Community Notes reaction per group membership

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:39 AM | Locked

JFYI: I tested the Community Notes pane behaviour and found that only real Members (as opposed to Followers and Observers) can see the Community Notes or reference new notes to this group. This even holds true for self-written notes of former group members. That's good (maybe the decision to leave a group or change association to sub-Member level could in the future be accompanied with an information that one no longer will be able to access the group's CNotes, even self-written ones. Access to Faithlife postings is a different and group-settings specific matter, I know)

While L4 Beta 6 claims that there are "No notes" in verses where Cnotes exist that belong to other groups one is not associated with, (and real Members of course can see the CNotes,) the pane is blank without such text for Observers and Followers, thus indicating that the verse will have a note from one of the groups where one is a Follower or Observer. I don't know whether this is workinhg as designed or there's just a small bug somewhere, at least it seems consistent to the behavior in biblia.com: "No notes" versus blank area for Followers. I'm fine with that.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2012 3:47 AM | Locked

Update: the situation is persisting in Beta 7.

The screenshot shows a Note Indicator in Mt 2:15 which is in group "Biblical Theology". I am currently a Follower of the group, not a real Member -> the CNote pane is empty.  

Imho, when the access concept says that Followers shouldn't be able to read the CNotes, then it's advisable to either not give the Note Indicator or make a text in the blank field like "Note content visible only for members"

Posts 9146
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:42 AM | Locked

Thanks for reporting this. It sounds like a bug; we'll look into to.

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:53 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

It sounds like a bug; we'll look into to.

Thanks Bradley, much appreciated. 

btw: The behaviour is repeatable in Biblia as well today.

This and the "end of the party" (the solved "bouncing edit box"-bug) brings me to the question, just for curiosity: do we really see a Community Notes pane or is this just a frame in L4 where you invoke a browser window that fetches the CNotes from the server, like biblia? (so Beta 8 could - from a technical point of view, unrelated to whether this makes sense - as well bring a full-functional wrowser window as other bible software have)

Posts 9146
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2012 6:30 PM | Locked

It is a web browser frame, displaying community notes live from faithlife.com.

(Libronix users will be happy to know that it is not IE.)

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:58 PM | Locked

Thanks for the info!

Posts 9146
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:58 AM | Locked

This bug has been fixed; you should now see notes posted to groups for which you are a follower or observer.

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 1:09 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

This bug has been fixed; you should now see notes posted to groups for which you are a follower or observer.

Yes: I can see notes posted to a group where I am a follower. Thank you for fixing this!

Edit: on RC 2, build 4.52.0.2176

Posts 688
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2012 8:11 PM | Locked

How dis you get the community notes above the regular notes? Also I can add not to myfaithlife, but when I add a community note that I have created it does not work. 

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2012 11:53 PM | Locked

Robert Peters:
How dis you get the community notes above the regular notes?

Sorry, I don't understand. Menu: Tools/Community Notes or context menu: rightclick - Add Community Note automatically opens them in a pane to the right (where the infomation and power lookup would be displayed also), I didn't do anything specific and I didn't have regular notes open back then.

Robert Peters:
Also I can add not to myfaithlife, but when I add a community note that I have created it does not work. 

I think we had this in another thread - can you be more specific on what exactly you are doing that doesn't work? Maybe it helps if you include another couple of screenshots that show where you are and what you do.

Which Faithlife groups you are member of? For testing, it may help if you joined Faithlife Beta, since most that test it and try to help others will be members as well and thus be able to see what works.

When the Community Notes pane is open make sure its topline points to the right reference (such as John 3:16), then select the group you want to be able to read the Note (such as Faithlife Beta if you were a member of this group). Type the note and hit "post". Usually it works, sometimes I've seen an error "could not create post" which I attributed to a server glitch and just tried again. 

Posts 688
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:23 AM | Locked

How do you join faithlife groups?

Posts 12062
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2012 2:31 AM | Locked

Robert Peters:

How do you join faithlife groups?

I see you joined Faithlife Beta just recently - welcome! Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS