Strange Tab Behavior

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:16 AM

Ok, as of the last couple of updates (not sure which), whenever I have a number of tabs, such as after a passage search where I have my 5 tabbed Bibles, whenever I click on a different tab, it is like it doesn't want to go to that tab.  It is almost like a memory issue, where it is struggling to display the new information, but it shouldn't be that.  The computer is an i7 with 8 Gigs of RAM and a GTX 570 video card.  It should not be running low on resources for what opens in a simple passage guide search.  Anyone else having this issue?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:26 PM

This is very difficult for others to reproduce and also difficult to diagnose. Please provide a screenshot of your layout and more details of your computer (speed, HDD/SSD size). How much spare capacity on the HDD? What passage and what options in your Passage Guide (or was it a search on the Search menu)?

Try restarting your computer.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 3:54 PM

Dave Hooton:

This is very difficult for others to reproduce and also difficult to diagnose. Please provide a screenshot of your layout and more details of your computer (speed, HDD/SSD size). How much spare capacity on the HDD? What passage and what options in your Passage Guide (or was it a search on the Search menu)?

Try restarting your computer.

The speed is i7 2.8 GHZ, and the HDD is a 360 GB with 60 GB free.  It is like a refresh problem.  I just opened two random resources pinned to the top (so it happens with only a couple of open resources, and it doesn't matter which two), and even with those two only it still does it.  When I click on the second tab it seems as though it is not responding, but then a section of the other tab/text will block in, and then another section, and then the tab will completely change.  It has never done this before, and I am confident that it is not a hardware limitation.  Obviously it is not a problem for others, so I will probably just do a clean install of Logos in a couple of days.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2012 4:41 PM

Joseph Turner:
The speed is i7 2.8 GHZ, and the HDD is a 360 GB with 60 GB free. 

I would attempt  to free up more space (Recycle Bin, System Restore & Temp files via Disk Cleanup  or get hold of CCleaner) as you need at least 70 GB free for the OS. Then defragment the drive.

Joseph Turner:
I will probably just do a clean install of Logos in a couple of days.

See what happens after defragmenting.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 777
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:24 AM

A similar thing happened to me on Sunday morning as I was preparing a Sunday School class.  I had > 7 tabs open in 2 windows with 5 Bibles open.  When I created a morph visual filter over all O.T. Bible versions, then some tabs were frozen for 30 seconds at a time.  The disk access activity was in the background and low.

I noticed it because I had never seen behavior from Logos 4 like this before.

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 1:18 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

FYI, I did fix the issue.  After uninstalling and reinstalling Logos 4 I did not have any change in behavior.  I recently have been having problems with my wireless mouse and keyboard, like my mouse double clicks upon a single click, or I can’t drag items as it just registers a click/release.  I ordered a new mouse and keyboard over the weekend and have been waiting on them to come in.  Long story short (too late), as strange as it sounds, the mouse and keyboard were causing the above behavior, so technically it was a hardware issue!

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:44 PM

Joseph Turner:
so technically it was a hardware issue!

You  should also address free space issue.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:15 PM

Dave Hooton:

Joseph Turner:
so technically it was a hardware issue!

You  should also address free space issue.

I would be interested to see a source for Windows 7 needing 70 GB of free space in order to run.  I build all of my own computers, and I have never heard anything like this.  I have also run a Windows 7 machine down to less than 20 GB of free space without issue (although I did upgrade because I didn't want to run out).

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 5:38 PM

Joseph Turner:
I would be interested to see a source for Windows 7 needing 70 GB of free space in order to run. 

HDD need 20-25% free space to efficiently allocate files and to be able to defragment it when needed, else file operations begin to slow down (Windows will warn you at about 10%). I calculated  20% as roughly 70 GB in your case, but it would ideally be 90 GB!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:57 PM

Dave Hooton:

Joseph Turner:
I would be interested to see a source for Windows 7 needing 70 GB of free space in order to run. 

HDD need 20-25% free space to efficiently allocate files and to be able to defragment it when needed, else file operations begin to slow down (Windows will warn you at about 10%). I calculated  20% as roughly 70 GB in your case, but it would ideally be 90 GB!

I see what you're saying.  Most would argue about 20-25%, but it doesn't matter because I have 3 1TB drives that I use for file swapping and such.  The 320 GB is just my main drive. 

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 7:30 AM

FYI:  My problem did end up persisting.  I have two video cards:  a GTX 570 and a 9800 GT.  I had the latest Nvidia driver release which was 301.42.  Since I thought it was a video issue in the first place, I downloaded the newest beta NVidia driver and installed it (304.79).  As of right now, this seems to have fixed the problem.

Posts 26693
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2012 3:14 AM

Joseph Turner:
I downloaded the newest beta NVidia driver and installed it (304.79).  As of right now, this seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the update.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS