Notes vs. Highlights

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 20
Gregory Pittman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:36 PM

When I add a note in Logos for iOS, in order to get the note to pop up on tap, I have to include an icon with the note (including the highlight/underline). If I choose not to include the icon, the behavior on tap is identical to highlights, whereby on tap, the only thing that pops up is an "Edit highlight" command. Only if I tap on "Edit highlight" can I see the note. But the addition of an icon is visually intrusive.

It would be helpful if I could have the option to not include an icon for a note while having the ability to still view the note when I tap the highlighted/underlined passage.

Does that make sense? I would post images to show what I'm talking about but I haven't posted enough on these forums.

Posts 29612
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 5:52 AM

Gregory Pittman:
It would be helpful if I could have the option to not include an icon for a note while having the ability to still view the note when I tap the highlighted/underlined passage.

Gregory Pittman:
I would post images to show what I'm talking about but I haven't posted enough on these forums.

Here is a screen shot of a popup note. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:05 AM

Gregory Pittman:

I am not from Logos, but speaking from a programmer's point of view, this would very difficult to do.  I personally have 1,000's of note.  When I have several notes for the same verse, which note should pop up?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:22 AM

tom collinge:
When I have several notes for the same verse, which note should pop up?

If they're all notes to the same verse, why not consolidate them into one note?  Generally (there are a few exceptions) my notes are ordered by book and chapter.  If I find something I want to add, I pull up the note file on that section.  Just think, then you don't get the wrong note, you get all of the notes on the passage.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 7:05 AM

George Somsel:
If they're all notes to the same verse, why not consolidate them into one note?  Generally (there are a few exceptions) my notes are ordered by book and chapter.  If I find something I want to add, I pull up the note file on that section.  Just think, then you don't get the wrong note, you get all of the notes on the passage.

Because each note file has unique type of information.  For an example, I have a note file for each hymnal that we use (six total), and each hymn has a note for each scripture verse that it references.  For an example, Take Up Your Cross, the Savior Said references Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27, Mark 8:34, Matthew 10:38, and Matthew 16:24.  Therefore, this hymn will has five notes in my ELW hymnal note file.

<rant>In L3, each hymnal note file had its own unique color.  The kind folks at Logos decided that 90% of my note icons needed to be yellow.  Now, I do not know why hymnal each hymn is in.  THANKS LOGOS!  This is one of my reasons why I still use L3!!!!!!!!!</rant>

My notes are also divided by the lectionary year (so I have year A notes, year b notes, and year c notes).  <rant>They too use to be color coded</rant> so that I could easy tell which note was a hymnal note, which note was a year a note, ... 

Posts 20
Gregory Pittman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:14 AM

alabama24:

Here is a screen shot of a popup note. Smile

Perfect, alabama24! Thank you. And I'll file this reference in the same category as the first mention of baseball (In the big inning, Gen. 1:1).

Posts 20
Gregory Pittman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:18 AM

I may very well be wrong, but I think Tom's usage is not necessarily shared by the majority of Logos users. Even it if it is, his problem remains whether my suggestion is adopted or not. Whether or not you have tap an icon or the highlighted passage, that doesn't solve Tom's multiple note issue. That issue is currently present and won't be hindered or helped by my suggestion.

I haven't tried it, but I would never have even thought to try to add multiple separate notes to the same passage. I would have automatically combined them as George has suggested.

Posts 20
Gregory Pittman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:32 AM

tom collinge:
<rant>In L3, each hymnal note file had its own unique color.  The kind folks at Logos decided that 90% of my note icons needed to be yellow.  Now, I do not know why hymnal each hymn is in.  THANKS LOGOS!  This is one of my reasons why I still use L3!!!!!!!!!</rant>

My notes are also divided by the lectionary year (so I have year A notes, year b notes, and year c notes).  <rant>They too use to be color coded</rant> so that I could easy tell which note was a hymnal note, which note was a year a note, ... 

Tom, in Logos 4 (at least on the iOS version), I can choose the color of the icon. Can you not? Believe it or not, I don't use the desktop version nearly as much as I do the iOS version, but I'm fairly certain I can choose the icon color there, too.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:00 AM

Gregory Pittman:
Tom, in Logos 4 (at least on the iOS version), I can choose the color of the icon. Can you not? Believe it or not, I don't use the desktop version nearly as much as I do the iOS version, but I'm fairly certain I can choose the icon color there, too.
I still use L3 if I need to use my notes.  Because I update my notes so often, I delete all of my notes in L4 and then re-import them from L3.  So there is no reason for me to re-do all of my work to change the icon color.

I am hoping that the text editor Logos is creating will force them to re-do the import command. 

Posts 20
Gregory Pittman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2012 7:00 AM

Just a follow up: the notes icon in Faithlife Study Bible app is less intrusive than the icon for Logos. The bent corner (representing a Post-It note) and the lighter border are all better than the straight square and black border in Logos. Maybe this icon will find its way over to big sister?

Posts 29612
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:10 AM

Gregory Pittman:
Maybe this icon will find its way over to big sister?

I have no inside info on this, but Bob has said that the Faithlife app will drive the development of the next version of the Logos app. I think your thought is likely.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS