Page 4 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 10:20 AM

I'd also like to add my vote for the development of a Logos for Kindle (or any other e-reader which uses the digital ink). I think such an agreement might be an immensely helpful both to Logos and to the producer of whatever e-reader the agreement was reached with.I know that personally, if Logos announced a partnership with Kindle today, I'd buy a Kindle tomorrow. not only would this obviously increased Kindle sales, I think it make people more likely to purchase Logos books as well.I know I've heard many people complain that although it's great to have books and Logos. They really would want to buy anything other than reference material. I personally buy books, I know I'll just read and Logos format, but the eyestrain is definitely a drawback. Having the volumes available for reading in Kindle would definitely make the reading experience more enjoyable. Personally, I think such a move would be a huge step forward even if it didn't come with anything but the books themselves.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:14 PM

Robert C. Kuefner Jr.:
I realize some might want to do that with their logos material if it was on a device like kindle, but I think if Bob and the Logos team could simply develop a kindle app with the new app store, which would access my logos books, I would read the hundreds of books I have in Logos format... man I can just imagine sitting down and reading through Luther's Works, or the Leadership Library, soaking it all in.

Bob, I agree.

One thing that would be important to me though, is that I DO LIKE to highlight.

So being able to read a book, highlight it on L4, then go to the Kindle and have the highlights already done show up, would really be great.

Going to the doctor's office is a great place for me to pull out my iPhone and proceed reading, where I left off.  Then go back home and my Kindle has the changes in location noted and I read from where I took off.

I suspect that within 5 years, there will be some big changes to how ebooks work.  For one, there will be more flexibility in reading some file formats on other devices.  Perhaps Amazon will not permit other devices to read theirs, but you can already read Kindle on iPhone and on the PC.  If Amazon permitted copying a .mobi file, then there would be little to hold them back.

Of course, the color might be nice.  What I did with my Olivetree stuff is set a beige background with dark brown letters.  Quite easy on my eyes.

Posts 2
Michael Blake | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 7:54 PM

I would like to see Logos for Kindle as well.

Posts 88
Nancy A. Almodovar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 18 2010 5:20 AM

I received an email this morning from amazon.com  evidently you can now install a Kindle app on your desktop.  Is Logos going to create an app for Kindle?

Posts 14
Robert Balsinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:00 AM

I read my Logos 4 Library on my Kindle everyday. Use the Web browser to access the mobile site. (library.logos.com) I logged in a long time ago with the basic browser and now access my Library with the browser in Advanced Mode. Not being Java enabled limits some features, but I read everyday without having to break out the laptop.

Rob

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:39 AM

Rob,

thanks for the tip.. .I used advanced mode and it worked! I'd still like to see an actual kindle app if it'd be possible, but this works, and allows me to get access to my books on my kindle so I can't complain...

Blessings,

Rob

Posts 607
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:47 AM

Rob and Rob,

Can you enlarge the font size for reading using this method?

Posts 14
Robert Balsinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:48 AM

yes.

This has been possible with what I have been reading but like I said, no java, so some things are not going to work right. (Like the search box, you have to enter a edit mode by typing a character, then manually deleting the default entry in order to enter your search terms. Results are handled just fine though).

Rob

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:48 AM

Robert Balsinger:

I read my Logos 4 Library on my Kindle everyday. Use the Web browser to access the mobile site. (library.logos.com) I logged in a long time ago with the basic browser and now access my Library with the browser in Advanced Mode. Not being Java enabled limits some features, but I read everyday without having to break out the laptop.

Rob

Alas, the browser is disabled for international Kindle users... and I am based in the UK.

It is good that those based in the US are able to access their library on the Kindle... A Kindle app would be good for those of us who are based elsewhere in the world (and I suspect preferable to the browser for those based in the US).

Posts 2840
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:50 PM

This was the first time I tried it as I didn't even know the Kindle had an advanced mode. It is ok. A little slow. But nice to have.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2010 4:09 PM

Robert Balsinger:

ROB!!!

You know what you did?

You have fed my addiction!!!

I notice that the list of books is the same as what shows up on my iPhone, so I am still missing those resources, which Logos has still not gotten permission for.  I was hoping (silly me), that the resources shown would be compatible with the actual list on L4; not the list on the iPhone.

I notice however, that I was able to open these resources, by going the route you "enlightened us" upon.

So thanks!!

Posts 2
Shari Coughenour | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 29 2010 12:35 PM

New to online access.  Can I access my library online with the kindle with Libronix? I haven't updated to Logos.

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:47 PM

Any chance that someone could make a video of this and post it on YouTube or some other site?  I would be really interested to see how this works, as well as how the quality compares to my imagination.  

It seems great, but I also know that technology can seem better than it actually is.  I've heard that the Kindle turns pages slowly, so I'd also be interested in seeing what that would be like.

(Does this mean that the BN reader and others can also access Logos online?)

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:22 PM

Joel J.:

Any chance that someone could make a video of this and post it on YouTube or some other site?  I would be really interested to see how this works, as well as how the quality compares to my imagination.  

It seems great, but I also know that technology can seem better than it actually is.  I've heard that the Kindle turns pages slowly, so I'd also be interested in seeing what that would be like.

(Does this mean that the BN reader and others can also access Logos online?)

It really has nothing to do with the reader, as much as it has to do with a device's ability to access the Internet.

In the same way a person might access their Logos from work, assuming they did not have L4 on their work machine, you can access your books thru this interface.

I tried it last night and here is what I found.

If you have a Kindle, there is an "Experimental" tab in the MENU dropdown.  One is Basic Internet.  From there, you just type in the web address indicated a few messages above.  It is VERY SLOW.  Once it worked though, it worked!  All the books I see on my iPhone are available in this format.

But this is not a substitute for an iPhone.  It is really for those, who do not have an iPhone and need access to their Logos books on a Kindle.

Frankly, the iPhone interface is quicker and easier.  Period. 

The drawbacks include the apparent inability to increase the font size.  Accessing your books as indicated above, bring up the selection on of course, a black and white screen.  The font appears as what you would expect to see in a contract, fine print.  IF there is a simple "increase font size" button, I did not yet locate it.

I would druther have the Kindle able to access the Logos books directly, but in the absence, the iPhone would do, with the requisite improvements.  Those include notes, highlights, etc.

It will be interesting to see, just how people feel about the Logos access by way of an iPad.

Posts 14
Robert Balsinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2010 1:10 AM

To increase font on my Kindle I press 'AA' key located near the 'space' bar. A number of screen formatting options are available.

Rob

PS I just put the Kindle app on my BB 9530. I like.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:53 AM

I couldn't see that anyone else had done it, so I have added a Kindle/e-reader related suggestion to the user suggestions forum, here. Feel free to vote!

Posts 343

It appears that Logos has no plans to make Logos available on the Kindle.

“The Kindle just gives you a definition,” says Pritchett, who sees Amazon as competition and has not made Logos’ material available for the Kindle. “We are stepping way beyond that with a text comparison report, multiple translations and the difference in wording between those translations. It is a study tool, not just a reading tool.”

http://seattlebusinessmag.com/article/digitizing-word

Jason Saling

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 12:55 PM

Hi Jason, this blog about "The Network Effect" further explains the value of the Logos approach.

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/05/the_network_effect.html

Blessings

PS

I look forward to meeting with you at the upcoming presentation!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 343

Joe Miller:

Hi Jason, this blog about "The Network Effect" further explains the value of the Logos approach.

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/05/the_network_effect.html

Agreed!  Logos on the iPad is amazing when compared to the limited features of the Kindle.  I know many  make fun of the iPad as simply being a larger iPod Touch, and in some respects that is true, but as an enhanced E-book Reader it is awesome!

Jason Saling

Posts 2884
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2010 6:53 AM

Rob Suggs:
It's built for reading, and it's great for that.

That is the point.  That is why any book that you intend to read extensively, from cover to cover, will be better on a kindle than the "big screen."  Now for Bible study, reference work, searching, etc. there is nothing like Logos on the computer.  For reading, the Kindle is a thousand times better.

People are already reading their Logos resources on the Kindle.  It is just awkward to do so now.  The Kindle is such a popular format that I think Logos will eventually be more accommodating to it.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 4 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS