External Drive Installations

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10
candice | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 2:52 PM

Ok, my really good Toshiba died and I bought a cheap compaq for $200 at walmart.  I only have 159mg free so I don't think I can even begin to reinstall the platinum on this computer. Plus I have lots of other good stuff. I read the other helps in forum, but got lost. I have a window  7 home edition.  Now would someone please consdier just sending me baby steps  on how to install. I have a platinum logos, but still have loads to download.  I have just avoided this so long because it takes me forever to get logos up, but I'm teaching Bible Studies and really miss it.  Thank you so much.  Also if you have a recommendation on an external drive to purchase I would really appreciate that.  I read some ideas that talk about work arounds, but I didn't even understand the basic so work arounds would not be good for me.  i was going to wait for the grandkids to come from China to fix this problem but they won't be here for another 3 months.  Thank you to whatever good sole who helps.  there may be others with the same problem.

Posts 27557
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 3:08 PM

Candice - 

I am not a techie, nor am I a windows user, so I can't give you step by step instructions. There is, however, a good wiki article, which you can read HERE.

candice:
Also if you have a recommendation on an external drive to purchase I would really appreciate that.

What sort of ports do you have? You should look that up first. It would stink to buy a HD, only to find out it won't connect to your computer. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 3:31 PM

candice:

compaq for $200 at walmart....159mg free so I don't think I can even begin to reinstall the platinum on this computer. Plus I have lots of other good stuff. I read the other helps in forum, but got lost. I have a window  7 home edition.  Now would someone please consdier just sending me baby steps  on how to install. I have a platinum logos, but still have loads to download.  I have just avoided this so long because it takes me forever to get logos up, but I'm teaching Bible Studies and really miss it.  Thank you so much.  Also if you have a recommendation on an external drive to purchase I would really appreciate that.  I read some ideas that talk about work arounds, but I didn't even understand the basic so work arounds would not be good for me.  i was going to wait for the grandkids to come from China to fix this problem but they won't be here for another 3 months.  Thank you to whatever good sole who helps.  there may be others with the same problem.

Walmart? Compaq?,ok

External Hdd, simple. you want one that has a USB connection. If you had a digital camera that would connect to the Toshiba then that would be USB. Most ext Hdd come with the cable for it, and the casing as well. Two type ATA and SATA, either type will work as an external. Recommend at the leaast 250gig or better. Since you will probably load your platinum resources onto it, which needs at least 12gig :

Pentium 4 1 GHz

• 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7)
  • Windows XP SP3
  • DVD drive
  • 12 GB hard drive space
  • 1024X600 Display
  • 256 MB DirectX 9 graphics device
  • Internet connection required for activation
  • So installation will need to be done as 'custom' so that the working files will be loaded correctly, but that is secondary  - you need the space first.

You say 159mg, do you mean 159gig instead? If you are running Win7 on the compaq I think gig is correct - please verify.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 10123
    Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 3:43 PM

Candice ... I did what Alabama recommended. I was surprised how simple it is. I run Logos4 off another diskdrive.

First, I got the other diskdrive (in my case an SSD drive but that's not significant).

Then I installed the diskdrive (typically by just plugging it in).

Then I downloaded the Logos4 software, just like the WIKI said for me to do.

Then I clicked on the Logos4 to begin installing it.

And finally, at the point the WIKI said, I changed the install location to the new diskdrive.

To be quite honest, I've not thought about it since, it was that straight-forward.

Maybe look at the WIKI article and ask questions?

Posts 27557
    Forum MVP
    JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:04 PM

DMB:
    First, I got the other diskdrive (in my case an SSD drive but that's not significant).

Candice - 

DMB is telling you that she chose an SSD hard drive. It isn't necessary to do so, and they are more expensive, but they will provide you with the best experience. They are "solid state" and have no moving parts, and have faster speeds. On the Mac, there are many connector types, including USB & ethernet. You will want to find out what ports you have and use the fastest one. Since it is a "cheap" computer, your only choice may be USB and thats ok (but not best). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
    Forum MVP
    Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:36 PM

candice:
    Ok, my really good Toshiba died and I bought a cheap compaq for $200 at walmart.

Curious about Compaq model ? (so can look up computer hardware specifications)

Note: looking at walmart online, least expensive Compaq desktop is $ 298 (model CQ-2713w) while least expensive laptop is $ 299.98 (model CQ57-439WM)

By the way, the least expensive laptop (CQ57-439WM) has a slow processor for Logos 4 use, which is usable albeit slow: e.g. initial indexing of a Platinum library will take many hours, perhaps day(s), to complete.

candice:
    I only have 159mg free so I don't think I can even begin to reinstall the platinum on this computer.

Apologies: the abbreviation mg is typically not used for hard drive sizes.  Note: mg is a common abbreviation for milli-gram.

Likewise wonder if disk space free is 159 MB or 159 GB ?

Note: MB means MegaBytes while GB means GigaBytes.  Mega is a prefix meaning millions while Giga is a prefix meaning billions.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10
    candice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:36 AM

thanks so much.  Yes it is 159GB not mg.

I know it will be slow, but for now, it is what it is.

Posts 10
    candice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:37 AM

Thanks, it is 150gb

I'll get a drive.  I have one for all my pictures and bernina embroidery.

thanks again

Posts 1649
    Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:47 AM

candice:

Thanks for clarifying, You would be okay running it, it would seem a little choppy and maybe slow, but it would still work…

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 15805
    Forum MVP
    Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:26 PM

candice:

Understand "it is what it is."

Looking at Logos 4 => System Requirements noticed Scholar's Platinum has 7.28 GB of resource files so 159 GB of free space should be plenty for Logos 4 installation and indexing; estimating Logos 4 would use ~ 11 GB (leaving 148 GB free).

Also may want to consider installing Libronix 3.0g (with patch for Internet Explorer 9), which can peacefully coexist with Logos 4 on the same computer (would use ~ 8 GB of disk space).  Logos has Libronix 3 support pages => http://www.logos.com/support/windows/L3/L3_Support  Caveat: Logos is no longer producing resources for Libronix, but existing resources are still available for use, which includes Scholar's Platinum.

Logos created Logos 3/Libronix forum for Libronix 3 discussions while Logos 4 Windows threads focus on Logos 4 on Windows.  This General forum attracts a variety of thread topics.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS