Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 20 2012 2:47 PM

Our mission is to build the best tools for Bible study.

Today, those tools are Logos 4 for your Mac or PC, the Logos app for the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, and Biblia.com on the web. We are devoting more resources to making these tools even better—and developing new tools for the future.

Deciding what projects to do means also deciding what projects not to do. As we announced at the beginning of the year, we will stop creating Libronix resources on March 31, 2012. We want to be efficient in our use of resources; building new products for the old platform takes time and money we’d rather put into forward-looking development.

Effective March 31, 2012, we still stop creating Libronix resources. We won’t disable Libronix / Logos 3, and we’re not retroactively removing anything. The books you own today will continue to work in Libronix. There will still be support help available on Logos.com, and you can also visit the Logos forums anytime for help. 

However, newly-created resources shipped after March 31, 2012 will only work in Logos 4.

By moving to Logos 4, you will not lose any books you own. You can access your books and content in Logos 4 on your Mac or PC, on the iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets, and on the web at Biblia.com.

Visit http://www.logos.com/4ways to see your options for moving from Libronix to Logos 4.

Thanks for being a Logos customer. We look forward to continuing to serve you in the years to come.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 2:56 PM

Kent,

Thanks for the FYI.

If I may be so bold, the only real question I have at the moment is:

Should I come across a book that I have in L3 but not in L4 how would I go about getting information on whether it will be re-compiled, or not?

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:05 PM

Room4more:

Should I come across a book that I have in L3 but not in L4 how would I go about getting information on whether it will be re-compiled, or not?

With a handful of exceptions, all books created up to March 31, 2012 work in both Libronix and in Logos 4. So the books you're using right now in Libronix you can also use in Logos 4. (Most of our books can be used on the iPhone, iPad, and Android apps, as well as Biblia.com.) After March 31, 2012, new resources will work only in Logos 4.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 3:10 PM

Kent Hendricks:

With a handful of exceptions, all books created up to March 31, 2012 work in both Libronix and in Logos 4. So the books you're using right now in Libronix you can also use in Logos 4. (Most of our books can be used on the iPhone, iPad, and Android apps, as well as Biblia.com.) After March 31, 2012, new resources will work only in Logos 4.

Thanks, So I will take it that if I have one or two, then they fit the exception catagory----Thanks.

Posts 1
Ed Schultz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 6:10 PM

I have Libronix 3 expanded package and several add ons. I have recently downloaded the free engine version of Logos 4, however many of the books in my library do not appear in Logos 4 and are not accesible; for example the exegetical guide. Access to the Greek and Hebrew dictionaries, lexicons and concordances. Vines expository dictionary, tense, mood and voice. I have contacted someone in the sales department and they said that the only way to access these books is to upgrade to a base package. (Scholars) However in reading your article I am under the impression that  ALL of my Libronix books will transfer and work in Logos 4.

Ed

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:19 PM

Ed Schultz:

I have Libronix 3 expanded package and several add ons. I have recently downloaded the free engine version of Logos 4, however many of the books in my library do not appear in Logos 4 and are not accesible; for example the exegetical guide. Access to the Greek and Hebrew dictionaries, lexicons and concordances. Vines expository dictionary, tense, mood and voice. I have contacted someone in the sales department and they said that the only way to access these books is to upgrade to a base package. (Scholars) However in reading your article I am under the impression that  ALL of my Libronix books will transfer and work in Logos 4.

Ed

Welcome Big Smile

Known item: Libronix 3 PBB resources do not transfer to Logos 4; have to be rebuilt using Personal Book tool; wiki has => Personal Books

Apologies: appears all my non-PBB Libronix 3 resources are available for me to use in Logos 4.  In fact, Logos 4 scans my Libronix installation for unlocked resources, and copies them to my Logos4 folder.  Thankful can use Libronix 3 and Logos 4 at the same time.

Kent Hendricks:
Visit http://www.logos.com/4ways to see your options for moving from Libronix to Logos 4.

The 4 ways page includes link to Minimal Crossgrade since many resources were added/reformated for use in Logos 4: primarily Reverse Interlinear resources, Biblical People, Biblical Places, Biblical Things, Lectionaries, and Timelines.

Wonder if Logos 4 indexing is complete ? wiki has Getting Started with Logos => Installation + Indexing  Logos 4 Exegetical Guide uses indexes (lacks a lot until indexing is complete)

In your Logos 4 library, wonder how many resources appear for type:lexicon ?

If using stable Logos 4 release, other option is contacting Logos Technical Support => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:50 AM

Room4more:

Thanks, So I will take it that if I have one or two, then they fit the exception catagory----Thanks.

Which books are you referring to?

Posts 153
Pedro Rodriguez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2012 12:06 PM

Thank you Kent for the reminder and for the reasonable explanation.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2012 12:28 PM

Kent Hendricks:

Room4more:

Sorry, I just read your post. Goodness Kent. its been so long ago I had them wrote down once after checking the resources against a printout of L3…..I would have to go back and check. But I do not think that they were that important to remember – or I would have..hehehe….but I will look at it again…..[instead of list checking - is there a quicker way?]

Posts 11
Brett Austin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 4:23 AM

Kent Hendricks:
newly-created resources shipped after March 31, 2012 will only work in Logos 4.

After March 31, will I still be able to buy resources for Libronix? As in, will everything available for purchase for Libronix now, still be available?

I will only have to upgrade to Logos 4 if I want to buy new resources that have not yet been released, right?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 4:49 AM

Brett Austin:

After March 31, will I still be able to buy resources for Libronix? As in, will everything available for purchase for Libronix now, still be available?

Welcome Big Smile

Hopefully yes since Logos is "not retroactively removing anything" => http://blog.logos.com/2012/01/new-resources-for-logos-3/

Brett Austin:
I will only have to upgrade to Logos 4 if I want to buy new resources that have not yet been released, right?

True, plus free => Dictionary of Latin Forms is Logos 4 only, see thread => Free Download: Dictionary of Latin Forms  Also, free Perseus collections => http://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus are only available for Logos 4 => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/43847/328759.aspx#328759

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8344
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:00 AM

As with most Logos communications, the key questions are not answered (no offense to Kent; he's a good guy).

But last winter, when they 'made the decision' (forgetting to announce it), they took the scripts that deliver the license off the Logos.com site. The work around was to download the volume from the ftp site and then sync the licenses on the internet. In some cases (maybe unrelated), that didn't work.

So, who knows. Maybe someone will try buying something next Monday.

Absent a couple pre-pubs that look many-moons away, my credit card is looking nice and clean-ish and my spouse is now happily speaking to me again.

Posts 1
John R. Hammond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:08 AM

I have Logos 3 loaded on my computer. Please e-mail information on how I can upgrade my current software to Logos 4.

Rev. John Hammond 

Posts 8302
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:12 AM

No need for email, just go to  http://www.logos.com/4ways , pick your way to go (e.g. buy Minimal Crossgrade or not) and download the free installer 

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 7:59 AM

John R. Hammond:

I have Logos 3 loaded on my computer. Please e-mail information on how I can upgrade my current software to Logos 4.

Rev. John Hammond 

Welcome Big Smile

Wiki Getting Started with Logos has => Installation + Indexing

Wiki page => Getting Started with Logos has many Tips and links for learning and using Logos 4.

Libronix 3 is installed once for all users on a computer while Logos 4 is installed for each user so Libronix 3 and Logos 4 can peacefully coexist.  By default, Logos 4 scans resources in Libronix 3, then copies the ones that have not been updated into your Logos 4 folder along with downloading updated resources.

Logos 4 new features need new resources for their use; may want to consider minimal crossgrade => http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
Mark Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:35 AM

Not really an issue for me, since I've decided not to purchase any new resources in Logos until the Notes in version 4 is fixed.  The current state of 4 is unusable for my purposes.

Posts 17600
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:51 AM

Hi Mark - and welcome to the forums

Mark Ward:
Not really an issue for me, since I've decided not to purchase any new resources in Logos until the Notes in version 4 is fixed.  The current state of 4 is unusable for my purposes.

What version of L4 are you using? There was a lot of changes to notes in 4.5

What specific things make L4 unusable for you?

Graham

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:48 AM

Room4more:

Kent Hendricks:

Room4more:

Sorry, I just read your post. Goodness Kent. its been so long ago I had them wrote down once after checking the resources against a printout of L3…..I would have to go back and check. But I do not think that they were that important to remember – or I would have..hehehe….but I will look at it again…..[instead of list checking - is there a quicker way?]

I got tired of checking by the list so I did the scan thing. Apparently everything seems to be there, provided the scanner worked properly.....

Posts 2
Mark Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:53 AM

Graham,

While there are a number of things that bug me, the two most significant issues are the lack of a contens/index view - making custom sorting difficult if not impossible, and the fact the when reading/editing notes which are longer than will fit in a window, the title will scoll out of view, making it easy to lose your place.  I have dozens of notes files each filled with many entries (50 or more).  I often need to search/compare/edit several simulataneously.  This was not difficult in 3, but all but impossible in 4.  Notes in 3 also has superior embedded linking capabilities, allowing you to set up a notes file as a "powerpoint" type slideshow for group Bible studies.

Mark

Posts 17600
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2012 8:32 AM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the clarification.

You may want to add your votes to the suggestion to enhance notes functionality at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/1619077-rework-notes-function-in-one-or-multiple-phases

You will see that many people are looking for enhanced notes functionality - certainly some of the things you are looking for are included in that suggestion.

Graham

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.