Highlighting storage

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:37 AM
How is everyone storing your highlights? Are you using book or study specific note files, or the universal note files that Logos created? Or both?

Posts 29460
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:55 AM

Terry Poperszky:
How is everyone storing your highlights? Are you using book or study specific note files, or the universal note files that Logos created? Or both?

Personally, I view most highlighting as intrinsically tied to the resource itself, so I create a resource specific note file whenever I highlight. This could turn into a boondoggle, but I am hopeful that Logos will improve file management in the not-too-distant future. In my opinion, the default should be for highlights to go into a resource-specific note file, which is hidden by default, but can be retrieved easily enough when needed.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:53 AM

Terry Poperszky:
How is everyone storing your highlights?

Mostly, I just let them go into the default—palette specific file. However, I recently created a special palette and note file for Discourse Grammar while I study that subject in a handful of Logos resources.

Here I have arranged the individual notes in a semi-outline. I also change the title to a meaningful summary of the highlighted text. Then I paste the highlighted text into the note content. When I add my own comments, I affix a note indicator. (The purple icons are manually created as heading markers which are taken from the primary resource).

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 12:58 PM

I changed.

I started with a simple - default file - approach. Had (still have) serious problems with a large highlight/note file and that was with primarily the highlights being only in Bible reading. (Should have known based on large note file problems previously.)

I now have adopted the' by resource' (book) approach. Where I have a number of resources of similar type and don't expect radical highlighting (for instance NT Introduction books) I am combining these in a single file to keep the number of files reduced. I fully expect the number of highlight files to get unmanageable at some point, but hope that Logos provides a better mechanism to manage them by then. I figure it is better to solve the problem I have in the present and worry about the future problem when I get to it.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 1:10 PM

I'm using resource specific note files to store highlights in. I was previously sending everything to the default palette file, but thankfully caught it early enough that it wasn't too much work to split them out into separate files.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2012 3:38 PM

I have been using the default files, but I think I am going to try resource specific files. I mainly do book studies, and it make sense to store notes and highlights for a specific book in a file for that book alone. My only thoughts are are if in studying a book, I run across something in another book that I want to highlight. My thoughts are I will just start a specific note file for that book at that time.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS