Logos 4 will not open-again, will this never end!

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:31 AM

Logos 4 once again will not open. Newest stable release, osx Lion, but really, none of that matters.

Worked yesterday, will not work today.

Icon jumps up and down, goes to sign in screen, then just goes away.

Tried starting to blank layout-no dice.

Tried starting in offline mode- no dice.

NO, I will not post logs, or anything else other than ask for a refund if need be.

It is not my job to make Logos Products work.

I am not signed on to Beta Channel and refuse to post logs like a beta tester.

Yep, if you noticed I am upset, you would be quite correct.

I either want software that works as advertised, does so regularly,  and can be depended on or, I would like a complete refund of my hard earned money.

Thank you very much.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:55 AM

Tried cleaning computer-No Help.

Tried Permissions repair-No Help.

Tried uninstall and re-install-No Help.

Tried uninstall and go back to last known working Logos- No Help.

Logos is dead on my machine.

All other programs working per norms.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 7:31 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
NO, I will not post logs, or anything else other than ask for a refund if need be.

Recommend calling Logos Customer Service => http://www.logos.com/about/contact to request refund.  Optionally could request Logos Tech Support to remotely share desktop screen for diagnosis.

From recent Logos 4 Mac forum reading, am aware of several Logos 4 Mac users who are experiencing application failure to launch.  Unfortunately Logos 4.5c SR-2 (4.53.0.2280) is working on my iMac so not any ideas about launch issues.  From reading many diagnostic log files, am aware of many causes for launch failures.

Observation: on computers that can have a variety of applications installed, some times am reminded of kindergarten classes since some applications do not play well with others.

If upgraded to OS X Lion via an App Store purchase, one option is creating an OS X Lion virtual machine that is dedicated to Logos use.  Another option is using a Windows virtual machine that is essentially dedicated for Logos 4 use.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Tried uninstall and re-install-No Help.

Wonder if uninstall included all files =>Uninstalling Logos 4 Mac ? (especially mono registry)

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Tried Permissions repair-No Help.

After looking at a Logos 4 Mac pre-release alpha thread => Logging in wonder about file permissions ?  In Terminal, please run this list (ls) command to show hidden files (a) with long listing (l) and include sub directories (R), then post output:

ls -alR ~/.config

ls -alR ~/.mono

Note: if permission(s) were changed on these hidden folders to prevent you from writing, Logos 4 Mac will refuse to sign in.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:13 AM

Dear Smiling: The whole point is: Nothing changed in my mac except Logos.Been on lion a long time. Logos was working, then they post a new service release. ,my guess is that this has something to do with that.

This also has to do with Logos not being a very good and honest company.

I have never, ever had any other software that is as unstable as Logos and I have been using software a long, long time.

Logos just cannot be depended on. 

As far as tech support, they will not be available today as I am sure you are aware.

So a nice day of study away from the usual stresses is now out the window as far as Logos participation.

One is NOT supposed to have to look at terminal, run logs and constantly have to try and tweak and repair software that is not Alpha or Beta, but a stable release.

It's just not done smiling, just not done.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:15 AM

by the way: Do not understand Permissions list instructions.

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:44 AM

Starting to share the frustrations. I decided to do exegesis for next sermon series o Mac/logos to really put it through its paces. Every time I try to do something half-way complex it crashes. Windows version still works optimally.

I am getting the impression that we are constantly debugging this software. I have nearly a thousand bucks invested in this program and just want it to work. Last weekend's service update nearly sent me over the edge. Each time it crashed I sent the details to apple. Maybe a deluge of information to the Mother ship will help:)

I understand the appeal of being on multiple platforms. That assumes it works on all platforms.

(getting on soapbox) Logos, for preachers, pastors, teachers (i.e. clergy), is a professional tool. I encourage my peers to invest in the best professional tools. Many still work on free or open source Bible programs, which is their right, but I point out that accountants, designers, architects, lawyers, etc. have professional tools for their disciplines. For the preacher Bible software is a professional tool. If my tools are broke I am in serious trouble. Yes Logos is breaking new ground and providing a mountain of new books. However, if I take my new car to the dealership  because the transmission is not shifting properly I will be very unhappy if the dealer tells me that "we are completely rethinking the paradigm of transmissions on multiple platforms, it will take some time and testing to work out all the kinks..." That should be done before the new paradigm is rolled out.

Bible software must be fast, accurate, detailed and responsive or it is like a transmission which does not shift.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:00 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

by the way: Do not understand Permissions list instructions.

Inside the Applications folder is the Utilities folder.  One of the Utilities is Terminal.  Please copy one line (list command), switch to Terminal, paste, press enter to run command, then copy command output and paste into a forum reply:

ls -alR ~/.config

ls -alR ~/.mono

Observation: these hidden folders are in your personal Library folder on your Mac.  From a security perspective, writing to hidden folders is a technique used by a number of malware programs.   The printing system and trash on your Mac also uses hidden folders in your personal Library.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Dear Smiling: The whole point is: Nothing changed in my mac except Logos.Been on lion a long time. Logos was working, then they post a new service release. ,my guess is that this has something to do with that.

With a variety of anguishing computer experiences, personally not know if new service release is at fault.  Am aware of six Logos 4 Mac users experiencing login issues within the past six weeks.  Not know if issue(s) are related.  Likewise not know if Logos 4.5c revamp of user interface code generation has any annoyance(s).

Using a virtual machine that is dedicated to Logos tends to avoid surprise(s) from other program(s) that do not play well.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I have never, ever had any other software that is as unstable as Logos and I have been using software a long, long time.

With 37 years using software on a variety of platforms, have experienced software more unstable than Logos 4 Mac along with a number of annoying interactions between various applications.  Also noticing software industry trend to release early and often, which includes lots of buggy behavior.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
So a nice day of study away from the usual stresses is now out the window as far as Logos participation.

Understand Logos anguish as have experienced needing many days to completely rebuild my library index, including being offline while rebuilding so a small resource download does not interrupt library indexing.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
One is NOT supposed to have to look at terminal, run logs and constantly have to try and tweak and repair software that is not Alpha or Beta, but a stable release.

+1 Yes

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:07 AM

tried uninstall as per instructions ( could not find Mono File) - downloaded Logos and installed. No change.

Logs show many Mono failures ( as usual ).

Do not understand Terminal info-scares me.

Seems every holiday-Logos crash

Weekends- Logos crash.

If weekday when tech support available - no crash.

While you may see many crashes etc. as one working in/with software development , it is not the norm here on the consumer end.

Honestly and truthfully. Logos is the only software that has crashed on me in years.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:13 AM

Last login: Wed Apr 18 06:19:44 on console

rusty-mathenys-macbook-2:~ rustymatheny$ 

Last login: Wed Jul  4 09:53:17 on console

rusty-mathenys-macbook-2:~ rustymatheny$ ls -alR ~/.config

total 0

drwxr-xr-x   3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Jul 25  2010 .

drwxr-xr-x  26 rustymatheny  staff  884 Jul  4 09:53 ..

drwxr-xr-x   4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Jul 25  2010 .mono

/Users/rustymatheny/.config/.mono:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Jul 25  2010 .

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Jul 25  2010 ..

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Jul 25  2010 certs

drwx------  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Jul 25  2010 keypairs

/Users/rustymatheny/.config/.mono/certs:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Jul 25  2010 .

drwxr-xr-x  4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Jul 25  2010 ..

drwxr-xr-x  2 rustymatheny  staff   68 Jul 25  2010 Trust

/Users/rustymatheny/.config/.mono/certs/Trust:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  2 rustymatheny  staff   68 Jul 25  2010 .

/Users/rustymatheny/.config/.mono/keypairs:

total 8

drwx------  3 rustymatheny  staff   102 Jul 25  2010 .

drwxr-xr-x  4 rustymatheny  staff   136 Jul 25  2010 ..

-rw-------  1 rustymatheny  staff  1448 Jul 25  2010 [1][98f3a7e3-0d6e-f432-8a18-e1144b53633f][-1].xml

total 0

total 0

total 0

total 0

total 8

-rw-------  1 rustymatheny  staff  1448 Jul 25  2010 [1][98f3a7e3-0d6e-f432-8a18-e1144b53633f][-1].xml

rusty-mathenys-macbook-2:~ rustymatheny$ ls -alR ~/.mono

total 0

drwxr-xr-x   4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Aug  9  2011 registry

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry:

total 8

drwxr-xr-x  4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Aug  9  2011 .

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 CurrentUser

-rw-r--r--  1 rustymatheny  staff    3 Jul  4 10:59 last-btime

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 .

drwxr-xr-x  4 rustymatheny  staff  136 Aug  9  2011 ..

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 software

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 ..

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 logos4

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/logos4:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 users

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/logos4/users:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 unxu6v29.yyq

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/logos4/users/unxu6v29.yyq:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  3 rustymatheny  staff  102 Mar  2  2011 version

/Users/rustymatheny/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/logos4/users/unxu6v29.yyq/version:

total 8

-rw-r--r--  1 rustymatheny  staff  144 Jul  4 02:45 values.xml

total 0

total 0

total 0

total 0

total 8

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:30 AM

Agreed Robert. I have about 2 grand invested and cannot do my work with any sense of satisfaction. Most of the time, a great sense of fear every time I start to load Logos : Is it going to work this time? I have crashes every single day, bugs every single day, things that do not work- every single day.

This is not a toy for me, it is not a game , this is one of the tools of my trade/vocation and one I have spent heavily on even though I have only a small income. In other words, I do without other things so I can invest in the tools of my Trade.

Pretty horrible situation for me.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:39 AM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
Bible software must be fast, accurate, detailed and responsive or it is like a transmission which does not shift.

+1 Yes or grind the gears while shifting.

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
Each time it crashed I sent the details to apple. Maybe a deluge of information to the Mother ship will help:)

Crash reports to Apple can take awhile to reach Logos.  Also Apple crash reports lack Logos contextual usage information, including steps how to repeat.  Logos has diagnostic logging, which can be enabled to capture the contextual information.

With your permission, Logos Tech Support => http://www.logos.com/about/contact can remotely share screens with you for problem diagnosis.

Wiki Mac Troubleshooting includes => How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
I am getting the impression that we are constantly debugging this software. I have nearly a thousand bucks invested in this program and just want it to work.

At times, using Logos 4 does feel like constant debugging of free software.  Logos 4 Mac needs many improvements => Feature Parity yet has an amazing amount of features when (if) working.

Personally Thankful that Logos is able to pay for developers to work on free Logos software, which is funded by resource purchases.  Also Thankful for Logos resource licensing to purchase once then use on many electronic devices.  Personally am a bit of a heretic, Dell Outlet Business has a 20 % Independence Day sale that includes tablets running Windows 7 so purchased one for mobile use with Logos 4 because the Logos iOS mobile app is less capable.  With 2 GB RAM and 1.5 GHz Intel Atom processor, am anticipating some slowness issues, yet am looking forward to a mobile tablet that can have more than two resources open plus some visual filter highlighting.

Likewise Thankful for Logos visual filter highlighting so can see range of verbal expression in a passage.  Wiki Extended Tips for Visual Filters has => Examples of visual filters with Logos 4 Mac screenshots showing a number of visual filters.  Personally not know of a competitor for morphological highlighting in Greek and English that can combine hundreds of search results at one time.  Caveat: Logos 4 on Mac and PC can take awhile to combine visual filter search results.

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
I understand the appeal of being on multiple platforms. That assumes it works on all platforms.

Currently Logos 4 on Windows is more capable and often a bit more stable than Logos 4 Mac; easy to switch platforms.  Running Logos 4 in a Windows virtual machine on Mac (or linux) is an option, although need to have an appropriate Windows license.  Caveat: personally have crashed Logos 4 on PC many times; some bugs exist in Logos 4 on Mac and PC.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:45 AM

KS4J .... are you guys now arguing that Logos4-Windows should have feature parity with the Mac? (the feature being bugginess levels).

Personally my crashes on Logos4 have always turned out to be 'hidden features' since they allowed quickly exiting without resetting the 'last used layout' (at the time anyway).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:50 AM

Removed Mono. Reloaded Logos, got Eula screen, agreed to terms. Nothing, logos still will not load anything. My day is going away quickly.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:52 AM

Removed by poster.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:04 AM

Sorry for the bother and being so caustic.

Very frustrated and just plain tired of this.

Have a major investment in software that works, at best, 50 to 60 % of the time.

Not grateful for that time it does not work.

Will refrain from posting in future.

So sorry for bad manners.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:15 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

While you may see many crashes etc. as one working in/with software development , it is not the norm here on the consumer end.

Honestly and truthfully. Logos is the only software that has crashed on me in years.

Can appreciate Logos 4 Mac being only application that crashes on your computer.

Personally prefer Mac's over Windows since many applications just work.  Unfortunately, Logos 4 does not fit that paradigm.  Dreaming about Logos software that consistently works along with being fast on Mac and PC.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Do not understand Terminal info-scares me.

Understand: Terminal on Mac is similar to Registry Editor on Windows, both need to used carefully since both have opportunities for awful consequences.

The permissions and sizes for hidden folders .config and .mono match mine so am puzzled by Logos 4 not opening, especially for offline use.  Using the command key so login dialog box appears should also create a Logos4.log file.  Wondering if file has anything interesting ?

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Smiling: Don't know what it is you think Logos can do that Accordance cannot, but you are mistaken.

Personally have not seen Accordance combine search results in Greek and English resources:

One set of Logos visual filters works in Greek and English resources with appropriate tagging.  In Philippians 4:4-9, seven imperative commands are highlighted, including one with negation (visual filter highlights "do" and "be" added in English translation).  Also noticed middle voice used in verses 8 and 9.  The ESV translation supplies the word "the" in Philippians 4:4 as part of a prepositional phrase.  In verse 5, the definite article is highlighted since corresponding lemma is in Greek text.  Rejoice imperative in Philippians 4:4 is plural while reasonableness be known in verse 5 is singular.  The highlighting of God in verses 6 and 7 is being done with Louw-Nida domain numbers for contextual usage.  Verse 7 has a participle (with an image above to remind me of noun and verbal aspects in a participle).  Three verbs are in future tense while six verbs are present tense.  Also many conjunctions have an image to show kind of use (e.g. question mark for conditional).

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Seems every holiday-Logos crash

Weekends- Logos crash.

If weekday when tech support available - no crash.

Been there, done that (as a consumer and technician).  Have had a number of computers behave when being watched.  Also thought about phrase: "never let anything mechanical know you are in a hurry."  At times, seems the fictional "Love Bug" from a Disney movie is alive in a variety of computers.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

So glad you can write code to fix you own, the rest of us are just shoved over the cliff.

Wow Guy, some of us are upset and "cannot do our WORK" and your elated?

Elated = No.  Paul was in prison when he penned Philippians.  Logos images of Roman prisons show much discomfort.  When working with computers, am Thankful can cry out to God: "Help !" since He already knows what is happening.  Choosing to obey God's command to Rejoice always has been personally worthwhile.  For troubleshooting issues, many prayers plus a calm, positive attitude does wonders.

Also not have access to the Logos code so have joined many users in a variety of trips off a cliff.  At this point, not know how many Logos 4 crashes and issues have been replicated on computers provided for my use by God.  My troubleshooting skills are a bit more advanced; albeit at times feel like a crash dummy => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/42983/346671.aspx#346671 (note: crash dummy image is not smiling so would not use for an overlay on my avatar).

Personally have learned a lot from many forum discussions about using Logos Bible Software; my boundaries of ignorance continue to expand.

Likewise appreciate customer base for Logos Bible Software who want professional quality software to use many hours every day.  Was disappointed by Logos shipping 4.5b to Mac stable channel with a number of regressions.  Logos 4.5c fixed most regressions in 4.5b.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:22 AM

Again, my apologies for being ugly, have removed what I thought offensive.

Am used to "regedit", not so much with terminal etc.

Have tried multiple times to open in" blank layout "as well as "offline" - no joy.

Done everything I can think of, you have suggested and I can find online.

No Joy on all accounts.

Do not know where file is you wanted to see.

Study day lost-gone, cannot be gotten back- no joy in this.

Thanks for trying.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:44 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Have tried multiple times to open in" blank layout "as well as "offline" - no joy.

When command key is used to launch Logos 4 Mac, a Logos4.log file should be created (or overwritten) in your ~/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging folder.  Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting includes:

OS X Lion note: by default, ~/Library folder is hidden, with many ways to see contents => http://www.macworld.com/article/161156/2011/07/view_library_folder_in_lion.html and can assign keyboard shortcut =>http://mac.finerthingsin.com/post/7849528212/lion-library-folder-visible

Other option is download and use 5504.Logos4MacLogging.app.zip to display your logging setting, then change to enable logging.

The terminal command defaults can write to a parameter list (plist) file on Mac OS X.  The plist files are similar to registry keys in WIndows.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Study day lost-gone, cannot be gotten back- no joy in this.

Crying Sharing some tears with you.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:21 PM

DMB:
KS4J .... are you guys now arguing that Logos4-Windows should have feature parity with the Mac? (the feature being bugginess levels).

Dreaming about Logos Bible Software that consistently works well on a variety of platforms with awesome study capabilities.

Also dreaming and praying about many feature parity improvements in Logos 4 Mac.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:56 PM

Will look for file later, have to "back away" from this a bit.

If have to re-download everything and put my Mac through that horrible indexing process again, I am pretty sure i'm just done.

Thought it was going to burn up my Mac last time-whew!

I will try again tonight and if no go, call tech support tomorrow if possible.

See, the problem there is this: My schedule stays very full, really booked all the time. Booking my time to fix Logos is not in my regular scheduling of weekly/monthly work.

When I have to do this, Ministerial work is not getting done, much less study, lesson Prep, Sermon Prep. When this "Tool" does not work, then it affects not only study/lessons/sermons but also real Ministry and Admin. duties.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS