Tax Deduction

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 2:48 PM

Rev Chris:

Also you have to inform your ordination board of the theological stance you are making.

That goes without saying Chris since part of the documentation you must supply to the IRS with the application for exemption is a letter from the board of your church verifying that you are indeed employed by them as a full-time minister of the Gospel. I also had to supply a copy of the church bylaws.

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 2:56 PM

Bob Schlessman:

Rev Chris:

Also you have to inform your ordination board of the theological stance you are making.

That goes without saying Chris since part of the documentation you must supply to the IRS with the application for exemption is a letter from the board of your church verifying that you are indeed employed by them as a full-time minister of the Gospel. I also had to supply a copy of the church bylaws.

Yes, except that in denominations that are not congregational-based (such as the United Methodist Church), there is a denominational board of ordination separate from the local church where you are serving.  I know several clergy that would have filed for the exemption if it was just a matter of telling their local church what their theological stance was.  But since it goes to the denomination, the stakes are a bit higher and made it not worth it.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:14 PM

alabama24:
& Arizona.

Care to link to something that could fill me in on what I clearly missed?

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:24 PM

smithereens:
Care to link to something that could fill me in on what I clearly missed?

Sure. Smile Logos opened a new office near Phoenix:

http://blog.logos.com/2011/12/logos-opens-phoenix-development-office/

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 2:21 PM

Rev Chris:

Yes, except that in denominations that are not congregational-based (such as the United Methodist Church), there is a denominational board of ordination separate from the local church where you are serving.  I know several clergy that would have filed for the exemption if it was just a matter of telling their local church what their theological stance was.  But since it goes to the denomination, the stakes are a bit higher and made it not worth it.

I guess I am not sure what you mean by "the stakes are a bit higher and made it not worth it", Chris.  Why would having to send the notification the the district denominational board of ordination be an issue? Does the Methodist Church frown on their pastors taking the exemption? Is there something in their bylaws that prohibits the exemption? Or is it just the hassle of the paperwork because the hassle is there no matter what the denomination. When the dollar amount might run into tens of thousands depending on how long one preaches after receiving the exemption, I can't see that it would not be worth it. I realize we have drifted off topic somewhat but I was just curious.

I apologize for the belated response. I have been quite busy the past week and haven't been on the forums.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 2:32 PM

No problem.  It is certainly a theological issue.  We don't have stated policies on the issue, but we do have non-negotiables such as the Christian duty to serve the poor, and to care for the wellfare of all people.  Since the opposition to the tax can't be based on whether the current system is an effective one, but rather whether the idea of a welfare system is theologically appropriate, it creates a conflict.  And since the denominational board determines ordination which in turn determines whether you will be able to serve as a pastor in any United Methodist Church, the stakes are much higher than in a congregational system where the pastor can always look for a different church to serve that agrees with their theology.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS