Logos 4 on old laptop.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Paul A. Wright | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:36 AM

I have a Thinkpad T21 and it has limited memory built-in.  I have a 60GB USB drive attached which is recognized by the computer as the D: drive.  How can I best organize the files for Logos 4 so that I will have the best efficiency, i.e., where is indexing information best stored? Hard drive startup or external? Same for resources?, etc.

Paul A Wright

Posts 592
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:45 AM

The drive where you install L4 is where your indexing file will be stored. depending on how big your library is will determine where you install it. The indexing file needs almost the same space as your resources take up. But remember indexing needs room to build it's index and if your short on room it will crash the indexing which is frustrating if it has been indexing for a long time.

The more memory the faster the indexing will be, by the way  you didn't say how much memory you have or how big you hard drive is.

Posts 5
Paul A. Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:54 AM

Have a 20GB hard drive in laptop. Have 60GB external USB. If I should move files so the app will work more efficiently, which to move to larger drive and which need to stay on internal drive? Does it make any difference in regard to speed?

The max RAM memory is 512 MB!

Paul

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 7:35 AM

PaulWright:

Have a 20GB hard drive in laptop. Have 60GB external USB. If I should move files so the app will work more efficiently, which to move to larger drive and which need to stay on internal drive? Does it make any difference in regard to speed?

Paul

I don't believe a 20G hard drive is going to be sufficient for some L4 libraries.  You will have to use the USB drive I think unless you can swap hard drives for a larger one.

I believe it would be faster from the hard driver -vs- the usb drive.  The "bottleneck" at the USB port is smaller than the bottleneck at the drive controller on your laptop.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:55 AM

It may be the greater problem will be the limitation on RAM. 512 MB sounded like a lot back in the days that machine was created, but I expect the L4 assumes much more will be available.

Posts 27469
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:10 PM

PaulWright:

This is not a good combination for a satisfactory result. Basically, L4 requires at least 10GB hard drive space and you need room for the OS (what?) + applications. Basically you have a completely full built-in HDD! The RAM is inadequate even for L3! and the USB may not even be the fast USB 2!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS