Help understanding discrepencies in word frequencies

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 29 2012 11:52 AM

I'm studying proverbs right now and I'm a bit confused about something.  NAC Proverbs claims that מוּסַר occurs 36 times in Hebrews:

This is indicated in words like "right and fair"6 and "discipline."7

EDIT: sorry, I thought the footnotes would come along for the ride:

7 מוּסָר occurs thirty-six times in Proverbs and is thus a key concept in the "education" the book advocates. See TWOT, s.v. יָסַר (1.386–87).

In contrast, if I do a BWS on the lemma, ESV says 29 occurances, while KJV and NASB say 30.  My confusion is that if anything, I would expect the BWS numbers to be higher than the NAC claim since BWS uses the lemma.  Can anybody shed some light on this...I have no language training, so I can't dig through the Hebrew and see for myself without far more effort than I have time for.

Thanks!

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 12:07 PM

The NAC quote is imprecise as the TWOT article (with the counts) covers both the verb (ysr) and the noun. I searched a couple Hebrew Bibles and came up with 35 hits in Proverbs for the combined search. I'd have to dig a bit further to see what's going on with 35 vs. 36, but that explains most of the difference.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 3:25 PM

Vincent Setterholm:

The NAC quote is imprecise as the TWOT article (with the counts) covers both the verb (ysr) and the noun. I searched a couple Hebrew Bibles and came up with 35 hits in Proverbs for the combined search. I'd have to dig a bit further to see what's going on with 35 vs. 36, but that explains most of the difference.

Perfect, that's good enough for me.  Thanks Vincent!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS