Logos in Other Language Support

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:45 PM

Hello

After looking at the setting i see under languages: Brazilian, Portuguese, English, Spanish, and Swedish.

Do we have support of other languages, I have friends that are thinking of ordering a copy of Logos.

Does it have support for the Korean and Russian Language?

Were do we go to findout about language support for Logos 4?

Thank You Lee

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 12100
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2012 11:35 PM

Lee Garrison:
After looking at the setting i see under languages: Brazilian, Portuguese, English, Spanish, and Swedish.

Lee, you need to differentiate. Logos 4 as a software currently is available in these languages. This means, the user interface (UI, such as menus etc) is displayed in one of these and the command line accepts commands in these languages.

Lee Garrison:
Does it have support for the Korean and Russian Language?

In theory, Logos supports all conceivable languages (including Klingon) since it supports unicode. This means, you can have resources in any of these (there are e.g. Russian bibles in Logos). Unfortunately, the number of available resources besides English and Spanish is very very small, since Logos needs to see a certain number of paying customers to create them. Users of non-UI languages need to get along with one of the five UIs you named above - thus I enter John 3:16 to go to Johannes 3,16 in a German-language bible.

Lee Garrison:
I have friends that are thinking of ordering a copy of Logos.
Friends that live in the US (or educated Koreans) can probably cope with this - Russian peasants in Siberia maybe not. If you need Logos features and resources, but a native UI in foreign languages, try Logos 3 (Libronix), which supports a high number of languages and can run along Logos 4. Both programs are free and there are a number of free resources, so have them try it!

The problem of missing resources in other languages can somewhat be countered by producing them by yourself in the Personal Book tool. This tool supports some more languages in terms of automatically generating bible references e.g. in Czech language and style (don't know about Russian or Korean).  

Hope this helps,

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:42 AM

Thanks Mick

The main reason is that I have friends from South Korea, some can speak english but not all. I am teaching English to a few also. I think the thing to see if Logos 4 has a Korean Bible. And some resources of Logos 4 maybe have to be interacted with in one the languages supported by the Ul.

I have only used the software for about a year myself, so for me to explain what it can and can't do is hard at times.

Lee 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 12100
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 6:02 AM

Lee Garrison:
I think the thing to see if Logos 4 has a Korean Bible

It seems that Logos used to sell one or more versions of the Korean Bible (see this thread) but right now there is no product page on Logos.com - maybe it will come back to the shop as a Logos employee indicated they were fixing some technical bugs in the resource.

You may also be able to find people selling it somewhere on the web (if it was a Libronix resource) or maybe someone created a Personal Book from a public domain version.

All the best,

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2012 6:22 AM

NB.Mick ...  you kind of touch on a 'curious' spot (I won't say 'sore' spot). And I think I remember english isn't your first choice either. But studying 'the text' (as being described in the thread on Logos4 vs BW9) doesn't demand 'english' per se. Though english is my first language, I skip along pretty decent untangling the apparatus in latin, a lot of the intros in german, one I remember in french (Spicq?), etc.

But more importantly there's an odd assumption that due to many of the lexicons etc being in english that the english > greek interface or english > hebrew represents 'meaning'. I live in a Japanese/English and Navajo/English world where the 'concreteness' of these lexicons is silly. It's especially silly to assume meaning over centuries. To illustrate, if one is married, one fully realizes that a language often is not communicated even between experts like a husband/wife.

Additionally I AM troubled with the VERY limited support for the Asian folks (mainly Korean and Chinese; not sure of Russian etc) where much of the largest growth in new believers is found. I know, I know ... Logos is a business! We mustn't worry about why people are even involved with Logos.

But my apologies if this sounds like criticism; it isn't. I just think too many people view 'english' as the  'true meaning'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS