Scholarship in ISBE vs ZEB

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 28 2012 2:50 PM

I've read a lot of reviews of these two resources (the ISBE dictionary and the new Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible) and yet I still have one question:

Which of these two resources would you recommend for the best level of scholarship?  I am aware that both resources tend to the conservative evangelical perspective.  I also have read that while the ZEB was recently "revised" within the last few years and the ISBE dates back to 1995, many of the ZEB articles were not revised post-2000 but are actually the same articles as published 30+ years ago. 

Since the ZEB is priced significantly higher than the ISBE, I'm just wanting to know whether the articles are more scholarly and up-to-date than the ISBE or if it simply has nicer photos and graphics.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 3:44 PM

While I do not have access to the ZEB, i have seen several of the articles and they appear for the most part to be identical to the old ZPEB, I do believe numerous additional colour photos were added but from my experience with ISBE and ZPEB I can say ISBE wins hands down.

-dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:08 PM

I like both. But if I have to choose one over the other, I would agree with Dan the ISBE wins out. I like Zondervan's for the pictures Big Smile and have noticed a lot of the content is the same as the original Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible. The newer Zondervan title seems to be an expansion on the first title.

I am a visually oriented learner so I have to have both.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:27 PM

I too prefer ISBE, and both resources are very conservative (IMHO).  I would also add YABD.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:40 PM

tom collinge:

I too prefer ISBE, and both resources are very conservative (IMHO).  I would also add YABD.

If it's scholarship you want, I would choose the AYDB over either one.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 6:56 PM

I am unfamiliar with ZEB, but I appreciate both ISBE and AYBD (I recommend both) as with a the IVP OT (partial) and NT (complete) Dictionaries.

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 28 2012 10:21 PM

George Somsel:

tom collinge:

If it's scholarship you want, I would choose the AYDB over either one.

All of these resources offer great scholarship.

I'll throw in my vote for ISBE.

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 29 2012 12:00 PM

I actually just purchased ZEB on friday. Prior to my purchase I already owned ABD and ISBE and would agree with most here that they do a great job complimenting each other. After my purchase I spent some time scrolling through ZEB and decided to call customer services and return it. It was good but Im pretty content with ABD and ISBE. 

WIth that said I would put another vote in for ISBE as the better of the two.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS