Personal books backup

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 40
Zach Broom | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:33 PM

I have hundreds of personal books that I have been building (including articles I find useful, etc.)

However, I have them backed up in their .docx format, but does that mean that if my PC needs recovery or complete wipe that I will have to go through all the hours of readding them? 

It would be very convenient to have a way to export your personal books into a big file that could be uploaded into logos. 

Thanks

Posts 2963
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:36 PM

For me the best tool for this is the dropbox,

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2704
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2012 11:44 PM

Zach Broom:
does that mean that if my PC needs recovery or complete wipe that I will have to go through all the hours of readding them

Depends on your backup but maybe not: see - http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 12:04 AM

DominicM:

Zach Broom:
does that mean that if my PC needs recovery or complete wipe that I will have to go through all the hours of readding them

Depends on your backup but maybe not: see - http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Which of these methods will back up and restore compiled PBs? Has anyone tried it? And does it also back up all the metadata you've entered about them?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 4:21 AM

I am not in a position to verify this again at the moment, but I am almost positive what I have done is copy 1 or more compiled resource files, those ending in extension .lbspbb, to the new folder's Resource folder (in ResourceManager\Resources) and then did "Rebuild Personal Book index" in command box. This presumes the metadata for your personal books is already on the computer, which it would be if you reinstalled Logos and then had it successfully sync.

You may test this simply by building a personal book on another computer (if you have Logos on 2 computers), let it sync, bring up Logos on the 2nd computer, copy the new .lbspbb file onto that Resources folder, and then rebuild the index. Open the Personal books list and open it. If it works ,the resource will open. If it does not, you will get a message something like "You do not own this resource but you could...."

Posts 40
Zach Broom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 4:32 AM

Really would be a great feature for Logos to have it let us export our personal library's into a zip or something for import/export. 

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 6:52 AM

Personally, I am a little confused. Mainly from the usage of the word “back-up” and it’s current way of being used here. L4 allows for multiple computer usage, provided of course they are for your personal usage, so the wiki link provides methods for installing as such, also providing a way to minimize the download process of your personal resources, as opposed to the routine that is used get them from the ftp in the event you choose the long and lengthy method.

Once you copy the named files[folders] to a flash/external drive – you have thus created your own ‘back-up’. You can overwrite these same said folders everytime you purchase new resources; or as one may deem necessary, to create your own personal ‘back-up’ in the event your system crashes….now this is directly related to L4 and not L3.

L3 works different, the same process will work but the folders are located differently. That’s why the two platforms can co-exist and run simultaneously. This must be understood in order to apply the ‘back-up’ for both platforms.

I won’t go into too much detail, but having first hand conversation w/HQ techy – Logos does NOT archive your PB’s, but since that conversation it may have changed, but have not been told otherwise yet. You can search your respective system to find the location of the Pb and copy that location to the flash/external drive and I would keep the docx’s on it as well.

Having said thus, Dominick, I wonder if it would work for the L3 Pbb's, I think that they use the same extension. I will check...

Hope this helps in the original OP.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:07 AM

Zach,

Tes's method works pretty good for saving the docx files. But would require you to recompile each PB in the event of the need to restore a computer. If you have more than 2Gig of data for your docx files, then in DropBox you will need to pay a fee to use it.

Dom's method (method #2) provides a full backup. Providing that you have recently backed up to an external drive per the instructions. This method works very well, i have used it a few times, but you will need to pay close attention to the steps. Particularly bullets 2 & 4 in step #2.

Rosie,

Method 2 will restore everything for your PB, providing that you have an up to date backup after compiling your last PB. You will not need to recompile or Index. Method 3 will require reIndexing of your PBs.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 23
Clacir Virmes Junior | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:24 AM

Let me get this straight: once I compile a PB, the L5 file won't go to Logos servers as backups. So, when I install L5 in a new computer, I will have to recompile all my PB's?

Clacir Virmes Junior

Posts 6588
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:41 AM

Clacir Virmes Junior:

Let me get this straight: once I compile a PB, the L5 file won't go to Logos servers as backups. So, when I install L5 in a new computer, I will have to recompile all my PB's?

Yes. Logos is working on a feature that will allow you to sync your PB from one computer to another via their server. Similar to your notes, bookmarks etc..

Lynden Williams Commu

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:52 AM

Clacir Virmes Junior:

That's correct. All the information about the PBs (title, description, cover, etc.) will go to the servers, but you'll need to rebuild all the PBs themselves. You can:

• Back up the compiled files then SCAN them into the new installation.
  • Or wait for Logos to implement PB sync.
Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 21 2014 8:58 PM

Clacir Virmes Junior:
So, when I install L5 in a new computer, I will have to recompile all my PB's?

The other guys answered well, but perhaps a little confusing as a direct answer to this specific question. The answer is NO. You don't HAVE to recompile... But YES, the compiled file doesn't sync. If you don't want to recompile, you can copy over the already compiled files and scan them in, as Mark suggested. See this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/42036/313207.aspx#313207 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS