What to buy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:45 AM

Can you all help?  Assume you have $100, you don't have the majority of the books available in the March Madness sales, and you are in seminary.  Which books would you get?

Thanks

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:56 AM

Carson/Moo's NT Intro ~$12

Longman's OT Intro ~$20

Waltke's OT Theology ~$25

Thielman or Ladd's NT Theology ~$25

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee/Stuart ($9) or Intro to Hermeneutics by Kaiser/Silva for ~$15

The Promise-Plan of God by Kaiser for $15

Total around $110

None of these AFAIK are in the base packages, and all are solid works.  I added the OT/NT theologies especially because I have a decent number of systematic theologies but few/no biblical theologies, other than Zuck/Walvoord's Theology of the OT/Theology of the NT, which are included in at least some of the base packages.

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:07 AM

I bought Zondervan products since they don't usually go on sale.

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee/Stuart ($9)

The Promise-Plan of God by Kaiser for $15 [this is a biblical theology]

Second Peter/Jude by Moo  ($14.29)

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:09 AM

Justin Cofer:

I bought Zondervan products since they don't usually go on sale.

This is a good point.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:23 AM

I'd get the two Wright Christian Origins books as part of it if you are in seminary, especially the New Testament and the People of God. But then I'm a Wright fan and really had to hold back on the "buy all" button!

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 11841
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:48 AM

Daniel Lee:

Longman's OT Intro ~$20

Waltke's OT Theology ~$25

Thielman or Ladd's NT Theology ~$25

How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee/Stuart ($9) or Intro to Hermeneutics by Kaiser/Silva for ~$15

The Promise-Plan of God by Kaiser for $15

Total around $110

None of these AFAIK are in the base packages, and all are solid works.  I added the OT/NT theologies especially because I have a decent number of systematic theologies but few/no biblical theologies, other than Zuck/Walvoord's Theology of the OT/Theology of the NT, which are included in at least some of the base packages.

Yes

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 12:01 PM

If you can know what you will need for your classes ...

I needed the Carson/Moo Introduction to the New Testament for a class (it's good regardless and I still use it).

Depending on the seminary and your degree program you may have classes in which studying Wright would be advised. I would pick up the Paul:Fresh Perspectives, at least. The NT and the People of God and Jesus and the Victory of God could be useful. These could be a library item, and if so, you could spend the money on something you will reference often.

I would look at commentaries, as you will use these not just through seminary but throughout your ministry. I picked up some of the Socio-Rhetorical titles. Too bad Witherington didn't make it farther for these to be discounted more. 

While I like the "How to Read the Bible" books, I doubt you would need them for seminary. Maybe an introductory hermeneutics class would require them.

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:41 PM

Johann:
While I like the "How to Read the Bible" books, I doubt you would need them for seminary.

Actually, they were required reading in my program… they were the easier of the textbooks, but still required and used.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS