastors at times). Perhaps the answer is often to upgrade, or perhaps there might be other solutions as well. Perhaps it just seems sometimes like design is not always thought through leading to performance or other issues. Without doubt software feels different now as a user rather than a developer. For sure it is a tough job. Logos mostly gets it right, but not always and they need feedback when they don't Geeked.

Yes, Itunes is also a very large resource user.Smile Perhaps Perseus is the major cause of taking things to the brink in the recent timeframe - always fought storage on that machine. I was looking to not spend any more money on old technology (CPU was Intel dual core not I5 by the way). For a Mac user $100 is not muchWink, but for PC it is 1/5 of a good new machine. Rather spend it on Logos books Big Smile if I can. 

Anyway, I have already made more of a deal about this than it probably deserves.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS